Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I dont miss flying much at all

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
I do miss flying (In J or F). I used to clock 70-100 sectors a year prior to the involuntary pause, and I look forward to going back on a plane to see new or familiar places, to eat different foods and gain new perspectives on the world. Sure, it does not have to be every week, but I certainly also do not want to be stuck at home or in the same country all year.
Old May 21, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I must admit, that before all this happening, I actually felt that I was rather sick of flying, having flown too much (relatively, for myself). Yet, when the lockdowns started happening, I had realised that I have taken the joy of flying for granted. Really, what I miss isn't those glorified seats upfront (though granted, they were comfy), but really what I miss is the exhilaration of taking-off and watching the clouds go by in a metal (or carbon) tube going 500 mph.

- A true example of the ingenuity of humankind.
“Humankind thinks they’re clever for learning how to fly, hehe”
Signed,
The birds, the bees, pterodactyl, et al
Old May 21, 2020, 6:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QRC3288
“Humankind thinks they’re clever for learning how to fly, hehe”
Signed,
The birds, the bees, pterodactyl, et al
hahahaha

yet, on a more serious note, I feel that for a species that can't fly, we're not half bad
Old May 21, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I must admit, that before all this happening, I actually felt that I was rather sick of flying, having flown too much (relatively, for myself). Yet, when the lockdowns started happening, I had realised that I have taken the joy of flying for granted. Really, what I miss isn't those glorified seats upfront (though granted, they were comfy), but really what I miss is the exhilaration of taking-off and watching the clouds go by in a metal (or carbon) tube going 500 mph.

- A true example of the ingenuity of humankind.
hahahaha

yet, on a more serious note, I feel that for a species that can't fly, we're not half bad
to give credit where it’s due, I’m pretty sure they can’t go 500mph...
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
For me, the flying is "just transportation", though should be at a sufficient comfort level to overcome the wearing out aspects of 24+ hours door to door.

So, important for me is: Decent lie-flat seat with sufficient privacy, a properly organized airline (IE reliable schedule, proper support when things go haywire, helpful staff without manners/attitudes -being DM helps with that- ) and a long segment long enough to have 8 hours of sleeping.

Food, Alcohol, mandatory chit-chat, bowing, etc is nice, though all secondary or even not relevant for me.

Serious plus would be decent onboard Internet at EU day-times.

It just seems, CX does fit that combination.

EK/EY/QR/TR would disqualify simply because being kicked out of the airplane for a couple of hours, halfway the trip, at the middle of the night. No top notch lounge can compensate for that.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
.....Btw I will add this problem is easy to solve at least half the time: Make the ISMs actually do work! ....
Actually, I do think, those ISMs are working very hard according their own perception: Just solving all the chaos they've created themselves, earlier on......

Though, I have to say, most ISM's I've experienced are on the "good" side.

Anyway, being the onboard manager, you have to be very careful to "join" in handling the operational workload, to avoid you lose the oversight of the operations and -sounds stupid- to keep some distance towards your workforce.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
I can see it being a hassle to travel for work but travelling for pleasure is rewarding and amazing.

​​​​​​I miss aviation in general. I had made and saved enough to retire early and travel to my heart's content via J class...No where to spend my money these days.

I consider myself lucky that I was able to take 6 transpacific flight last year before TSHTF.
craig44485 likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I confess that one of the things I do actually miss is the side benefit from travel of eating in Japan, especially sushi.
Me too!
And the huo guo in China!
nufnuf77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.