Wiki Posts
Search

I dont miss flying much at all

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
I dont miss flying much at all

I know we are all flying and travel enthusiasts at heart, but I find myself surprised at how little I miss flying. I am (at least pre-Covid) a 2 million miler on CX, PPS on SQ, and Platinum on VN: was on a plane 2-4 times a week, most weeks. I most especially love all the extra time I now have by not traveling; even a short hop like SGN to SIN or SGN to HKG takes 5 - 6 hours door to door, one way. I do miss the excitement of traveling to a new location or an old favorite that I don't visit frequently, but unfortunately 95% of my flights were not of this type.

In fact, I hope to maintain a much less intense travel profile when the world goes back to some level of normal.
QRC3288, nufnuf77, Deckter and 3 others like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Could not agree more and I expect to reduce my work travel by at least 50 per cent when this all settles.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
I miss it, but not as much as I thought I would.

Since international travel is not really possible right now, it's been nice to be "stuck" in China and travel around domestically some. I haven't done enough of that over the years for sure.
smartytravel and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: CX Gold
I miss flying 😔😞😔
Old May 15, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I'm in the same boat... I don't miss flying at all even though I'm pretty fortunate to fly in the front all the time. Have loved being at home under lock down. Right now not looking forward to restarting the grind in the future!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: Asiamiles
Wouldn't it because of peer pressure? if someone started flying, i may just want to go. i still hate the ten-abreast.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
I know what you mean. I was getting weary of flying before the virus hit. I’ve got a bit over 3 million BIS miles over the last 25 years and I think for the most part I’m done. Turns out I can work remotely just fine.

Called Chase and Amex today to cancel my mileage accruing cards and turn them into cash back cards. I have no interest in acquiring more miles. I’ll just burn the million or so I have left when the spirit moves me.

Or not.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by ss278; May 15, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Old May 16, 2020, 12:55 am

And this thread is why Warren Buffet dumped all his airline stock! A realignment of the industry is to come once everything settles.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, SQ Krisflyer Elite Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I feel as though the excitement of being on CX faded drastically even with the new service, especially when paying for F and J out of pocket. Even though I have only been travelling frequently for the past 5 or 6 years, I use to feel extremely excited to experience CX service even if I travel long haul F/J 2-3 times a week. However, now it just seems like CX is just a tool to get there and the booze and food are just small add-ons, and sometimes disappointing.
craig44485 and HarbourGent like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:13 am

I miss flying and actually being able to have a holiday, let alone being able to see my family who are in another country....

Let's get the vaccine and these 10-minute at-the-boarding gate tests already
Old May 17, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by CX HK
And this thread is why Warren Buffet dumped all his airline stock! A realignment of the industry is to come once everything settles.
I agree, but there's probably a number of scenarios that could happen depending on what happens. I know of people saying they couldn't wait to fly again because they thought airline fares would be really cheap given the extra capacity there would be with loads of people not wanting to fly. But then they hadn't considered that airlines would slash flights/staff/planes/etc.

From a work perspective I can imagine many boards are discovering that they and their staff can work effectively using web meetings. That's not going to wipe out all business travel as there will be scenarios where face to face meetings will still be important.

I think it's going to be a slow start for all airlines and there will be a modest recovery, but not to where we were before. It's in human nature to travel and explore, but people may be happy to take break. For me, I'm missing the ability to plan and have something to look forward to holiday wise. From a work perspective I recently started a new job and just went to visit my colleagues in other regions that I'm supposed to visit regularly but that's obviously gone out the window for now.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:50 pm

Weirdly, I miss the excellent Pier lounge even more than I miss flying! (specifically the showers, which have AWESOME water pressure and are absolutely perfect after stepping off a long-haul flight from Europe or the States). The Aesop amenities are really awesome as well. The wife has been pestering me to get her Aesop shampoo at the retail stores now
FlyingJazzy, sparkj and clubeurope like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by Chubbychun
I feel as though the excitement of being on CX faded drastically even with the new service, especially when paying for F and J out of pocket. Even though I have only been travelling frequently for the past 5 or 6 years, I use to feel extremely excited to experience CX service even if I travel long haul F/J 2-3 times a week. However, now it just seems like CX is just a tool to get there and the booze and food are just small add-ons, and sometimes disappointing.
I think that's possibly as a much a function of it no longer being new and exciting for you as it is a result of product deterioration:

- Certainly the F seat and IFE are miles better than 15 years ago.
- I think food is probably broadly similar, except for the changes to caviar and no more balik.
- Wine maybe worse
- Service still pretty damn good in F

I am sure that in my case, if I am honest about about it, flying F longhaul is much less exciting and enticing because I'm just jaded with it after ~100 flights, not because the product is so much worse now than before. I would previously consider longhaul flights in Y as unbearable, J as tolerable, and F as Enjoyable. I would now put F in the tolerable camp (personally).
​​​​​​​
craig44485 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I am sure that in my case, if I am honest about about it, flying F longhaul is much less exciting and enticing because I'm just jaded with it after ~100 flights, not because the product is so much worse now than before.​​​​​​​
Not exactly.

Although CX does not really have a MM program, because you have flown over 2MM (regardless of airlines), your fatigue about flying is starting to show. To you, flying, even in F, has no difference from having lunch.

I personally know this in a hard way (I am 62K away from being a MM with a true LT status).
Old May 18, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by garykung
Not exactly.

Although CX does not really have a MM program, because you have flown over 2MM (regardless of airlines), your fatigue about flying is starting to show. To you, flying, even in F, has no difference from having lunch.

I personally know this in a hard way (I am 62K away from being a MM with a true LT status).
My lifetime MPO miles is 961k and I am still pretty excited every time I fly, not that I would have the chance in the next couple of months at least. I thought I would cross the 1MM mark this year, but maybe not now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.