Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC status benefit is of no value... should I be upset? (COVID-19)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MPC status benefit is of no value... should I be upset? (COVID-19)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Angry MPC status benefit is of no value... should I be upset? (COVID-19)

I'm MPC DM with a renewal in June 2020. Current MPC Club Points balance is 1850. I received points relief in Feb, Mar, and Apr, and had flights in early March (PVG-HKG, HKG-KUL, BKK-HKG, HKG-PVG) for a total of 150 Club Points. My current DM status was renewed around December 2019. As it stood in early Janurary, I would have been DM until June 2021 based on club points accrual... however, due to COVID-19, CX automatically extended my status, DM, until, the same: June 2021.

If COVID-19 did not happen, I would have been DM until June 2021... however, since COVID-19 happened and I was unable to travel, CX offered relief for some members -- except the top spenders: me.

So, my renewal would have worked out like this:
  • No COVID-19 relief: June 2021
  • COVID-19 relief: June 2021
Yes I'm a whiny *****... I hope we can all travel soon... I have like 6 flights booked or on hold for the rest of the year with CX alone... but come on, why do they disregard what I assume to be the top 5% members?

Note to mod: Not sure if this should be merged with main relief thread.... I've lost track in the huge discussion most recently... use discretion
Old May 5, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
So your complaining... about what exactly? That everyone had their status renewed but you didnt get something special?
Old May 5, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
I'm MPC DM with a renewal in June 2020. Current MPC Club Points balance is 1850. I received points relief in Feb, Mar, and Apr, and had flights in early March (PVG-HKG, HKG-KUL, BKK-HKG, HKG-PVG) for a total of 150 Club Points. My current DM status was renewed around December 2019. As it stood in early Janurary, I would have been DM until June 2021 based on club points accrual... however, due to COVID-19, CX automatically extended my status, DM, until, the same: June 2021.

If COVID-19 did not happen, I would have been DM until June 2021... however, since COVID-19 happened and I was unable to travel, CX offered relief for some members -- except the top spenders: me.

So, my renewal would have worked out like this:
  • No COVID-19 relief: June 2021
  • COVID-19 relief: June 2021
Yes I'm a whiny *****... I hope we can all travel soon... I have like 6 flights booked or on hold for the rest of the year with CX alone... but come on, why do they disregard what I assume to be the top 5% members?

Note to mod: Not sure if this should be merged with main relief thread.... I've lost track in the huge discussion most recently... use discretion
I don't understand your point. You requalified for top tier status, what more ought the airline to have done for you?
Sozee, JordanWalker and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
I don't understand your point. You requalified for top tier status, what more ought the airline to have done for you?
Why do those who spend less get incentives but those who spend more do not?
Old May 5, 2020, 6:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Well in your case of fair, crediting points month-by-month based on last year's flying may seem fairer to you.

The downside is when flying partially resumes and CX has to figure out when to cease points crediting.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:35 pm

"If COVID-19 did not happen"
Old May 5, 2020, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nastypenman
"If COVID-19 did not happen"
Pro tip: There's a quote feature on the WYSIWYG editor.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I personally don't mind that people who flew less but were able to renew or get upgraded to DM. Thanks to the relief points, I was able to get the four bookable upgrades.

What I am more concerned about is when my membership starts in July, there is still much uncertainty if we can fly. I honestly wish CX just extended our 2019-2020 membership instead of automatically renewing our membership regardless of accrued points because the bigger issue for me is requalifying for 2021 to 2022. From all indications, I do not see myself until late 2020 at best, which means I would have "lost" July-September 2020.

Membership holiday would have been great but I don't think they are flexible enough to allow us to exit the membership holiday when things improve. 
toplayer likes this.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; May 6, 2020 at 12:35 am
Old May 5, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Why do those who spend less get incentives but those who spend more do not?
I thought they dished out relief points to all and auto renewed all? Or did you want the 7-in-1 toiletry bag they sell in inflight duty free?

Last I asked, they sent an A35K, but I rejected it as the parking lot wasn’t big enough.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
ex-PVG and ex-BKK fares, I highly doubt you're the "top 5%"
LondonElite, Nicc HK and chan_hkg like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
When CX conducted their last major cull (programme revamp) it lost/cost them a lot of loyal, but not so high spending DMs and Golds. People whose business they could have desperately used once COVID-19 is behind us. These guys may spend less, but they fly more, this stable income is valuable, and once disappears rarely returns.

Perhaps CX learnt their lesson? Well almost:

Those caught in the January to April renewal trap, definitely have more to complain about.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Unfortunately, OP does not get my vote on sympathy. The way how OP earns his status is unwise (Note - I could use some stronger words. But it would be a borderline case against FT rule).

Not just CX, but pretty much every airline, once you reach the top tier, the value of additional flight diminishes quite quickly. Specifically, once you reach/re-qualify DM, the extra CP in the account will only earn you upgrades if OP does not decide to renew right at the point.

OP has benefited from the point relief. So OP should have known that it may not be a good idea to accumulate with CX when OP's account is getting free CP. Yet, OP decides to continue and blame CX for further relief.

First world problem or not - I have serious doubts that if OP is really a smart traveler at all. If I was in OP's shoe, I would either have posted the extra flights to BA in hope for a lifetime status, or simply accept the upgrade without saying this.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:57 am

Let's start with this - what is your desired outcome? What do you want CX to do?

(Honest questions).
Old May 6, 2020, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Alright, I'll stop being a jerk.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: Meh
Alright, I'll stop being a jerk.
Good idea pal. We are hurtling towards a potential world war so you might want to look at the bigger picture.
cmiller11101 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.