Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:39 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by blum81
Does anyone know if there are any restrictions going into Canada if you've spent a night in HK?
Is it safe to enter HK for a night?
No restrictions on travel between Canada and HK at present.
blum81 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:43 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by percysmith
No restrictions on travel between Canada and HK at present.
Thanks Percysmith.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:59 pm

I've just been passed a screenshot of a message from MH (ticketed with Asia Miles as part of a oneworld award):

"We regret to inform that due to unforeseen circumstances, your booked flight on MHXXX / Apr YY, 2020 has been cancelled and no alternative travel arrangements are being provided.

FLIGHT CANCELLATION INFORMATION"

Pretty ballsy by MH, because MH's CoC 10.2.2.2 mirrors CX's in terms of MH being obligated to reroute https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/con...ge.pdf#page=10 (pax wants reroute).
I guess Refund Law must also exist in Malay (Refund Loh?)

I don't believe the guy will take CX to Small Claims Tribunal any time soon, so we've actually got to work thru it thru the Tsuen Wan Canned Spam Factory (I mean this one: )

His MHXXX/Apr YY flight still actually exists in the GDS.
I think he's holding onto three bookings; one is rebooked.

I've recommended he have TWCSF reach out to MH OW Liaison on the other two. Not that I think it'll work given the quality of staffing at the TWCSF but he hasn't given me more information for me to try other alternatives.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Egh - we are currently in Vietnam (heading to Siem Reap) and got the notification that our HKG > JFK flight on 3/9 was cancelled... it appears all HKG > JFK flights are cancelled on the 3/9.

It leaves us with over 24 hours in HKG which does not seem like the best idea at this time so will have to cut our trip short.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Egh - we are currently in Vietnam (heading to Siem Reap) and got the notification that our HKG > JFK flight on 3/9 was cancelled... it appears all HKG > JFK flights are cancelled on the 3/9.

It leaves us with over 24 hours in HKG which does not seem like the best idea at this time so will have to cut our trip short.
That sucks man. Sorry to hear.

Are there any costs to changing your flight?

I'll be stuck in HK for 20 hours but decided I'll just get a hotel and spend the night (though asking CX if they're going to do anything about my hotel expenses).

Managed to find a friend in HK i haven't seen in quite a long time so I'll make the best of it and hit up a bar with him in central

Edit: Cathay got back to me.
"I'm afraid that the cancellation of flight is due to the outbreak of coronavirus which is beyond airline's control, regret that we would not cover any extra expenses for that"

Not surprised. My second experience on Cathay leaving me stranded. First was the Manila plane crash.

I'll have to go the credit card route...

Last edited by blum81; Mar 4, 2020 at 12:50 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:26 am

Edit: Cathay got back to me.
"I'm afraid that the cancellation of flight is due to the outbreak of coronavirus which is beyond airline's control, regret that we would not cover any extra expenses for that"
I see their response

Cancelling IS within their control. I'm looking forward to someone causing an incident in an airport or getting a case in before a tribunal officer.

I'll have to go the credit card route...
I'm not sure whether chargeback works though
Unless you're trying to charge back the whole fare after travel? Yeah, try that.

I'd love that. Write to Amex/bank: ""I'm afraid that I was delayed overnight due to the outbreak of coronavirus which is beyond my control, regret I will have my fare back because of that."

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 4, 2020 at 5:54 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:50 am

Cancelling IS within their control. I'm looking forward to someone causing an incident in an airport or getting a case in before a tribunal officer.

I'm not sure whether chargeback works though
Unless you're trying to charge back the whole fare after travel? Yeah, try that.

I'd love that. Write to Amex/bank: ""I'm afraid that I was delayed overnight due to the outbreak of coronavirus which is beyond my control, regret I will have my fare back because of that."
No more referring to my travel insurance for trip interruption and the night in HK. But I just looked at hotels in Central and they're dirt cheap. Not worth my time to fight with RBC Avion Visa over this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:41 am

No more referring to my travel insurance for trip interruption and the night in HK. But I just looked at hotels in Central and they're dirt cheap. Not worth my time to fight with RBC Avion Visa over this.
Copout...

If they’re gonna justify murder with coronavirus, I won’t give them the goddamn common courtesy of a reach-around either.

P.S. I wrote Vinci back. She was one of the better CX social media contacts, she's just detonated a bomb under her credibility:

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 4, 2020 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:11 am

Copout...

If they’re gonna justify murder with coronavirus, I won’t give them the goddamn common courtesy of a reach-around either.

P.S. I wrote Vinci back. She was one of the better CX social media contacts, she's just detonated a bomb under her credibility:

https://twitter.com/percysmithhk/sta...87502836674560
lol you found my twitter post
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:56 am

lol you found my twitter post
I thought KARFA (my apologies! 有眼不識泰山) was here to troll but he actually made me rethink what you have under APPR. And it seems like you do have a lot!

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 4, 2020 at 7:02 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought @alexisk79 was here to troll
absolutely not. that is certainly not what I do on FT and not what I do on twitter either.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:59 am

I thought @alexisk79 was here to troll but he actually made me rethink what you have under APPR. And it seems like you do have a lot!

https://twitter.com/percysmithhk/status/1235198930293370885

https://twitter.com/percysmithhk/status/1235201012798914561
Thanks for your help on this Percysmith on twitter. I still wonder if it applies to me though as I'm no longer a Canadian Resident, but still a Canadian Citizen living in Kuala Lumpur.

I'll have to read up on it. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction and defending against the possible troll lol.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
absolutely not. that is certainly not what I do on FT and not what I do on twitter either.
And Karfa thank you for your input as well. I'm unaware of the laws so I thought I was just out of luck. I'll be honest I wasn't sure if you were attacking or helping lol.

Hope this will help others in the same situation as me, which I'm sure there are plenty.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:04 am

And Karfa thank you for your input as well. I'm unaware of the laws so I thought I was just out of luck. I'll be honest I wasn't sure if you were attacking or helping lol.
I thought KARFA (my apologies! 有眼不識泰山) was here to troll
I still wonder if it applies to me though as I'm no longer a Canadian Resident, but still a Canadian Citizen living in Kuala Lumpur.
I don't think it's a condition precedent to be a Canadian resident for APPR to apply.
I may be reading across from EC261 but I haven't come across any suggestion to the contrary.

I also don't know how long is CX allowed to cancel your flight without attracting APPR cancellation penalties.
In EC261 it's 14 days.
Had EC261 applied in your case, you're still entitled to compensation (but you cannot apply EC261 to a non-EU carrier flight flying into EU)
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Based on the crap CX is now pulling, I've just decided to book my next ticket on another carrier, likely JL, which has adopted an extremely generous waiver policy. The JL ticket is also about $350 US cheaper.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.