Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tvmatt
DM @CathayPacific on Twitter. They’re also slammed/slow to respond, but have been helpful with some other recent rebooking requests I’ve had.
Good call, thanks. I'll give them a try
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:23 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
Does anyone have a CX support email, or chat site? Got auto-rebooked and I need to ask for an adjustment to make the flights work for me. No option to hold currently on the US line, and the MPC line is an endless hold with no one picking up.
Facebook Message the Asia Miles page.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:26 pm

Just a reminder to folks with travel insurance like me, I would start making sure you are retaining documentation for your claim (e.g., the CX advisories on their website relevant to to your situation). In case you end up making a claim for either interruption and/or cancellation.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I have a feeling CX is only cancelling the MLE service 27FEB-28MAR. Flights before 27FEB are still bookable, so your MLEHKG flight may still be there.
I cannot book after Feb 22nd - looks to me as if they suspended MLE from Feb 23rd
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Just a reminder to folks with travel insurance like me, I would start making sure you are retaining documentation for your claim (e.g., the CX advisories on their website relevant to to your situation). In case you end up making a claim for either interruption and/or cancellation.

Travel insurance seems to cover things like weather preventing you from reaching your destination, medical issues with you or some close member of your family, terrorism.

Not seeing anything specifically about viral outbreaks.

And Cancel for Any Reason policies appear to be rare at some of these online travel insurance portals.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Travel insurance seems to cover things like weather preventing you from reaching your destination, medical issues with you or some close member of your family, terrorism.

Not seeing anything specifically about viral outbreaks.

And Cancel for Any Reason policies appear to be rare at some of these online travel insurance portals.
Yeah I specifically have a cancel for any reason rider on this trip. I don't normally purchase it though.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:11 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...lled-more-half

Here's a good summary of the cuts to CX.

Particularly striking is the TPE cuts, down from 93 weekly flights to just 4, less than one a day.
wrp96 and 36902BRF like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's also striking that CX itself, as opposed to Dragon, no longer serves mainland China. Also, Dragon only goes to four mainland airports.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's also striking that CX itself, as opposed to Dragon, no longer serves mainland China. Also, Dragon only goes to four mainland airports.
Yeah that's interesting. I wonder if it has to do with which crew they make do the mainland routes since that might prevent them from doing other routes.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Yeah I specifically have a cancel for any reason rider on this trip. I don't normally purchase it though.

Which carrier and how much did it cost?

The online portals I've seen do not seem to offer it.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...lled-more-half

Here's a good summary of the cuts to CX.

Particularly striking is the TPE cuts, down from 93 weekly flights to just 4, less than one a day.
Am I going blind, or is HKG not listed? I'm on SGN-HKG-ORD CX on Mar18. AA thinks all is well; I'm still waiting (AA DM) for the CX PNR so I can check there.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Am I going blind, or is HKG not listed? I'm on SGN-HKG-ORD CX on Mar18. AA thinks all is well; I'm still waiting (AA DM) for the CX PNR so I can check there.
CX isn't cutting flights from HKG to HKG .
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
HKG is not listed because all are from HKG since it’s CX. As you can see some of the HKG-SGN are cancelled and therefore their corresponding flight numbers for the flight back to HKG will also be cancelled.
SpammersAreScum likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Which carrier and how much did it cost?

The online portals I've seen do not seem to offer it.
It is through https://www.travelinsured.com/. The way I found them is I am a USAA member and USAA uses them to issue travel insurance. So if you are a USAA member go through the USAA site first to get a discount. The any cancellation options aren't especially cheap but still not crazy. I only insured about $2000 for trip cost and they will only cover 75% so I think my coverage is $1500 effectively. But that should cover most of what is non-refundable. I had a claim last year when my trip was delayed on CX because of weather in Hong Kong and they paid me $250 for various costs without issue.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:21 pm
Suspended

It is through https://www.travelinsured.com/. The way I found them is I am a USAA member and USAA uses them to issue travel insurance. So if you are a USAA member go through the USAA site first to get a discount. The any cancellation options aren't especially cheap but still not crazy. I only insured about $2000 for trip cost and they will only cover 75% so I think my coverage is $1500 effectively. But that should cover most of what is non-refundable. I had a claim last year when my trip was delayed on CX because of weather in Hong Kong and they paid me $250 for various costs without issue.
Thanks.

I also checked on squaremouth.com and found that if you want CFAR policies, you have to buy the insurance pretty much when you make your first "deposit" on a trip. For instance, I checked on a trip where the first purchase I made for the trip, the airfare, was back in Sept and for that, it won't offer me CFAR policies. But if I change the dates to Feb, then it will show policies with CFAR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.