Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Successfully Using CX Upgrade Certificates- any tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I have two of these certs from being involuntarily downgraded twice in the past 12 months. I am CX Diamond and have unsuccessfully tried to use them 4-5 times, mostly from J to F, but also PE to J with no luck as upgrade cabin is full. My problem is that you have to wait until you are at the airport to check, then at the lounge an hour before take off etc... understandable but kind of frustrating. Anyway, I am flying PE tomorrow to LHR and can see online there is a full redemption seat in J available for 65k miles. Unfortunately my PE seat is not an upgradeable fare class so cannot redeem an upgrade using miles or bookable upgrade.

I called up MPO to enquire if I could in some way pre-book or flag that I might be able to use my certificate for the redemption seat showing as available, but they can't help. It can only be done at the airport, no way to flag or hold in advance.

I'll try and get to the airport early, but is it worth going to the In Town Airport Express check-in today to ask, or can these certificates get 'registered' a few hours before at the airport?

Anyone have any tips on successfully using them? Many thanks in advance :-)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
I was never able to use them either, though was always trying for J to F long haul.
I think best advice for actually using them is to try to do so on short haul routes into J.
keepitfirstclass likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by keepitfirstclass
Unfortunately my PE seat is not an upgradeable fare class so cannot redeem an upgrade using miles or bookable upgrade.
Are you trying to use A card to upgrade?

If nothing has changed, the only criteria using an A card is actual seat availability (not inventory). And there is no fare class restriction (not sure about award fare class).

I'll try and get to the airport early, but is it worth going to the In Town Airport Express check-in today to ask, or can these certificates get 'registered' a few hours before at the airport?
Not worth it.

Basically, A card has the lowest priority. Only when a seat is available, then you can get the upgrade. So even you show up early, you are still placed at the bottom of the upgrade list.
keepitfirstclass likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if an 'A card' is the same as an "Upgrade Certificate"? It's a physical paper voucher given to people like me who had to take an involuntary downgrade. My first was for operational reasons. We were told there were no longer (PE) seats on the flight about a week before take off. Agreed to downgrade to Eco (rather than reschedule the flight) and received the voucher plus $100 USD in compensation. Incidentally, got on said flight and PE had magically re-appeared... but was full... so we remained in our new eco seats.

I feel like they might be a bit of a con TBH.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I wonder if an 'A card' is the same as an "Upgrade Certificate"?
What does it say? Does it include lounge access and extra baggage (not in lieu of your status).

Agreed to downgrade to Eco (rather than reschedule the flight) and received the voucher plus $100 USD in compensation.
Hopefully, you get a refund in addition to the above. Otherwise, it is the lamest offer I had ever heard.

FWIW - a VDB with minor delay (3 hours or less) was paid with the A card and USD$200.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

I don't imagine it offers any other benefits a part from a one class upgrade, only available in person at check in *if* a seat is available. Mileage accrual is on ticket purchased, so assume any lounge access/extra baggage is also not applicable. Not needed in my case anyway.

No refund- the original PE ticket cost more than the $100 compensation, but I thought the certificate might be easy to use so worthwhile on a long-haul flight. Not so sure now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.