Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

BKK to HKG to YYZ: one hour in HKG, is this enough time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Hello.

I have a connecting flight in Hong Kong (HGK) and I will have one hour between landing and my flight to Canada (YYZ). The first plane is Cathay Pacific and the second plane is Air Canada. Will I have enough time if there is only a one hour gap?

thank you

Last edited by greenmaplecat; Nov 17, 2019 at 2:25 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk!

Is this on one ticket or separate tickets?

HKG is very efficient so on one ticket ( so you have your AC boarding pass at BKK) all you have to do is clear transfer security at HKG and head to the AC gate.

1 hour should be sufficient.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Poster

I think it is one ticket. It was booked at the same time through air Canada’s website (I am not an experienced traveler so some jargon is unfamiliar to me)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: CX Gold
Since OP is flying with different airlines, will AC staff be waiting at the CX arriving gate to assist pax for the transfer?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If bought through AC then it is almost certainly 1 ticket so you would be protected if the BKK flight was late and you missed the YYZ flight so you would be rerouted to YYZ ( not sure of the routing options/airlines HKG-YYZ).
There may be staff at the gate ( not sure if it would be Air Canada staff or the locally contracted agents dealing with AC)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AC and CX are codeshare partners, so it should be on a single ticket given the OP description.
There are many daily CX flights BKK-HKG.
In case the OP flight from BKK is delayed, the check-in agent should be willing to put the OP on an earlier flight.
I suggest that the OP arrives early at BKK and asks to be moved to an earlier flight if his incoming aircraft is delayed.
A problem is that there are not many morning flights. If yours is CX750 at 11:40am, there is no CX flight in the previous 3 hours.
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

If bought through AC then it is almost certainly 1 ticket so you would be protected if the BKK flight was late and you missed the YYZ flight so you would be rerouted to YYZ ( not sure of the routing options/airlines HKG-YYZ).
There may be staff at the gate ( not sure if it would be Air Canada staff or the locally contracted agents dealing with AC)

Regards

TBS
AC has (If I remember correctly, HAS) contract agents at HKG but wearing AC uniform and are pretty familiar with AC rules.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Assuming no ATC delays, then Yes It is not an issue. Last month I flew YYZ to HKG then SIN with 1:05 hrs between flights with Cathay and made it no problem. note only had carry on and also I picked a transit area that was close to my gate that was very quiet (transit check near gate 63). Luggage should make it as HKIA is very fast and efficent.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by boybi
Since OP is flying with different airlines, will AC staff be waiting at the CX arriving gate to assist pax for the transfer?
In the event that you are running a tad late, if you have top-tier status a Concierge will assist you to the gate, otherwise local handling staff will be waiting with a placard, again, in the event of a tight connection.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by realgaga
AC has (If I remember correctly, HAS) contract agents at HKG but wearing AC uniform and are pretty familiar with AC rules.
Actually, JASL; and before, SATS Hong Kong.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
In the event that you are running a tad late, if you have top-tier status a Concierge will assist you to the gate, otherwise local handling staff will be waiting with a placard, again, in the event of a tight connection.
Do they let every pax on a tight connection use the crew lane in the security check even for those without airline status?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
AC and CX are codeshare partners, so it should be on a single ticket given the OP description.
Codeshare or not most decent airlines can issue tickets on other airlines on a common PNR, it's nothing unusual and does not require an AC/CX codeshare to even exist. Just needs an e-ticket interline agreement.

Moving promptly and assuming the arrival is on time (no doubt Thai airlines, so good luck there) the OP can connect in one hour but it was a terrible decision to buy a short connection when relying on making a connection to a 15 hour, once a day flight.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: QF,VA Plat
Originally Posted by boybi
Doubt AC has staff at HKG for this purpose. If staff were to meet the flight to assist with the connection , they would be more likely belong to a ground handling agent such as HAS (CX's ground handling subsidiary).
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Codeshare or not most decent airlines can issue tickets on other airlines on a common PNR, it's nothing unusual and does not require an AC/CX codeshare to even exist. Just needs an e-ticket interline agreement.

Moving promptly and assuming the arrival is on time (no doubt Thai airlines, so good luck there) the OP can connect in one hour but it was a terrible decision to buy a short connection when relying on making a connection to a 15 hour, once a day flight.
The OP indicated that the first flight was CX not TG.
You are right that a codeshare is not needed to issue a single ticket, But given that this is a CX flight with one hour connection, the very likely candidate is AC9764 (CX750) followed by AC16.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto

if CX delivers OP late, CX can put OP on CX's own flight to Toronto or via YVR. if flying economy, i wouldn't worry about short connection for a CX/AC combo ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.