Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

My cathay flight as been cancelled what do i do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black

So i was planning on flying back with my family through vancouver in april.

cathay has now decided to cancel the flight.

we are 2 parents and 4 children.

i have 6 tickets with westjest from ogg to yvr.

i have 2 cathay tockets that have been cancelled paid in cash in business for yvr to jfk on saturday night.

i have 4 tickets on that same flight that were bought vi avios after transfer from my credit card.

what shall i do and who do i call.

i d like to reroute directly from ogg rather than yvr in an ideal world as the purpose of flying through yvr was to experience the cathay business class.

thanks a lot for recommendations
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheHak
So I was planning on flying back with my family through vancouver in april.

cathay has now decided to cancel the flight.

we are 2 parents and 4 children.

I have 6 tickets with westjest from ogg to yvr.

I have 2 cathay tickets that have been cancelled paid in cash in business for yvr to jfk on saturday night.

I have 4 tickets on that same flight that were bought vi avios after transfer from my credit card.

What shall I do and who do I call.

I d like to reroute directly from OGG rather than YVR in an ideal world as the purpose of flying through YVR was to experience the cathay business class.

thanks a lot for recommendations
What is the full route/routes? Back from where? (not clear to me )
Great Circle Mapper

When you asked CX what did they say? (for CX purchased tickets)
For the tickets by BA avios talk to BA
Is Westjet flight in the same PNR/ticket as CX flights? Or separate tickets?

Edit:
This flight? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...4x-weekly.html
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 13, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Westjest is a different flight.

seeking to go from ogg to nyc on april 17th.

no hope in dealing with BA. They are the worst. I was hoping cathay would rebook eveyone. But i guess i will have to cancell the yvr to jfk.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am presuming that each passenger has two tickets: #1 OGG-YVR on WS and YVR-JFK on CX.

If this is correct, then you have two entirely separate journeys and WS is unlikely to change your tickets without a fee.

YVR-JFK (NYC) becomes CX & BA's problem to fix. CX as the ticketing carrier for the cash tickets and BA for the avios tickets.

If you have already decided that BA will not help (it likely will), why ask here at all?

Before calling, look at all of the alternatives to JFK, LGA, and EWR, so that you know what might be possible. If you arrive at something with CX, accept it on the spot, make sure it is ticketed and breathe a sigh of relief.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I am presuming that each passenger has two tickets: #1 OGG-YVR on WS and YVR-JFK on CX.

If this is correct, then you have two entirely separate journeys and WS is unlikely to change your tickets without a fee.

YVR-JFK (NYC) becomes CX & BA's problem to fix. CX as the ticketing carrier for the cash tickets and BA for the avios tickets.

If you have already decided that BA will not help (it likely will), why ask here at all?

Before calling, look at all of the alternatives to JFK, LGA, and EWR, so that you know what might be possible. If you arrive at something with CX, accept it on the spot, make sure it is ticketed and breathe a sigh of relief.
BA wont help. I was gold guest list then, had booked direct avios tickets with them to the maldives. Ba cancelled the ticket and despite many convenient options only offered super convoluted routes that would have me missed 2 nights of prepaid hotels. I almost entirely stopped flying BA since. This was with status, on ba metal. I just cant imagine what it will be on cx metal. After all this is not BAs fault.

i m not going to fly to YVR anymore and will forego ws tickets but will fly directly from Hawaii. I assume cathay is unlikely to reroute from hawaii right?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA wont help. I was gold guest list then, had booked direct avios tickets with them to the maldives. Ba cancelled the ticket and despite many convenient options only offered super convoluted routes that would have me missed 2 nights of prepaid hotels. I almost entirely stopped flying BA since. This was with status, on ba metal. I just cant imagine what it will be on cx metal. After all this is not BAs fault.

I'm not going to fly to YVR anymore and will forego ws tickets but will fly directly from Hawaii. I assume cathay is unlikely to reroute from hawaii right?
You have a CX ticket Vancouver to NYC. They will re-accommodate you on that route or refund. No hope of getting from Hawaii on Cathay's money.

Would still try BAEC for the avios flight solution

Look at the main CX YVR-JFK cancellation thread
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Thats what i assumed but business flights from hawaii are cheaper than the air canada direct flight to new york. My fear is they will try to keep me on oneworld. Which would be a very long and convoluted way.

if they can rebook me on air canada that will be fine but i doubt that.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
if they can rebook me on air canada that will be fine but i doubt that.
They could. But AC does not fly to JFK based on my Google search. You will have to choose LGA or EWR.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BA can call its liaison at AA to request that award space be opened for you.

IMO the harder part will be getting everyone rebooked onto the same flights between YVR and NYC. You might need to check the UM rules.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: most of them
I agree that since your CX flight is YVR-JFK that's all they are going to rebook. If you've decided you don't want to fly from YVR any more then they should give you a full refund no problem for the cash tickets.

I'd guess that BA doesn't really have a lot of options under the circumstances. It's not their fault CX canceled the route. I'd imagine they're looking for flights with award availability to rebook you.

As for whether CX would put you on AC I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask. I had to get rebooked because my flight to IAD was canceled and they are putting me on UL from CMB since they don't have any CX flights that particular day. But in that case it is still OW. There was an SQ option as well but I didn't bring it up. Overall I'm sure this whole situation is a nightmare for everyone.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Ewr is fine. Just called and i was told to F** off.

the funny thing is all rebooking options are far cheaper.

i paid 1500$ for the cx tickets and they propose to reroute me the flight with aa through dallas that costs 750 each$ with recline seats.

in other words refund is the only option.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I Overall I'm sure this whole situation is a nightmare for everyone.
Not fox cx. Im tired of airlines being able to cancel flights for economic reasons with 0 penalty.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Just called and i was told to F** off.
You do know that now is the bad time for BA, right?

Also - this isn't really a BA problem...
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

I called cx not BA. Im not blaming BA (funny how there are BA apologists on every board).

just saying i dont think BA will do much given its not their fault and their policy is already terrible when it is their fault.

Cx declined to rebook me on air canada but for the CX paid flights its easy given in fact the air canada flights are cheaper (so refund and rebook). I just guess ill bave to get a refund from ba too and out the kids in coach!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I called cx not BA. Im not blaming BA (funny how there are BA apologists on every board).

just saying i dont think BA will do much given its not their fault and their policy is already terrible when it is their fault.

Cx declined to rebook me on air canada but for the CX paid flights its easy given in fact the air canada flights are cheaper (so refund and rebook). I just guess ill bave to get a refund from ba too and out the kids in coach!
This doesn't seem like a bad outcome if the kids are old enough to ride in coach by themselves. You're getting a full refund and able to book much cheaper tickets.
glennaa11 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.