Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA PLT
CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly

From TPG: https://thepointsguy.com/news/cathay...s-next-spring/

Highlights:
- YVR-JFK flights ending next April
- HKG-YVR going down from 17x to 14x weekly
- HKG-JFK going up from 21x to 25x weekly

The article also suggests that YVR might lose F service altogether but seems to bungle the exact fleet types. I could see all YVR flights going to 77G/77K, certainly not the regional "high-density" 438-seater 773s that the article states. [EDIT: article has been updated to mention the 340-seater 77G/77K.]

Last edited by dkc192; Sep 9, 19 at 10:17 pm
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post

Highlights:

The article also suggests that YVR might lose F service altogether but seems to bungle the exact fleet types. I could see all YVR flights going to 77G/77K, certainly not the regional "high-density" 773s that the article states.
huh, that's a bit surprising, given that CX just added an extra flight... a year ago or so, didn't they? And finished building a new YVR lounge a couple years ago, too. Will be very sad to see this route go... one of, if not THE best transcon-products available.
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
This is really sad.
MSPeconomist and Santander like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
It appears that CX has quota on how many seats can be sold YVR-JFK. As a result, frequently they canít sell any more tickets even the flights are very empty. I believe this is the reason why this route may be losing money. Other than that this route is close to a monopoly and fares are usually quite high IMO.

I wonder whether CX would use this opportunity to open up some new routes from YVR? Like YVR-MIA or even YVR-GRU?
Reply1984 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:22 pm

very sad.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA 1.67MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post

Highlights:

The article also suggests that YVR might lose F service altogether but seems to bungle the exact fleet types. I could see all YVR flights going to 77G/77K, certainly not the regional "high-density" 773s that the article states.
My top frequent route, CX888 and CX865 will be gone? Thatís very disappointing.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:31 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Sad but inevitable.

CX flying YVR to JFK was more and more of an anachronism ever since CX acquired the 77W. The last flight will almost be exactly 12 years since B-KPA entered the CX fleet...I didn't expect that fifth freedom to survive nearly this long.

Especially with the loading restrictions due to govt rules, it was just a matter of time.

I will be less thrilled if YVR loses F class altogether.

Btw, this also means a 77A/H frame should free up. Or at least half a frame, if YVR maintains F. Or are there more scheduled to return to lessor??

Edited later: there must be changes coming to the JFK nonstops then, right? Because CX888/889 are integrated in with CX831/841 from JFK. No? Otherwise, to keep the same schedule CX will have to park either CX840 or CX846 overnight? Since there will be only one evening departure ex-JFK (CX845) instead of two (CX845/888)?
BearX220, irishguy28 and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Sep 9, 19 at 6:35 pm Reason: JFK nonstops affected too?
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
This is really sad as it is my second most frequent route behind JFK/EWR - HKG. It's popular among NYC folks who love to ski in winter season, even though the price on this route sometimes is out of the line. Will try to take one more time before it's over.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
They also added a new route via SEA and with a partner that can provide TCON flights not more than 100 miles south of YVR.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:47 pm

Very sad as I take this route 6-8 times a year as I live in NYC but am from Vancouver. Can confirm flights were often empty and knew it was only a matter of time.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:40 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Echo the sentiment - the flight is special and easily the best coast-to-coast flight.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
This is really sad as it is my second most frequent route behind JFK/EWR - HKG. It's popular among NYC folks who love to ski in winter season, even though the price on this route sometimes is out of the line. Will try to take one more time before it's over.
I end up on 865 often since it's much easier to grab a U upgrade award. Sorry to see this flight go, I wonder what the schedule will be for these new JFK-HKG flights.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX DM
Although CX 865 (formerly 889) departs at an ungodly 2 am (and is often delayed thanks to originating at snow-prone JFK), it does land in HKG at around 7 am and so is great for connections. I suspect CX will re-time one of the 2 remaining flights to this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:34 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Avis Avis Preferred, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
What a pity, I have found memories of CX888 and CX889 when I was based in NYC and had to go to Vancouver. The timing sucked, but it was one of the only direct flights from NYC to YVR. I believe the other is an Air Canada flight
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by OneWorldLoyalist View Post
What a pity, I have found memories of CX888 and CX889 when I was based in NYC and had to go to Vancouver. The timing sucked, but it was one of the only direct flights from NYC to YVR. I believe the other is an Air Canada flight
There's also an Air Phillipines 5th freedom flight

Search this Thread