Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific---Will its onerous path lead to bankruptcy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific---Will its onerous path lead to bankruptcy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sleeper.agent
Planes are full when I fly them.
Recently flew to NRT and back...the plane was half empty on both classes on both sectors.

MNL flight was also not full.

although my friend just came from CDG and his flight was full.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Aug 29, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sleeper.agent
Planes are full when I fly them.
Flight loads vary by route and the feedback I received from my colleague who flew SFO-HKG a few weeks ago was that the plane had close to a 30% load.

There's also a ton of stand-by non-rev pax so you'll always see the flights from KIX-HKG almost completely full.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456
your 2M people.

Retuers did an estimate of July 1 protest.
I don't see any relevance of this statement to this thread.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
People were hoping they could just rearrange their crew and routing to comply. But CX has been doing something beyond that.
I don't think this is possible, they were threatening to cut off CX from chinese airspace due to "safety" concerns. Most CX flights (except SE asia/ANZ) cross chinese airsapce...
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by triplefives
I don't see any relevance of this statement to this thread.
It has been suggested that losing 2 million local customers could be the final nail in CX's coffin.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I don't think Cathay will bankrupt, but they might (based on the will of Hong Kong people, and willingness to inconvenient their flight plans) boycott the airline to a point of losing so much money that management has no choice but to entertain the buyout from other major airlines such as Air China. All in all, for this to happen, it takes a good 2-3 years of financial beating for Swire to even entertain such possibility, so all talk now is pretty nil.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
Can CX survive a Syrian style civil war?
I missed the articles about the biological weapons. Can you post the link?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:26 am

Remember a number of great airlines have bankrupted or nearly did so in the past, but their metals are still in the sky.
An eventual bankruptcy of CX won't really be disastrous.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by triplefives
If Cathay goes bankrupt, it means economic conditions are so bad in Hong Kong/Greater China that other businesses will meet the same fate.

It will be interesting to see if Cathay will be able to continue to attract expat flight crews.
CX ability to continue to attract expat flight crew into senior flight deck positions has been diminishing over the last 5 years.
Yes, they can still bring in overseas recruits, but on much poorer contract terms.
CX is now accepting crew with very few hours / experience - whilst established / experienced crew are moving out of HK - most of them willingly loosing their seniority in the process.
CX's excellent safety record is being put at a higher risk, and God forbid, if anything happens, this will speed the demise of CX quicker than any demonstration.....
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by EMIC
CX ability to continue to attract expat flight crew into senior flight deck positions has been diminishing over the last 5 years.
Yes, they can still bring in overseas recruits, but on much poorer contract terms.
CX is now accepting crew with very few hours / experience - whilst established / experienced crew are moving out of HK - most of them willingly loosing their seniority in the process.
CX's excellent safety record is being put at a higher risk, and God forbid, if anything happens, this will speed the demise of CX quicker than any demonstration.....

When it happens....
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lain
Remember a number of great airlines have bankrupted or nearly did so in the past, but their metals are still in the sky.
An eventual bankruptcy of CX won't really be disastrous.
If you are talking about the US3, then they are different stories, as the U.S. bankruptcy law explicitly allows entities to request debt reorganization before a full and complete bankruptcy.

AFAICT - Hong Kong bankruptcy law provides no such alternative.

So if I am right, if CX files bankruptcy, it will be over for CX.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
If you are talking about the US3, then they are different stories, as the U.S. bankruptcy law explicitly allows entities to request debt reorganization before a full and complete bankruptcy.

AFAICT - Hong Kong bankruptcy law provides no such alternative.

So if I am right, if CX files bankruptcy, it will be over for CX.
outside US, i recall cases of JAL or swissair too among others.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:52 pm

CX will be fine in the long term. At the end of day HK is part of China and it will be a loss of face for the state if it ends up poorly.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Cathay won't be over if it's bankrupt. Remember, we are living in the age of "Too Big to Fail". If Hong Kong (and China) stand by and watch Cathay disband, it will bring chaos. What likely will happen is Cathay will be "bail-out", but in China it's "take-over", likely by Air China or equivalent. So if you mean bankruptcy that leads to new management, than yes. If you mean bankruptcy that leads to the demise and disappearance of Cathay? No.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:18 pm

CX is not going to go bankrupt over this. Given that Air China and Qatar Airways are investors. They could go bankrupt if they were banned from flying Chinese airspace, but I do not see that happening while Air China is a major investor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.