Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Credit card used for booking had to be cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:38 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Sorry to bob into your midst, but I have a query and I'm sure one of you will know the answer. We are flying to AKL with CX in February 2020. The Amex card used to pay for the card had been compromised. Fortunately this has been caught by Amex Fraud and the card has been stopped. It is made very clear from the booking confirmation that the card must be shown in order for us at check-in or at some point before. As this card will no longer work and will indeed have been replaced, I am unsure what is the best thing to do in this instance. Keep the old card and show it ASAP - I can do that at LGW this week - or show them the new one when it arrives even though this is not the card number in the booking.

Can anyone tell me what best to do in this instance as I am sure that it has happened to many others.

Many Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:35 pm

Hang on to the old card for presentation at checkin? It's not like they would push through an authorization charge on the old card.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
It is made very clear from the booking confirmation that the card must be shown in order for us at check-in or at some point before.
That's theoretical.

In the reality, the rule is really simple - As soon as the cardholder is within the traveling party, no one will bother to check the credit card as soon as the transaction has gone through. However, if the cardholder is not within the traveling party, additional steps will be required if the cardholder will not be at the airport during check-in.

I rarely see CX checks credit cards.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:50 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by garykung
That's theoretical.

In the reality, the rule is really simple - As soon as the cardholder is within the traveling party, no one will bother to check the credit card as soon as the transaction has gone through. However, if the cardholder is not within the traveling party, additional steps will be required if the cardholder will not be at the airport during check-in.

That is most reassuring - thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That is most reassuring - thank you.
I would suggest contacting Amex, explaining the CX situation, and seeing if Amex can send you a letter confirming that the old card number has been cancelled as of (date) because it was compromised, and a new card number has been issued in its place. It would at least give you something to show CX in the event that you were challenged.

If you have -- or can print a copy of -- your prior Amex statement showing the CX charge, that might also be a good idea.

All of this might be unnecessary, but since it would not take too much effort, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
somemale likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
I'm flying to MEL on CX in Jan 2020, and the confirmation email included the "you must present your credit card used for the booking at check-in" message. As the trip is so far away, I'm worried if something happens to my card between now and then that I'll be stuck. I don't have any flights planned from LHR T3 until then, but I might swing by T3 on my next visit home (via T2) to ask them to verify my card.

Sorry to hear about the attempted fraud Pucci.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Do you have status with CX? IIRC CX doesn’t do the credit card check for DMs.

While things may well have changed, I’d recommend that the OP contact CX beforehand- if nothing else to document the agreed solution (old card/letter from Amex) via a note in the booking. Admittedly not of late, but both the CX & SQ forums have had a fair share of posts from infrequent to CX/SQ travellers getting hassled for the credit card check.

An agent @ LGW should be able to sort this as well- I have done something similar at SIN for a booking that I had made for someone else- but I don’t have a clue about LGW CX hours/own personnel/ground agent ability etc.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
In the olden days, if you couldn’t present the card, they would credit the old card for the fare and charge another card for the fare.

These days, if you went through a 2 factor check during purchase, where you have to enter a code during the purchase (Amex safekey) they will not ask you to present the credit card again.

You can call CX and they should be able to look into your booking to let you know if they need to sight the card again.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
That's theoretical.

Just today I had to show the card to CX when checking in. I was the cardholder and the traveling party. But they don't run it, so makes no difference if it is cancelled or not. Just a visual inspection.
percysmith, wyskevin and thomas164 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: asia miles
I had the same situation as you with my American Express card a few months ago. I called CX. They told me no card check is needed, as I booked the ticket for myself but just to keep the card in case the agent would want to see it
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Never been asked to present the credit card used. I’ve even booked CX tickets for my son and not traveling with him. No credit card checks.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:07 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I often buy flights for my wife to go back to Hong Kong, she's never been asked to show the original credit card. Actually come to think about it i've never been asked at all to present the credit card used for purchase
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by rtool
Hang on to the old card for presentation at checkin? It's not like they would push through an authorization charge on the old card.
This is in line with what CX told me before. They just need to see the card, and that's it.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:09 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by blum81
I often buy flights for my wife to go back to Hong Kong, she's never been asked to show the original credit card. Actually come to think about it i've never been asked at all to present the credit card used for purchase
Ever since the card companies introduced two factor (Mastercard Secure code, Verified by Visa, Amex Safekey) you haven't had to show your card physically. If your purchase didn't go through one of these verfications, then you probably do have to show the card.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP still has the card even thought it's been cancelled, carry it on the trip, even if it's a matter of just in case....

Typically the replacement AmEx card has a number that just differs from the old one in the last few (I'm being deliberately vague here) digits, so if someone wants to run an authorization on the cancelled card, you can point this out and offer the new card for that step. However, this is unlikely as the usual process is just literally to show someone the credit card. I wouldn't be comfortable that any documentation (procured in advance at the cost of your time and effort) is sufficiently sure to satisfy some random airline or airport employee, not would I feel reassured that doing the card/document check in advance would be binding on the day of travel.

TLDR: Carry the old card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.