Search

CX250 or 256?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
CX250 or 256?

Hello

I'm heading down under for the Australian Open tennis in Jan 2020. Previously, I've made the trip in SQ J, but looking to go CX this time, partly a desire to try a different airline, partly because the BA FT forum goes on about how amazing the CX lounge at T3 LHR is. I've also had a few friends rave at me about the HK CX lounges too so look forward to checking those out (I really dislike the SQ J lounge at Changi).

So looking at my options if I want to leave London in the evening then connect to CX 135 onto Melbourne, my most likely options are CX 250 at 1755 or CX256 at 2020. CX254 doesn't give me much connection time at HKG so I'm ruling that one out. Admittedly, while my destination is Melbourne and not the CX lounges at HKG, I would still like some time to explore them a bit (once I've had a shower), and 250 obviously gives me more time (5 hrs 10 vs 2hr 55 on 256), but is there anything else that I should consider - maybe 2hrs 55 is enough, or what if I'm delayed on 256 and end up dashing to make 135. I'm assuming both flights have the exact same service so there's nothing to think about there (or is there?). For my planned dates, there is no price difference right now so that's irrelevant. Obviously, I'll have more time at the LHR lounge on 256 so that's a factor in 256's favour, plus as 256 is a later departure I might have a better chance at sleeping.

Any guidance would be useful. I'm currently leaning slightly in favour of 250 as I would worry about a delay on 256 reducing my HK lounge time, but open to guidance.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

2 hr 55 is plenty of time to connect at HKG but if you want the full HKG lounge experience ( including lounge hopping) then I would go for the CX 250 . Sleeping quality might be slighty poorer on the 250 ( I assume the HKG-MEL is also overnight) but you might get more sleep on the HKG-MEL leg.

Also , What BA status do you have as if you have BA gold (OWE) you can access the Pier First and Wing first lounges also

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you TBS. I recognise you from the BA forum, where I'm more usually found lurking

Alas, I'm a lowly bronze so I'll be only able to use the business lounges (or the combined ones).

Admittedly, my holiday won't be ruined if I don't get to lounge hop, and so long as I get a decent coffee, a shower and a glass of champagne (or G&T) as a minimum I'll be happy. I suppose my only concern with 256 would be a heavy delay out of LHR (possible in January) and I find myself being rushed from gate to gate in HKIG.

Related to my point above, I'd love to know the best CX HK lounges for coffee, or the one with the nicest showers (or the shortest queues).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...t-lounges.html

Gives some information on the lounges. ( As a OWe I usually use the Pier F) but;

The Bridge ( by gate 35) has a coffee loft but can be busy
The Pier business is very good ( has a tea house)
The Deck is close to the QF/BA lounge and had nice iced tea
The wing business ( I do not think I have been to this one)

Not sure on which lounge will have the shortest shower queues.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Another way to look at it is that on your return you’ll be able to go to the HK lounges you don’t have time to get to but you only get 1 shot at the CX LHR lounge.

No tarmac views (dark) if you get the later departure ex LHR - mind you you might not either with the earlier departure. Also check that all hot food amenities are available (should be) for the earlier departure considering it leaves before 6pm.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by jdsworld
Admittedly, my holiday won't be ruined if I don't get to lounge hop, and so long as I get a decent coffee, a shower and a glass of champagne (or G&T) as a minimum I'll be happy. I suppose my only concern with 256 would be a heavy delay out of LHR (possible in January) and I find myself being rushed from gate to gate in HKIG.

Related to my point above, I'd love to know the best CX HK lounges for coffee, or the one with the nicest showers (or the shortest queues).
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
The Bridge ( by gate 35) has a coffee loft but can be busy
The Pier business is very good ( has a tea house)
The Deck is close to the QF/BA lounge and had nice iced tea
The wing business ( I do not think I have been to this one)

Not sure on which lounge will have the shortest shower queues.
I'd go for CX250 so you don't have to worry about being delayed and not having time to spend an hour or two at the CX lounge.

As The Banking Scot has mentioned, the Pier J has a lovely tea house and great coffee (look for the coffee stand right at the entrance).

The Deck and the Bridge have decent coffee too.

I'd skip the Wing if I were you, unless you are tight for time and land near gates 1-5.
If you have time, go to Pier J - the extra minutes of walking will help after a long flight and the showers are usually readily available (I don't think I have ever queued for a shower at Pier J). Plus the bartender at Pier J is friendly and can make you a nice G&T.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
CX250 has an F cabin, which means it also has a very pleasant J mini cabin at the front (row 11 and 12 - https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...g-777/300.html switch the dropdown to 77H or 77A). I'd definitely get CX250 if you can get a seat in there,

CX256 will be 77G or 77K - it has a smaller J cabin as well, but it's next to PE and not as quiet/pleasant in my experience.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I've gone for CX250.

As JClasstraveller said above, I won't get any tarmac views from the lounge with 256, whereas if I can get to LHR by 2:30pm for 250 I'll at least have 90 minutes of daylight. Also, I don't want a repeat of my last trip on SQ to Mel when I took the ARN-DME-SIN route, and due to bad delays in Moscow found myself with just enough time for a shower once we arrived in SIN.

Just out of interest, before I posted this new thread I did a search and found a thread from last year where a poster mentioned that "256 should be avoided" but didn't say why, and none of the replies shed any light on why the OP would have said this.

Last edited by jdsworld; Jun 28, 2019 at 2:56 am Reason: Clarifying wording
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
CX250 has an F cabin, which means it also has a very pleasant J mini cabin at the front (row 11 and 12 - https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...g-777/300.html switch the dropdown to 77H or 77A). I'd definitely get CX250 if you can get a seat in there,

CX256 will be 77G or 77K - it has a smaller J cabin as well, but it's next to PE and not as quiet/pleasant in my experience.
Yes, on both LHR-HKG and HKG-LHR I can get a seat in row 11, though they are marked priority. I can select them but I get a warning that on checkin I could be moved. Is it a risk worth taking? I'd hate to end up with a rubbish seat.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:51 am

Shouldn't be an issue. I think CX250 is the best timed HK flight from Europe. Watch / eat for 4-5 hours, sleep 6 hours and then eat. Day not that long until bed (or in your case, next flight).

Row 11 should be fine event with the warning.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Sadly, my question turned out to be in vain. Due to the current conditions in Melbourne, I made the decision not to travel.

Next year, hopefully.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond
In case you are interested.

If you are travelling in economy, CX250 on Wednesday is either operated by 77H or 77A. 77H has the old economy seats whereas 77A featured the 3-4-3 configuration. Of course, if the flight is 77H it is unlikely to have wifi. Every two weeks on Wed, CX250 is operated by 77H. It will change eventually, but worth to check if you want to have more comfort.

CX256 is definitely 77K, economy seats 3-4-3.

CX250 is operated by London-based cabin crews. CX256 is HK based. If you would like to have some sort of service choose 256.

Just to let you know on 28/1/2020, there are only three flights to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.