Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 Hour Layover in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by eagle215
Would there be traffic issues with the current Protests going on?
As mentioned that was one day, a Sunday.

There will be the usual July 1st march on... er... July 1st. But if the OP isn't going to Causeway Bay, Wanchai, Admiralty, they won't notice much. Perhaps avoid those areas.

During the Umbrella Movement back in 2014, traffic was disrupted but people still got around. (Certain times the traffic was actually better!)
tentseller likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hexacode
Hi Guys -

I will be traveling from India to US with an 8-hour layover in HKG. I'm flying Cathay Pacific for the first time and that too economy class so pretty nervous about it. I would appreciate and welcome any suggestions on how to spend the 8 hr layover. Although I would like to enjoy lounge access, I do not have any Cathay Pacific membership. All I have are the United MIleage Explorer Lounge Pass with which I believe cannot be used for this trip since I'm flying Cathay.

Thank you!
“I have a long layover, what can I do” is an incredibly common question in the HK forum, maybe search there?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
GO never has that entitlement. DM had in the past, but as as you said, not anymore. However, OP is traveling on CX flights.
1. I somehow misread that OP would be travelling on UA. Sorry for the mistake.
2. GO had the entitlement before the 2016 change. DM had the benefit of CX/KA J lounge access (with 2 guests) even when not travelling on oneworld, which was taken away in 2016, but the guest privilege for GO and DM was applicable to guests on non-oneworld flights. In fact, in 2010, when my mother was GO and was travelling on CX flight ex-LAX and was denied taking my aunt, who was on CI, we wrote to CX to seek clarification, and CX wrote:

我們欲向 閣下澄清,馬可孛羅會金咭會員是可以攜同一名乘搭非國泰或港龍航機的同行旅客使用當地寰宇一家之貴賓室的。 惟本人經向當地職員查詢,獲悉當日職員拒絕 閣下的同行友人進入貴賓室,是由於當日的貴賓室經巳滿額,故未能讓會員攜同其他客人使用貴賓室 ,誠希 閣下諒解。

對於當日職員未能向 閣下清楚解釋原因而引起了 閣下誤會,我們深表抱歉。本人巳將事件向當地機場經理轉達,請他對有關員工作出適當的訓導,以改善服務質素 。對於 閣下當日所遇到的任何不便,我們謹此衷心致歉。

Rough abridged translation: GO can take a guest not travelling CX/KA to the LAX OW lounge, but my aunt was denied due to capacity limit, and CX apologised that the staff didn't cite the correct reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.