Search

MNL to HKG on 9/6/19 CX902

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Silver
MNL to HKG on 9/6/19 CX902

Hi Folks,
Arrived this morning in HKG from MNL on CX902.
1. Flight equipment swapped from A359 to A330-300. Means a downgrade to Y from PEY...not happy. Lost valuable club points
2. Got hit with MAJOR delays and disappointment after our flight got diverted to Clark MNL for several hours due to weather.
Flights original take off time: 8:20pm.. actual departure was 3:30am and arrival around 5 20a
Understand the situation was out of CX's control...
I assume we are not protected when hit with 7+ hour delays like this?
Is there anything we can do in regards to compensation or are we being too entitled and demanding here?
Had to take a taxi home as the airport express was not running in the am and had to take off work the next day due to illness from being awake all night..

Last edited by pol212; Jun 10, 2019 at 5:05 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by pol212
Hi Folks,
1. Flight equipment swapped from A359 to A330-300. Means a downgrade to Y from PEY...not happy. Lost valuable club points
2. Got hit with MAJOR delays and disappointment after our flight got diverted to Clark MNL for several hours due to weather.
Flights original take off time: 8:20pm.. actual departure was 3:30am and arrival around 5 20a
Understand the situation was out of CX's control...
I assume we are not protected when hit with 7+ hour delays like this?
Is there anything we can do in regards to compensation or are we being too entitled and demanding here?
Had to take a taxi home as the airport express was not running in the am and had to take off work the next day due to illness from being awake all night..
First of all, my sympathies. I take 903 frequently and rarely have any significant problems even through the wet season when storms will create delays. However on Sunday evening when the storm hit I happened to be in Manila and not having much better to do (!) thought I would check how the incoming air traffic was faring onFR24. By coincidence your flight was lining up for what subsequently became the second (or was it third! ) go around. This, let alone a CRK diversion, is very unusual and obviously highly inconvenient, however ultimately safety has to take priority and the crew was faced with some pretty nasty weather. By all means see if cx will oblige in covering expenses but these things do happen at this time of year and absent a substantial airport upgrade at MNL (I'm still waiting!), these things will happen...
pol212 likes this.

Last edited by Arbeysix; Jun 10, 2019 at 5:50 am Reason: Correct flight number to CX903
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Unfortunately - weather related delays are almost never compensated by airlines. If the delay was due to a mechanical issue totally under the control of the airline, then you would have a good reason to claim expenses. However, even if this case you would be limited to whatever HKG Civil Aviation Authority deems to be appropriate for travellers rights (if any) for that side of the world.

This is where travel insurance may pick up the tab for unexpected expenses, but the insurance will probably not cover lost income.
pol212 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by pol212
Hi Folks,
PS. The equipment swap should not mean you acrue less MPC points.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Arbeysix
PS. The equipment swap should not mean you acrue less MPC points.
This. Just email them if you don't get the right points, they will give you the right ones, They have every time for me.

I do HKG-MNL very regulary and have done for over 10 years. I've never been diverted to Clark but have had one overnight delay due to a typhoon. Small delays (an hour or two) are pretty much standard on that route due to air traffic control though.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Silver
Originally Posted by fairhsa
This. Just email them if you don't get the right points, they will give you the right ones, They have every time for me.

I do HKG-MNL very regulary and have done for over 10 years. I've never been diverted to Clark but have had one overnight delay due to a typhoon. Small delays (an hour or two) are pretty much standard on that route due to air traffic control though.
Yep took all of your advice and shot them an email. Seems like their customer service is backed up though. Received an auto reply "We are currently handling more customer communication than usual. As a result, response times may be longer than normal. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes and will respond to your feedback as soon as we can."
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Yes to entitled and demanding
Why ever do you believe that you are due compensation ?
Who from ? The TV weather man -Manila airport -God ?
Or is it that you believe that Cathay are a soft touch......they are not.
Delays happen.
pol212 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.