Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice about connecting in Guangzhou

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Advice about connecting in Guangzhou

Due to a last minute meeting, I am now in the position where I am going to fly into Guangzhou (CAN) on China Southern into Terminal 2 and then connect to a KA flight out of Terminal 1 about 1hr 50 mins later.

Expert Flyer has a 22 minute average delay on my incoming flight (from Manila) so I'm guessing 1.5 hours to make it. No luggage, APEC card. Both flights in biz. Totally separate tickets.

Any experience out there to give me some tips on making this connection? I have never been to CAN before but flew through Shenzhen this morning so I'm getting more familiar with Chinese airports!. (rebooking or retiming either flight not an option).
Stephen_L likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
May I ask if you're connecting to KA781 or KA789, two different story.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
good luck
you should be fine
the ka flight is often delayed- do you have an onward connection?
Old May 7, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by pochi
May I ask if you're connecting to KA781 or KA789, two different story.
The one at 10:20pm
Old May 7, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
good luck
you should be fine
the ka flight is often delayed- do you have an onward connection?
Yes, with one hour connect time in HK.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Yes, with one hour connect time in HK.
Is the KA flight on the same ticket as your next flight ex-HK?
Old May 7, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I think it is doable but it will be very tight. CZ have moved to the new terminal T2 while KA is still in T1. And those two terminals are somewhat far from each other (requires a shuttle bus or a one stop metro).

Maybe before departure let KA/CX make a note in your PNR saying you are coming in from MNL on CZ, OLCI and print the boarding pass (as of last time I travelled there CAN doesn't support mobile boarding pass). After you disembark make you APEC card visible to the immigration officials and you should be cleared through the diplomat lane in no time. If you have some spare change in CNY (or WeChat wallet) I recommend you take the Metro one station from Airport north to Airport south.
fairhsa likes this.

Last edited by shd9; May 7, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old May 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Is the KA flight on the same ticket as your next flight ex-HK?
Yes. I just checked in for both.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
I think it is doable but it will be very tight. CZ have moved to the new terminal T2 while KA is still in T1. And those two terminals are somewhat far from each other (requires a shuttle bus or a one stop metro).

Maybe before departure let KA/CX make a note in your PNR saying you are coming in from MNL on CZ, OLCI and print the boarding pass (as of last time I travelled there CAN doesn't support mobile boarding pass). After you disembark make you APEC card visible to the immigration officials and you should be cleared through the diplomat lane in no time. If you have some spare change in CNY (or WeChat wallet) I recommend you take the Metro one station from Airport north to Airport south.
Thanks. I have checked in for the flight and am trying to figure out how to print the boarding pass now (am in Manila, in a hotel, should be fine). I do have RMB with me so buying a metro ticket is no problem (except I thought it might take longer than getting on a bus, but if you think its faster I will do it). I don't read Chinese (I speak a couple of words only) so any kind of interaction is usually problematic!
Old May 7, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Very tight. OP probably needs to obtain CX BP at least 40 min or even more before departure.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Thanks. I have checked in for the flight and am trying to figure out how to print the boarding pass now (am in Manila, in a hotel, should be fine). I do have RMB with me so buying a metro ticket is no problem (except I thought it might take longer than getting on a bus, but if you think its faster I will do it). I don't read Chinese (I speak a couple of words only) so any kind of interaction is usually problematic!
I honestly had no idea which is faster. Last time I did the metro transit in ~20mins. I recall that the walk from both terminals to the metro stations to be quite short (maybe not as short as HKG but comparable to SZX where you go do a couple escalators) and well-signed. I have never taken the bus, but a quick search online tells me that the bus runs from the departures level, T2, Door 42 to T1. It looks like the bus is run every 10 mins so probably the total transit time is similar.

Apparently both the bus and the metro are free! Somehow I missed that last time and probably just used WeChat to swipe through.
fairhsa likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Remember to print your boarding pass prior. CAN does not allow mobile boarding pass. Ground staff will also take a picture of your printed boarding pass in front of the Gate.
(please don't go to check-in counter as it is far away from metro)

For my experience, IF you passed immigration and it near to any 10 min. (10,20,30,40,50,00), try shuttle bus.
You have to proceed another security check before going into the metro station. After arriving airport south station (T1), you will also need to wait other passengers for explosion test (might wait up-to 3 mins)

Please noted that even you got your APEC card, you cannot finish immigration check quick due to tones of APEC card holder departing at that period (still better than Econ), sometimes Biz/F immigration check counter will be faster than APEC.

Wear something that's good for run, KA789 sometimes uses the most inner part of T1, which required time to pass thr some well-packed African-destination flight. If it's Gate 104-107, you might need around 3-5 mins to reach the gate.

Good luck
Non Compos Mentis and fairhsa like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by shd9
Apparently both the bus and the metro are free! Somehow I missed that last time and probably just used WeChat to swipe through.
There is a special entrance for free transfers in the metro station for T1-T2 connections, just need to past through metro security.
fairhsa likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Very tight. OP probably needs to obtain CX BP at least 40 min or even more before departure.
Already have those via on-line check-in and printing.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to write these detailed responses. They are incredibly helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.