Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Future of regional business class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

Will regional J seats be eventually phased out and all birds will have the lie flats seats?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by boybi
Will regional J seats be eventually phased out and all birds will have the lie flats seats?
IIRC, CX's last public statements on the issue were that a new RBC would be introduced in a few years and it would NOT necessarily be lie flat.

However, I think there are still a few possibilities for hope. It revolves around KA and CX end up with different RBC seats. KA not lie flat, and CX all flat. SQ is going to all flat beds in RBC and I have to imagine that will at least be considered in CX-land.

I'm not sure what CX has decided. But I know that KA taking over more short haul routes is a likely probability. I could eventually see KA doing more short haul and CX focusing on higher yielding short hauh only, plus medium and long haul. In such a scenario it might make sense for two products and let CX be all flat. The two are being much more closely integrated which could call for some differentiation about which routes get served by which carrier.

If ka and CX aren't further differentiated, and they have the same new RBC seat, then I think hope for lie flat is very low.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
IIRC, CX's last public statements on the issue were that a new RBC would be introduced in a few years and it would NOT necessarily be lie flat.

However, I think there are still a few possibilities for hope. It revolves around KA and CX end up with different RBC seats. KA not lie flat, and CX all flat. SQ is going to all flat beds in RBC and I have to imagine that will at least be considered in CX-land.

I'm not sure what CX has decided. But I know that KA taking over more short haul routes is a likely probability. I could eventually see KA doing more short haul and CX focusing on higher yielding short hauh only, plus medium and long haul. In such a scenario it might make sense for two products and let CX be all flat. The two are being much more closely integrated which could call for some differentiation about which routes get served by which carrier.

If ka and CX aren't further differentiated, and they have the same new RBC seat, then I think hope for lie flat is very low.
Yes, my recollection (AusBT article I believe) is that CX categorically said that new regional J (CX and KA) would NOT be lie flat. However as you say, SQ has raised the bar, not only with mainline SQ, but also with the recent announcement that SilkAir 737s will be fitted with lie flat J. Even if CX/KA decide not to implement lie flat they may find themselves (if for no other reason than keeping up with what the competition is doing) having to, at a minimum, offer consistency and predicability on at least some routes where there is none today.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
Yes, my recollection (AusBT article I believe) is that CX categorically said that new regional J (CX and KA) would NOT be lie flat.
CX hasn't absolutely ruled out lie-flat, as my interviews with them have been during the earlier stages of the regional J project, but its intention and justification – the later that relatively short flights, especially for Cathay Dragon, removed the need for a flat bed – was clear:

March 2018
“I think it will be most likely reclinable because it is a narrow-body aircraft. ... basically we're still seeing the majority of the flights are below two hours, stretched to four and at most six. We are actually looking at various different options right now, so we don't have a decision yet. There are a lot of plans in terms of how we want to refresh or redesign some of the future business class products."
Vivian Lo, Cathay Pacific’s Head of Customer Experience & Design
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...-for-2020-2021

June 2018
(A321neo will be) in a two-class configuration of about 200 seats. Our average regional sector length for Cathay Dragon is two hours, for Cathay Pacific it’s three hours, so at the moment we think we’ve got a very comfortable product for that service.”
Some bloke named Rupert Hogg :P
https://www.ausbt.com.au/what-s-next...business-class

I don't have a timeframe on delivery of the first A321neos beyond '2020' but CX would need to have that seat decision locked down soonish, although if it's a line-fit job (which I'd expect to be the case) the airline has extra time up its sleeve.

However as you say, SQ has raised the bar, not only with mainline SQ, but also with the recent announcement that SilkAir 737s will be fitted with lie flat J. Even if CX/KA decide not to implement lie flat they may find themselves (if for no other reason than keeping up with what the competition is doing) having to, at a minimum, offer consistency and predicability on at least some routes where there is none today
SQ's SilkAir decision really raises the regional; business class bar, although unsure if this really and significantly impacts CX for passengers. As an industry move, absolutely; as a nominal competitor, yes – but how many CX regional passengers would choose to fly SQ regional instead of CX regional?

If we're talking of people in HKG, the only common route would be HKG-SIN, which is of course a busy route for both airlines, but also a fairly short flight, and the loyalty handcuffs for lounge access etc come into play.

On any other route, HKG to anywhere else, is anybody going to fly SQ HKG-SIN and then connect SIN-somewhere for the sake of a flat bed? I can't see that happening, so on that basis I'd suggest CX can get by without a regional flat bed, in a smaller version of the same way that Emirates has been able top get by with a middle seat in its B777 business class for so long – because it can.

So as much as it'd be nice to see regional flat-beds for CX/KA, I'd not be holding my breath. Just my 2c
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by djsflynn

If we're talking of people in HKG, the only common route would be HKG-SIN, which is of course a busy route for both airlines, but also a fairly short flight, and the loyalty handcuffs for lounge access etc come into play.

On any other route, HKG to anywhere else, is anybody going to fly SQ HKG-SIN and then connect SIN-somewhere for the sake of a flat bed? I can't see that happening, so on that basis I'd suggest CX can get by without a regional flat bed, in a smaller version of the same way that Emirates has been able top get by with a middle seat in its B777 business class for so long – because it can.

So as much as it'd be nice to see regional flat-beds for CX/KA, I'd not be holding my breath. Just my 2c
I also strongly doubt that CX would retrofit its recently-installed regional seats.
But I disagree that HKG-SIN is a "short" route". I frequently do this route and always stay in my seat for 4+ hours. It makes a whale of difference for my back pains to be able to lie down for a couple of hours.
But CX is mostly using LH planes on that destination, so that's how they should compete with SQ.
There are other destinations where they compete with seats far better than their regional ones, for example BKK (TG) or some destinations served by HX wide-bodies; and that's where they try to compete by sending LH planes. But the Russian roulette is painful. After a long business day, I need to lie down and take a nap. A last-minute change to a regional product is infuriating. I would be fine if CX could make an extreme priority to stick to their scheduled allocation of LH planes. But we know that it is impossible for operational reasons.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by brunos
But I disagree that HKG-SIN is a "short" route". I frequently do this route and always stay in my seat for 4+ hours..
Sorry, that'd be my geographical bias creeping in – I'm in Sydney, and for most of us Aussies, four hours is 'a short flight'... I'll often describe SYD-SIN as being not a long flight, to the amusement of overseas colleagues who see eight hours as being very long!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
I After a long business day, I need to lie down and take a nap. A last-minute change to a regional product is infuriating.
Not infuriating enough for you to switch airlines (is it even possible) or downgrade to Y...so they should continue to to make you suffer
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Sorry, that'd be my geographical bias creeping in – I'm in Sydney, and for most of us Aussies, four hours is 'a short flight'... I'll often describe SYD-SIN as being not a long flight, to the amusement of overseas colleagues who see eight hours as being very long!
There's also the fact that many CX pax are connecting off other flights of varying duration up to 16+ hours. It can make a material difference whether the final 2-5 hours are spent in regional J or lie flat.

Regarding your other point about SQ/CX pax not overlapping on many routes, yes, clearly that is the case for HKG based pax. But perhaps you underestimate the importance of CX's non-HKG customer base. The two airlines are fierce rivals for the travel spend of many of us based in the region (outside HKG) who could choose to do predominantly all of our travel with either. From this perspective differences in the regional offering matter.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:18 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've split these posts out of the equipment thread to keep the other thread more clean.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:38 pm

Night flights of 3.5 hours and above should never be on regional cradle seats. They are horrible to sleep on. And business people flying at night choose to do so just to get whatever little sleep they can.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Not infuriating enough for you to switch airlines (is it even possible) or downgrade to Y...so they should continue to to make you suffer
You are quite right. Now that they mostly have LH planes on BKK and SIN, I have returned to CX (was using TG and SQ), despite the occasional infuriation.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
I find the seats acceptable for regional flights indeed, on condition that it’s not on a 777 with 2-3-2 seating. I was in the middle seat on a 773 to TPE (yes it’s the shortest CX flight) and found myself no different to seating in Y.

Regarding the future regional seats, I just think CX and KA would keep the cradle seat design as most of KA routes do not require flat bed IMHO. And CX would just “keep up” with KA on its regional fleet.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's also the fact that many CX pax are connecting off other flights of varying duration up to 16+ hours. It can make a material difference whether the final 2-5 hours are spent in regional J or lie flat.

Regarding your other point about SQ/CX pax not overlapping on many routes, yes, clearly that is the case for HKG based pax. But perhaps you underestimate the importance of CX's non-HKG customer base. The two airlines are fierce rivals for the travel spend of many of us based in the region (outside HKG) who could choose to do predominantly all of our travel with either. From this perspective differences in the regional offering matter.
Your point is a major one. Not only for non-HKG Asian pax but also to attract European/US pax flying to Asia with a transit in HKG (e.g. to HKT, DPS and others). CX competes not only with SQ but also with QR and the like. HK-based customers (I am one of them) are a minority for CX.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
If KA uses lie flat for J class... how will they be able to sell their F products?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
If KA uses lie flat for J class... how will they be able to sell their F products?
is it possible for KA to drop F altogether and just call their lie flats as J class?

then relegate the routes that have F class passengers to CX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.