FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Future of regional business class seats
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:50 pm
djsflynn

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
Yes, my recollection (AusBT article I believe) is that CX categorically said that new regional J (CX and KA) would NOT be lie flat.
CX hasn't absolutely ruled out lie-flat, as my interviews with them have been during the earlier stages of the regional J project, but its intention and justification – the later that relatively short flights, especially for Cathay Dragon, removed the need for a flat bed – was clear:

March 2018
“I think it will be most likely reclinable because it is a narrow-body aircraft. ... basically we're still seeing the majority of the flights are below two hours, stretched to four and at most six. We are actually looking at various different options right now, so we don't have a decision yet. There are a lot of plans in terms of how we want to refresh or redesign some of the future business class products."
Vivian Lo, Cathay Pacific’s Head of Customer Experience & Design
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...-for-2020-2021

June 2018
(A321neo will be) in a two-class configuration of about 200 seats. Our average regional sector length for Cathay Dragon is two hours, for Cathay Pacific it’s three hours, so at the moment we think we’ve got a very comfortable product for that service.”
Some bloke named Rupert Hogg :P
https://www.ausbt.com.au/what-s-next...business-class

I don't have a timeframe on delivery of the first A321neos beyond '2020' but CX would need to have that seat decision locked down soonish, although if it's a line-fit job (which I'd expect to be the case) the airline has extra time up its sleeve.

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
However as you say, SQ has raised the bar, not only with mainline SQ, but also with the recent announcement that SilkAir 737s will be fitted with lie flat J. Even if CX/KA decide not to implement lie flat they may find themselves (if for no other reason than keeping up with what the competition is doing) having to, at a minimum, offer consistency and predicability on at least some routes where there is none today
SQ's SilkAir decision really raises the regional; business class bar, although unsure if this really and significantly impacts CX for passengers. As an industry move, absolutely; as a nominal competitor, yes – but how many CX regional passengers would choose to fly SQ regional instead of CX regional?

If we're talking of people in HKG, the only common route would be HKG-SIN, which is of course a busy route for both airlines, but also a fairly short flight, and the loyalty handcuffs for lounge access etc come into play.

On any other route, HKG to anywhere else, is anybody going to fly SQ HKG-SIN and then connect SIN-somewhere for the sake of a flat bed? I can't see that happening, so on that basis I'd suggest CX can get by without a regional flat bed, in a smaller version of the same way that Emirates has been able top get by with a middle seat in its B777 business class for so long – because it can.

So as much as it'd be nice to see regional flat-beds for CX/KA, I'd not be holding my breath. Just my 2c