Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Possible to request additional award space for 5th family member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Global Services

Hi all-

We're a family of five flying from JFK-DOH next week all on award tickets. We booked almost a year out and booked four QSuites and one economy ticket (the fifth business ticket wasn't available). Currently 50% of the seats in business are unoccupied, with just a few days until departure. I booked these tickets through Asia Miles and called them to see if they could email Qatar to inquire if they could open a fifth seat (which I thought was an option I had read in an article somewhere). They said they could not do that and I'd have to wait for Qatar to open any seats. Has anyone gone though this previously? Are there any options available or should I call Asia Miles back and hope for a different agent? At the end of the day it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, but I'd really love for all the children and ourselves to be together.

Thank you in advance and if this is better suited for the Cathay/Asia Miles thread please let me know.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
cant stop u from asking but the answer is prob no
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is nothing they can or will do. It’s is solle up to QR whether they release seats or not. Your best bet is to check every day.
orbitmic and etkuo like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is nothing they can or will do. It’s is solle up to QR whether they release seats or not. Your best bet is to check every day.
Will do. *Fingers crossed*
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:07 pm

imagine they allow this then the AM staff will be sending email non stop every day!

you best bet is to wait or buy a revenue ticket.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:11 am

Airlines will not request other airlines to open up award seats, unless they need to do so because of their own reasons e.g. an agent screw-up or flight cancellations.

Award availability outside of the airline's own FFP is entirely "take it as is".
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
You already were very lucky to get 4 business award seats on the same flight as usually it's more like 0, 1 or 2 business award seats available per flight. On very rare occasions I could find more than 4 business class award seats for the same flight.
If you want to give you the best chance to seat all your family in business class and don't wan't to buy a business class ticket for the 5th person, you'd better cancel the eco award ticket and buy an upgradable economy fare for the 5th person and use Qmiles (if you have any) for airport upgrades before each flight, because at airport (except in LHR) they will accept to upgrade any economy passenger with Qmiles providing there are seats available in business class.
Beware that not all economy booking classes are upgradable : W is definitly not, there are reports than O and T classes, even booked under Eco Saver fare family, are not acceptable for airport upgrades, so you need at least a Q class ticket or more (N, S, V, L, K, M, H, B, Y).
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4
You already were very lucky to get 4 business award seats on the same flight as usually it's more like 0, 1 or 2 business award seats available per flight. On very rare occasions I could find more than 4 business class award seats for the same flight.
If you want to give you the best chance to seat all your family in business class and don't wan't to buy a business class ticket for the 5th person, you'd better cancel the eco award ticket and buy an upgradable economy fare for the 5th person and use Qmiles (if you have any) for airport upgrades before each flight, because at airport (except in LHR) they will accept to upgrade any economy passenger with Qmiles providing there are seats available in business class.
Beware that not all economy booking classes are upgradable : W is definitly not, there are reports than O and T classes, even booked under Eco Saver fare family, are not acceptable for airport upgrades, so you need at least a Q class ticket or more (N, S, V, L, K, M, H, B, Y).
Thanks to all. I know we were very fortunate so certainly not going to complain!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Rock Paper Scissors to decide who sits in the back.
Depending in your family structure (couple with 3 young children? Or couple with either spouse’s parents and one child?...etc.), your decision may be easy!
—> my suggestion is the eldest child takes economy!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by EWRGirl
Hi all-

We're a family of five flying from JFK-DOH next week all on award tickets. We booked almost a year out and booked four QSuites and one economy ticket (the fifth business ticket wasn't available). Currently 50% of the seats in business are unoccupied, with just a few days until departure. I booked these tickets through Asia Miles and called them to see if they could email Qatar to inquire if they could open a fifth seat (which I thought was an option I had read in an article somewhere). They said they could not do that and I'd have to wait for Qatar to open any seats. Has anyone gone though this previously? Are there any options available or should I call Asia Miles back and hope for a different agent? At the end of the day it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, but I'd really love for all the children and ourselves to be together.

Thank you in advance and if this is better suited for the Cathay/Asia Miles thread please let me know.

Chances of that happening are slim to none.
I often face this dilemma as we are a family of 5 and travel frequently with Qatar Airways. I have always been able to get 4 seats in Biz but no more. As others have said, i am always thankful for the 4 seats that i get. Sometimes i get economy ticket for the 5th passenger. Other times, a solo biz ticket on Emirates keeps the 5th one happy.
Btw, how much did you pay in taxes and fee via Asiamiles?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Rock Paper Scissors to decide who sits in the back.
Depending in your family structure (couple with 3 young children? Or couple with either spouse’s parents and one child?...etc.), your decision may be easy!
—> my suggestion is the eldest child takes economy!
That’s exactly what we did... eldest child is in economy! We will have the same configuration when we go to MLE, so my husband is being booted back for that one
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by takhliq1
Chances of that happening are slim to none.
I often face this dilemma as we are a family of 5 and travel frequently with Qatar Airways. I have always been able to get 4 seats in Biz but no more. As others have said, i am always thankful for the 4 seats that i get. Sometimes i get economy ticket for the 5th passenger. Other times, a solo biz ticket on Emirates keeps the 5th one happy.
Btw, how much did you pay in taxes and fee via Asiamiles?
Very interesting to hear, we are very thankful for our four! I honestly don’t remember how much we paid as it was a year ago. If I had to ballpark, $200?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.