Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dropping a leg and getting bags in HKG instead of travelling to Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping a leg and getting bags in HKG instead of travelling to Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
You definitely will get a red beep for a documents check. Using online check in and self printing of boarding passes doesn't stop CX from checking your documents. It's happened to me multiple times.
I did a three part trip last week: CX from HKG to TPE to meet up with mates, then JL TPE to NRT for rugby then back on UO.

I couldn't even get a BP for HKG-TPE one-way on Avios tix. Had to be printed at desk. Docs checked and onward tix asked for.

At TPE, online BP was obtained, but docs check was still carried out on me when one of my mates checked in bags. Strangely, onward tix (which would've been the UO tix) not asked for.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by driveswith
If you don't get the response you need I suggest you do as I did and extend the stay in HKG. If I recall correctly, it was less than $100 USD and allowed me to get my luggage and move on. Saying that, I did spend some time touring in Vietnam and loved it, so if you can squeeze in even 48 hours I'm sure you wont regret it.
We spent time in Hanoi on the outbound, and have been to Vietnam 3 times in 5 years now, so I think it’s time to see something else! Thanks, though.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Anyone tried short checking a bag in more recent times?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 5:08 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
No issue. I flew LAX-HKG-SIN but bags only checked to HKG.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 5:25 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by bagold
No issue. I flew LAX-HKG-SIN but bags only checked to HKG.
How long was the transit at HKG?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:06 am

Earlier this year, my travel companion and I travelled on MXP-HKG-XXX route with reward ticket and revenue ticket, and holding QR G* and CX SL* respectively. We were both denied to check our bags to HKG only, and the station manager in red clothes told us CX prevent checking bags to HKG if the ticket doesn’t allow a stopover. I didn’t argue much since the outsourced lady seemed to be experienced. We ended up approaching transit desk in HKG to end our journey, and the ground service company (forgot the name) spent an extra hour to find our bags.
percysmith and feh like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.