Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dropping a leg and getting bags in HKG instead of travelling to Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping a leg and getting bags in HKG instead of travelling to Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Just out of interest - does CX have to take legal action against the passenger for a reprice if you drop the last leg, or can they just calcualte and bill the credit card with no passenger consent?

(Legally I'd be questioning whether any such repice would actually be valid as it might be considered a 'penalty' - at least in places like USA, UK, Australia etc. But whether that concept applies in Viet Nam I have no idea.)
don’t think CX can charge the customer credit card automatically. I think they will bill them, if refuse then sue
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:54 pm

Bring old clothes and an old suitcase for your travel. When you reach the destination, wear and throw. Finally discard suitcase and return with only carry on bags with no need for the airline to check in any baggage.

Seriously I do this for some of my trips. And it's cathartic.

Only thing that can possibly screw this up is if I go overboard with shopping at my destination.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Just out of interest - does CX have to take legal action against the passenger for a reprice if you drop the last leg, or can they just calcualte and bill the credit card with no passenger consent?

(Legally I'd be questioning whether any such repice would actually be valid as it might be considered a 'penalty' - at least in places like USA, UK, Australia etc. But whether that concept applies in Viet Nam I have no idea.)
Depends on the wording of clause in contract of carriage but a reasonably good draft will allow CX to charge without having to sue. This seems to have been what BA did also and this is what hotels etc do when they discover that guest broke things in the room or removed certain items. The card holder can dispute the charge of course and there are procedures and a burden of proof to discharge. As for whether it is a penalty, I do not think it is. It will be viewed as the passenger opting to change the route / itinerary to a more expensive one (which is precisely what happens) and therefore a more expensive price is charged. Penalty is when one charges a super-normal price to repel / discourage a customer, a price that is not anywhere else charged. Here, if CX only charges what a normal HKG-JFK return route costs or whatever the passenger actually flies, how can that be a penalty? That is in fact reality!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Depends on the wording of clause in contract of carriage but a reasonably good draft will allow CX to charge without having to sue. This seems to have been what BA did also and this is what hotels etc do when they discover that guest broke things in the room or removed certain items. The card holder can dispute the charge of course and there are procedures and a burden of proof to discharge. As for whether it is a penalty, I do not think it is. It will be viewed as the passenger opting to change the route / itinerary to a more expensive one (which is precisely what happens) and therefore a more expensive price is charged. Penalty is when one charges a super-normal price to repel / discourage a customer, a price that is not anywhere else charged. Here, if CX only charges what a normal HKG-JFK return route costs or whatever the passenger actually flies, how can that be a penalty? That is in fact reality!
I guess the potential argument for it being a penalty is that the sum imposed would not be a reflection of the loss suffered by the airline. In fact the opposite, the airline would be saving money through fuel and ground handling. I'd see a voluntary re-route differently - the applicable fare would prevail.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, iHG Spire, JGC Diamond
Originally Posted by Cambo
Would give you a nice "reprice".......
I thought it only cost 100USD, this is no longer the case?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Robbie0129
I thought it only cost 100USD, this is no longer the case?
My understanding is that you can only change at the "historical fare" if there is A space available. However, CX have zeroed A/C/D/I inventory if your ticket involves Vietnam.
This means that you will be charged the prevailing rate (F/J), which is much higher.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sxc
If your next flight is also on CX, you do run the risk of the check-in agent finding your original booking and asking awkward questions.
Are there any automated checks for this type of thing? It seems like if you traveled with a carry-on bag and only used a mobile boarding pass you might be able to fly under the radar.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft543
Are there any automated checks for this type of thing? It seems like if you traveled with a carry-on bag and only used a mobile boarding pass you might be able to fly under the radar.
You would be a 'no-show' for the sector. I guess if the airline wanted to look for a pattern of this for flights HKG-VietNam they could do it, and adjust their handling accordingly. But that's a big 'if' as to whether they will be bothered... unless they want to force more people to cancel.
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

To clarify a bit, I'm asking because I'm considering ditching my last leg and flying a CX flight to my actual intended destination.

My itinerary is:
JFK-HKG on CX, arrive in the evening
HKG-HAN on KA, depart the next morning

If I book CX flight to my actual indented destination that departs shortly after my arrival on HKG will it be auto-canceled? It doesn't overlap in timing with my next flight, but I'm not sure how things work with CX.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Bring old clothes and an old suitcase for your travel. When you reach the destination, wear and throw. Finally discard suitcase and return with only carry on bags with no need for the airline to check in any baggage.

Seriously I do this for some of my trips. And it's cathartic.

Only thing that can possibly screw this up is if I go overboard with shopping at my destination.
OT, but I gotta do this once- Not for going HBO, but the catharsis bit sounds appealing!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: CX
I will be doing a direct turn on my last leg with Vietnam visa and no check-in luggage. Given Dom's experience, I will have to alert CX/KA staff beforehand

Last edited by chunhw2792; Jan 5, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: CX
CX will be watching mistake tickets very closely. Potentially looking to recoup the bill as much as possible

Does anyone know if inbound-F/outbound-J pax is entitled to F-lounge?

Last edited by chunhw2792; Jan 5, 2019 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chunhw2792

Does anyone know if inbound-F/outbound-J pax is entitled to F-lounge?
Connecting between short haul J and long haul F (either way) will get you access to the F lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
In my experience you had better be able to show onward booking from Vietnam when checking in also.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by chunhw2792
I will be doing a direct turn on my last leg with Vietnam visa and no check-in luggage. Given Dom's experience, I will have to alert CX/KA staff beforehand
Transit is only possible if departing to a 3rd country...I believe this has been in place before the whole mistake fare issue. Hence, direct turn on your last leg will not be possible.

Someone wrote about it here..

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Jan 6, 2019 at 11:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.