Wiki Posts
Search

Dec 16 CX840 turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Dec 16 CX840 turnaround

Just thought it would be interesting to share.

I was on CX840 on Dec 16 from HKG-JFK. 30-minutes after take-off, the captain said we experienced "minor technical problem" and had to return to HK. It took 45 minutes to dump fuel and flew back. It was very smooth except the landing seemed to be rough as if the pilot was fighting to keep the plane straight on the runway. Afterwards, a senior purser told me it was hydraulics problem. We parked at an outer bay and funnily some cops went on board and asked if anyone was injured. The guy in front of me was like "only the plane was injured"!

The ground crew did try hard to accommodate. They were able to give me and some other DMs boarding passes immediately (when we were still on the plane) to switch to the next flight (CX846) which they delayed to pick up as many of us as possible.

I hate the delay but it was an interesting experience!

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Hope your bags made it to 846.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Sounds like good handling well given this is the prime flight of all prime flights. If this was some Asian regional flight the 846 thing certainly wouldn't have happened.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
HKG -LHR are Cathays 'prime flight of all prime flights" being a British owned and run carrier Old Boy !
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
HKG -LHR are Cathays 'prime flight of all prime flights" being a British owned and run carrier Old Boy !
I'm sure in terms of nostalgia, historical ties, etc. But in terms of fares, it's not even close. In J and F class JFK costs about double LHR. At peak times F can be 3x or more expensive.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by leungti1
Just thought it would be interesting to share.
Thanks.

I was on CX840 on Dec 16 from HKG-JFK. 30-minutes after take-off, the captain said we experienced "minor technical problem" and had to return to HK. It took 45 minutes to dump fuel and flew back. It was very smooth except the landing seemed to be rough as if the pilot was fighting to keep the plane straight on the runway. Afterwards, a senior purser told me it was hydraulics problem. We parked at an outer bay and funnily some cops went on board and asked if anyone was injured. The guy in front of me was like "only the plane was injured"!
Yes, nowadays to many greedy people trying to squeeze money out of big pockets for nonsense items. Good CX requested official, independent record of the factual status.

The ground crew did try hard to accommodate. They were able to give me and some other DMs boarding passes immediately (when we were still on the plane) to switch to the next flight (CX846) which they delayed to pick up as many of us as possible.
There are reasons to fly CX, so to say.

I hate the delay but it was an interesting experience!
There are reasons to fly CX, that these things do become an interesting experience, in stead of a drama.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Yes, despite the inconvenience I thought CX staff handled it quite well. Some passengers were complaining but we should be happy to reach our destination safely!! For a change, I think CX should still be my go-to airline!!

And I just noticed CX gave me 2x points and miles for my flight. Not sure if it was a "compensation" or mistake.
royng likes this.

Last edited by leungti1; Dec 18, 2018 at 5:38 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:46 pm

I was also on this flight...here is a video clip of the plane dumping fuel from where I sat in PE: https://streamable.com/bkbsj

Slight inconvenience with the delay but happy to reach my destination safely...looks like I got double points/miles too (once for 840, then 846).

CX Staff handled things quite well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.