Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Switch with Daughter mid flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Seat Switch with Daughter mid flight

Hi, I'm flying BOS-HKG. I am in J and my daughter is in PE. Am I better off asking for permission if we were to swap seats mid-flight or forgiveness?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I doubt that will work......... Unless you do it quietly during mid-flight with the lights off and without letting them see........
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
The crew may allow you to trade, but only once. Once you trade seats, it’s expected you stay there till the end of the flight.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Score8
Hi, I'm flying BOS-HKG. I am in J and my daughter is in PE. Am I better off asking for permission if we were to swap seats mid-flight or forgiveness?
Technically mid-flight isn't permitted on CX. Some US security rule prohibits it too. You're definitely not doing the right thing by not asking in advance.

What they do about an unrequested switch, probably will range from accepting it and saying don't switch again, to forcing you to switch back and warning you not to do that. The crew definitely won't like it but you're not going to get arrested if that's what you're asking.

Regardless, not asking definitely isn't the right way to conduct yourself onboard. I'm not sure though where are the higher odds of success, asking or not
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
The informal practice on CX is that you are allowed to switch once only. So no back and forth. Just tell the crew after take off.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:29 am

Mid-flight seat switches are severely frowned upon. You definitely have to ask for permission from the ISM before you switch. I would ask for permission as soon as I board the plane and see if the ISM would bend the rules.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Technically mid-flight isn't permitted on CX. Some US security rule prohibits it too. You're definitely not doing the right thing by not asking in advance.

What they do about an unrequested switch, probably will range from accepting it and saying don't switch again, to forcing you to switch back and warning you not to do that. The crew definitely won't like it but you're not going to get arrested if that's what you're asking.

Regardless, not asking definitely isn't the right way to conduct yourself onboard. I'm not sure though where are the higher odds of success, asking or not
The USA security rules apply to flights TO the USA, not flights FROM the USA.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:13 am

Had an overnight HKG-Europe once with a buddy in PE. I don’t usually eat breakfast, so I asked if we would be allowed to switch a couple hours before landing. Was told nope, can switch (once) but only immediately after dinner service. So as mentioned, there’s no definitive answer and you absolutely should and must ask.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: CX Gold
Actually I saw a rare scene on a United Airlines flight SFO-HKG earlier this year. I was sitting in the first row of Economy (Or Economy Plus if it matters), and across the aisle sits an old gentleman, whose wife was sitting in front of him---as you can imagine, the last row of Business Class. I believe they deliberately chose to sit 'together', as during this long flight, they switched twice. That is, the wife enjoyed both the dinner and breakfast service, but in the middle 3-4 hours when most people were asleep, the wife asked her husband to come up and sleep lie-flat for a few hours. I believe the FA noticed this, but did not say anything, presumably because the husband did not eat Business Class meals.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Be a great parent and let your daughter take your J seat from the beginning!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Be a great parent and let your daughter take your J seat from the beginning!
I wouldn't want to steal your thunder!

OK. I'll probably ask...

M
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Score8
I wouldn't want to steal your thunder!

OK. I'll probably ask...

M
Please let us know the outcome of this! Always intersting to know. I think it will be down to the crew as to how it gets handled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.