FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1908426-densified-777-10-abreast-reviews-experiences.html)

QRC3288 Apr 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by limeca (Post 29666445)
Was on B-KPY to Nagoya on April 13 - and from gathering of the above posts, seems it was the first 777-300ER refitted with 10 abreast.

Thoughts:
I was seated in Economy window seat with two companions; the seat itself is a major improvement: despite being slimmer than before, they finally got the lumbar padding right and it's the first time i've never needed to ask for a pillow to put on my lower back.

The aisles are definitely noticeable narrower, and my companion sitting on the aisle seat noticed much more people bumping into the chairs. The cabin is noticeably much more cramp.

Strangely - Premium economy was not updated to the current ones on the A350 aircraft. However, I flew the A350 on PE (new) a day before from London and was on a 777-300ER PE back from Nagoya when I came back. Would agree that the new Premium Economy seat is not an improvement beyond the IFE.

Congratulations, you are also the first reviewer on here!

The PEY seats on 77W aren't being updated, so no surprise there.

Much thanks.

SinoBritAsia Apr 21, 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 29658590)
I'd bet this scenario could lead to greater op-ups for the next 6-12 months as these new birds get reconfigured. I'd bet eventually, CX might start betting on the increased capacity and overselling Y a little bit more, especially to places like LAX and JFK where they have multiple frequencies of the same bird type each day. Going to be interesting.....

I can confirm that NO sale of 10-abreast starts officially until June and that month is only regionally-configured 10-abreast. Long-haul starts in July, as per internal document.

percysmith Apr 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia (Post 29667107)
I can confirm that NO sale of 10-abreast starts officially until June and that month is only regionally-configured 10-abreast. Long-haul starts in July, as per internal document.

Makes sense: summer school hols. PRC school kids to summer camps and HK families on their Europe/US long holidays

Any news on increased staffing for the additional 40 pax?

QRC3288 Apr 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia (Post 29667107)

thx

comcats Apr 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Looks like B-KPY has started on the long haul flights, LHR and YYZ in the past two days: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...ageActivityLog

Marco Polo Apr 24, 2018 9:13 pm

B777 Ten seat configuration - latest review

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-economy-seat/

barracuda93 Apr 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Flew recently from KIX to TPE on CX in economy and hugely regretted not booking business. 10 seats/row arrangement is horrible. Previously I enjoyed their economy, seats were convenient and I could easily sleep. New seats do not allow to adjust yourself in any comfortable way. It reminded me flying AirAsia or Cebu Pacific, it was that bad. Gonna avoid CX as much as possible from now, unless I book business.

ansonn_c Apr 29, 2018 7:17 am

Reconfigured 77H --> 77A
Reconfigured 73Z --> 77P
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...g-777/300.html

boybi Apr 29, 2018 8:35 am

From Airlineroute:

Cathay Pacific in the last few days gradually outlined planned operation with its re-configured Boeing 777-300 and -300ER, featuring 3-4-3 layout in Economy Class (instead of 3-3-3). The re-configured aircraft is gradually loaded in the reservation system as well as the OAG, starting June 2018.

Current schedule is updated until 28OCT18, and service entry date is likely to move forward.

777-300 (J42Y396)
01JUN18 – 30JUN18 (Selected flights only for following routes)
Hong Kong – Bangkok
Hong Kong – Manila
Hong Kong – Osaka Kansai
Hong Kong – Singapore
Hong Kong – Taipei Taoyuan
Hong Kong – Tokyo Narita

01JUL18 – 27OCT18
Hong Kong – Osaka Kansai CX506/507

777-300ER J40W32Y296
eff 19JUN18 Hong Kong – London Heathrow
eff 01JUL18 Hong Kong – Rome
eff 01OCT18 Hong Kong – Johannesburg

777-300ER F6J53W34Y201
eff 01AUG18 Hong Kong – Tokyo Haneda CX548/549

feh Apr 30, 2018 2:28 am

I had a 10-across 777 BOM-HKG about 10 days ago (in Y, obviously). Fortunately had an empty seat next to me.

But I was surprised at how small/ narrow/ feeble the arm rests were. Not enough room for my elbow. So heaven knows how someone sat in the middle with pax either side would endure a long haul (e.g. LHR, JNB, FCO) in Y

gpia May 1, 2018 9:41 pm

Had the pleasure of experiencing the new 10 abreast last week. The seat was very comfortable with excellent cushioning. Not sure this is due to the fact that's it's only a couple of weeks old, but at least there were no issues like the completely unprotected lower back like on the 350 Y seats. The IFE is fantastic - and you can skip ahead through the commercials using the FF button method ;).

However, and not surprisingly, you can def feel the missing 1.5 inches on the sides. Played around a bit, and it would be near impossible for me not to protrude into the neighbors space. No way to avoid rubbing elbows and arms. And I am certainly not a COS.

Had only read about 10 abreast on other airlines, but will try my hardest to avoid these in the future. If there's no other options like KA on my routes or can't fly PEY, I can honestly say I will look into other carriers.

percysmith May 1, 2018 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 29705489)
However, and not surprisingly, you can def feel the missing 1.5 inches on the sides. Played around a bit, and it would be near impossible for me not to protrude into the neighbors space. No way to avoid rubbing elbows and arms. And I am certainly not a COS.

"Would be" - the seat(s) next to you were not actually occupied?

Cathay Dragon 666 May 2, 2018 11:33 am

I just had a downgrade with the family on a 777 plane, but we were handsomely rewarded (which I appreciate) so no argument from our family, it's only a 3-hour flight. It was 9-across still, and I feel very cramped with the seats. I'm just 6'1" 160 pounds fine-tuned guy, and I feel the seats are already too cramp. My wife ,who's 5'5" and 120 pounds, agrees.

I keep walking up and down the aisles to visually imagine how is it possible for them to fit one more seat into the cabin? In the future I will fight tooth-and-nails to NEVER get downgraded to 10-across. It's insane to imagine how can people rest comfortably in that arrangement, especially on cross-timezone long flights.

percysmith May 2, 2018 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 (Post 29707676)
I just had a downgrade with the family on a 777 plane, but we were handsomely rewarded (which I appreciate) so no argument from our family, it's only a 3-hour flight. It was 9-across still, and I feel very cramped with the seats. I'm just 6'1" 160 pounds fine-tuned guy, and I feel the seats are already too cramp. My wife ,who's 5'5" and 120 pounds, agrees.

But there isn't a wider Economy seat with any other airline in any other plane, with the possible exception of A380s and JL 787 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29680782

michaeltchuang May 22, 2018 3:05 pm

I was on B-KQX this past weekend (10-across in Y)...but there was no Wi-Fi. Anyone know when CX will have working Wi-Fi for 10-across 77Ws?