Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Delayed Inbound to Hong Kong - Likely Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

I'm booked on CX764 tonight from Ho Chi Minh City to Hong Kong connecting to CX271 to Amsterdam at 00:15. I'm flying Business and OWE.

The inbound flight has been delayed with expected arrival at 23:35 - is it feasible I'll make this connection (and more importantly, will my luggage?)

I'm actually on an ex-EU trip and will be flying back from Amsterdam to Edinburgh tomorrow morning on a separate (KLM) booking. I see a couple of options:

1. Ask to be re-routed onto an EDI routing via LGW using CX343 to LGW and some other codeshare to EDI
2. Just get dropped off in London and book onward travel myself (less than ideal as this will add cost)
3. Actually make the connection with luggage (Best case scenario)
4. Make the connection but luggage doesn't arrive (will CX send this to Edinburgh?)

Anything else I should be considering? I can't easily phone CX from here so can go to Ho Chi Minh early but interested in the forum wisdom ....

Many Thanks!

Michael
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:42 am

You should make it fine. There will likely be a gate agent to meet you and walk you to your gate. The luggage is more of a gamble. Personally I'd suggest getting to your Amsterdam gate as soon as you arrive, and once there you can then start inquiring about your luggage at the gate, instead of wasting energy discussing it on the way there. God speed.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Quite likely you make it, provided the incoming flight is "on-time" on the delayed schedule, especially when you get accompanied by CX staff (gives you priority at transit security).

Apart from that, gate close of the CX271 is regularly delayed for some 5-10 min (Not to speak about the delays after gate closed.....).

When you ask at the gate, around gate close time, whether your luggage is registered as being on board, it gives you some time to (not) worry and/or consider your options. Though, it still could be, your luggage is on board, even when it wasn't, at gate close moment.

Note: Whether you are going to make the connection is not depending on you, but they decided for you. If they decided you won't make it and still show up on time, before gate close, heavily sweating, with a red face, they still not allow you to board when they offloaded you in favour of a wait-listed passenger. Of course, when they decided to let you join that flight and you make a mess of the transit time, you will be denied.

Good luck.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks both - quick question - I didn't realise the gate can tell if my bag is on board?

Finding that out though, what can I realistically do with that information as I'm about to board?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Thanks both - quick question - I didn't realise the gate can tell if my bag is on board?

Finding that out though, what can I realistically do with that information as I'm about to board?
If you know it's on board, you no longer have to worry about it.

If it is really important, given you are OWE and flying J, you can consider to bother the ISM with the same question. Also after door close, they do have communication options with CX operations, where these things are known to. Though it's a very busy time then, so it's all about obliging to provide not mandatory service to you.
For example: As long as you are on the ground, you have phone options to timely arrange alternatives for the items you are missing in Amsterdam. When you find out in Amsterdam, that'll be to late.

And one more thing, you reported to transit in AMS towards EDI. In principle, you should be able to check-through your luggage already in SGN. That has the advantage, CX knows upfront, you have an onward connection in AMS (though not their responsibility, because on a separate PNR), but they will do their best, you make the connection. Taking care your luggage makes the HKG connection would be even more favourable, since the EDI destination will make the delivery of the luggage later on somewhat more complicated.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Will CX transfer my luggage all the way to EDI even though I'm flying KLM on a completely separate booking? I wouldn't expect that to work ....

I expect to need to collect my luggage and clear customs in AMS before checking in for the KLM flight?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:25 am

Will CX transfer my luggage all the way to EDI even though I'm flying KLM on a completely separate booking? I wouldn't expect that to work ....

I expect to need to collect my luggage and clear customs in AMS before checking in for the KLM flight?
Show the printed ticket for AMS-EDI at SGN check-in and they should check-through the luggage, it's an official rule at CX. You won't get a boarding pass AMS-EDI though, because that would imply they accept (financial) responsibility for your AMS connection.

There are reasons to fly CX, the luggage check-through on separate PNR's is an important one ! Compare to BA or so.

Consider the time saved to clear immigration (twice), collect your luggage and re-check, etc. Also transit security might be less of a time-issue compared to land-side security (because the airport does not want people to get stuck in the sterile area, due to missed connections, because of long transit security lines). Not to speak about pre-arranging VISA's (though probably not relevant for you in AMS).

See: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...c-flights.html
Quote: "As a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will also through-check your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our airline partners provided that your journey begins with Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon."

In AMS you will have to go to the KLM transfer desk to get your boarding pass (or do OL check-in, when arrived in HKG or AMS).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

CX has a baggage interline agreement with KL, so they are able to check your bag all the way through to EDI. Now, CX may have policies against such practice (not 100% sure either way), and/or outport staff at SGN may not know how to do so, especially given the separate tickets. But in theory it is possible. And if it indeed works out, I don't think you'll need to collect luggage in AMS--other folks who are more familiar with that airport can chime in to confirm or deny either way.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Sorry to be gloom and doom, but MCT for CX to CX flights is 50 minutes. Be prepared that they take you off the AMS flight at some point - possibly after you take off from SGN.

I would push for your option 1. You’re not entitled to it, but they may be amenable to it especially as an emerald.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Sorry to be gloom and doom, but MCT for CX to CX flights is 50 minutes. Be prepared that they take you off the AMS flight at some point - possibly after you take off from SGN.

I would push for your option 1. You’re not entitled to it, but they may be amenable to it especially as an emerald.
The MCT is for booking tickets, not for changes after booking by CX. CX has to solve the problem and they probably do so (unless the outgoing is also significantly delayed), by assigning CX ground staff to prioritize your transit security (and take care, you not get lost, etc). Some 20 minutes before official gate close, should be enough, could be they hold CX271 for that, to.
Asking for option 1) (Reroute) could be an alternative, of course, though CX is not so keen to reroute on request, without you paying more (unless being DM, which is different from OWE).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Yes I would be asking for reroute after they’ve told you that you’ve missed your flight. Not before.

To the OP please do let us know how you go.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Yes I would be asking for reroute after they’ve told you that you’ve missed your flight. Not before.

To the OP please do let us know how you go.
I agree on that (though I myself would not want to be rerouted, due to the need for airport assistance, etc).
Reroute through London, may not make the OP happy......
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Rerouting is fine i'll ask them to check the bag through to edinburgh
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

CX will, as other posters pointed out, check your bag all the way to EDI for you, provided that you show them your KLM ticket. If you are worried that SGNCX staff will not be familiar with the rule, have a print out or mobile screenshot of the link provided by Cambo

Once CX checks bag all the way to EDI, as long as you made the connection, even if the baggage didn't, KLM at EDI will be responsible to get the bag to you.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:10 am

Rerouting is fine i'll ask them to check the bag through to edinburgh
Be aware, reroute through LON, may require you to transit yourself from LHR to one of the other LON airports.....
If this happens, you will have to verify, whether you have to transit the luggage yourself or, CX/KLM does do so for you.
Ask in HKG at the gate, what the final destination of your luggage has become (in SGN it may have been EDI, though because of the reroute it may have changed to LHR or so, ask).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.