FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delayed Inbound to Hong Kong - Likely Options?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:25 am
Cambo

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Will CX transfer my luggage all the way to EDI even though I'm flying KLM on a completely separate booking? I wouldn't expect that to work ....

I expect to need to collect my luggage and clear customs in AMS before checking in for the KLM flight?
Show the printed ticket for AMS-EDI at SGN check-in and they should check-through the luggage, it's an official rule at CX. You won't get a boarding pass AMS-EDI though, because that would imply they accept (financial) responsibility for your AMS connection.

There are reasons to fly CX, the luggage check-through on separate PNR's is an important one ! Compare to BA or so.

Consider the time saved to clear immigration (twice), collect your luggage and re-check, etc. Also transit security might be less of a time-issue compared to land-side security (because the airport does not want people to get stuck in the sterile area, due to missed connections, because of long transit security lines). Not to speak about pre-arranging VISA's (though probably not relevant for you in AMS).

See: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...c-flights.html
Quote: "As a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will also through-check your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our airline partners provided that your journey begins with Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon."

In AMS you will have to go to the KLM transfer desk to get your boarding pass (or do OL check-in, when arrived in HKG or AMS).