Wiki Posts
Search

AA-CX Connection Advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
AA-CX Connection Advice

I've got an AA flight from LAX arriving in HKG at 7:25 AM. What are my chances of making a CX flight to SIN departing at 8:10? (would be on a separate ticket)
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aacar
I've got an AA flight from LAX arriving in HKG at 7:25 AM. What are my chances of making a CX flight to SIN departing at 8:10? (would be on a separate ticket)
have you dealt with ur luggage problem? Assuming you dint have luggage coming out in HKG, you should be fine. The few laxhkg flights arriving in the morning that im involed in, they are early in general.

ps. Ure under mct.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaka

have you dealt with ur luggage problem? Assuming you dint have luggage coming out in HKG, you should be fine. The few laxhkg flights arriving in the morning that im involed in, they are early in general.

ps. Ure under mct.
Thanks, I would only have a carry-on.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by aacar
Thanks, I would only have a carry-on.
It will be very, very tight. Even if you don't have checked luggage, I doubt if you can get the connecting BP from AA as your connection is below MCT.
BearX220 and fairhsa like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
OP, cxfan1960 speaks truth above.

CX may very well rebook you immediately if you misconnect. But, since you're not only on two separate tickets but also below MCT, they certainly are within their rights to take their sweet time rebooking you or even telling you to pound salt (although I highly, highly doubt they'll do this. CX is usually quite friendly in these situations even though you're at fault).

Practically 45 mins can easily be done and if you arrive on time you'll almost certainly make it (provided you've already done online check-in. You must do this). This isn't LHR or LAX or some inconvenient airport. But you have no margin for error if your AA flight is even 20 minutes late.

Realistically you'll probably still be okay even if you misconnect. But since presumably you lack status on CX (which helps significantly in IRROPs) - if you were CX DM or GO, for example I'd say don't worry about it - your downside is real, even though remote. Worst case is all the CX flights are full for whatever reason and they're not too sympathetic to you, so you end up on an afternoon flight or worse. EF can help (if other morning flights are full, I'd recommend your course of action even less), but isn't foolproof. For example if a CX flight goes tech or other pax misconnect and had legit connecting tickets, they're going to get prioritized before you. Or if CX needs to ferry crew last minute. Etc.

Your Sapphire will definitely help. But it'd be a lot more in the bag if you were a CX elite, since your major downside would be mitigated. CX bends over backwards for their elites in IRROPs. I still think you'll be fine fwiw, just downside is real. If you have a critical meeting at 12:30pm in SIN I wouldn't do this itinerary.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:17 am

I made connections with less than 45 min in HKG. But this assumes that your inbound is on time or early. You can check flighradar24 or similar websites to see how often your flight is delayed and what the probability of not making is. And you can estimate the downside (potential cost for new ticket etc)) in that case. It is just a gamble and it is good to know the odds.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That's really pushing it, assuming an on time arrival. If AA arrives early, you should be ok for time.

If you're flying Y, it could take 5-10 minutes to just get off the plane. Then you need to walk (run) to transit security and pray it's not in the opposite direction from your departing gate. Transit security could take as little as 5-10 minutes, but it's more likely it will take around 15-20 minutes (I've experienced both, but mornings tend to be busy). It could easily be 7:50 - 8:00 before you get into the departure area. Then you need to get to your gate, which could take 5-15 minutes depending where it is. The gate will close 10 minutes prior to departure.

You really have no buffer for this connection (aside from AA's schedule padding). I'd suggest you see about rebooking yourself on a later flight or be prepared with a backup plan when you missconnect.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
That's really pushing it, assuming an on time arrival. If AA arrives early, you should be ok for time.

If you're flying Y, it could take 5-10 minutes to just get off the plane. Then you need to walk (run) to transit security and pray it's not in the opposite direction from your departing gate. Transit security could take as little as 5-10 minutes, but it's more likely it will take around 15-20 minutes (I've experienced both, but mornings tend to be busy). It could easily be 7:50 - 8:00 before you get into the departure area. Then you need to get to your gate, which could take 5-15 minutes depending where it is. The gate will close 10 minutes prior to departure.

You really have no buffer for this connection (aside from AA's schedule padding). I'd suggest you see about rebooking yourself on a later flight or be prepared with a backup plan when you missconnect.
OP cannot get through transit security without a BP. That can be a problem if AA does not check OP in for the connection as that is below MCT.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
OP cannot get through transit security without a BP. That can be a problem if AA does not check OP in for the connection as that is below MCT.
Mobile BP will work though right? I've never tried through transit security but I presume they don't need paper BP?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
OP could probably get a mobile BP 24-48hr in advance, but as we all know getting a mobile BP is not 100% reliable. So that’s another risk that I hadn’t considered. Waiting for a BP at the transit desk could add another 5-10 minutes.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Mobile BP will work though right? I've never tried through transit security but I presume they don't need paper BP?
According to https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...tep-guide.html, it should work if OP picked up his/her mobile BP before entering HKG. I personally feel uncomfortable. If OP misses the connection after confirming with the mobile BP, his/her flight coupon may be considered used. I am uncertain.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why do people keep referring to this as a "connection"? It is not. He specifically states that he is on two tickets. The better question to ask is what is the consequence of a no show for his onwards CX flight?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
According to https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...tep-guide.html, it should work if OP picked up his/her mobile BP before entering HKG. I personally feel uncomfortable. If OP misses the connection after confirming with the mobile BP, his/her flight coupon may be considered used. I am uncertain.
I've used the mobile BP when in transit before. No issues at all.

If that fails, however, I'm not sure if the transfer desk will issue a paper BP given the illegal conenction.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
I've used the mobile BP when in transit before. No issues at all.

If that fails, however, I'm not sure if the transfer desk will issue a paper BP given the illegal conenction.
But if OP receives mobile OP before arriving in HKG but misses the connection in HKG, is his/her flight coupon considered used, i.e., will OP have a problem getting on another flight?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I would suggest OP just take the 9:00 AM flight ... it's only 50 more min. and as Sapphire you have lounge access anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.