Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CXSecrets rumour: Cape Town (CPT) and Canberra (CBR) to be added

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CXSecrets rumour: Cape Town (CPT) and Canberra (CBR) to be added

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I would like to see a CBR-HBA tag - that would be an innovative routing to pick up SYD spillover and tap into the booming Tasmanian tourist market, which is especially popular with Chinese looking for nature, art, and fresh food and wine experiences.

I'd be surprised if there's no government subsidy involved (or waiver of airport landing charges) since CBR is desperate to get international traffic.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Idd take whats on cxsecrets with a grain of salt. We dont know who they are, and it never had a very good track record. Some yes. Not all.

tha said, seperate flight to cpt? And cbr?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Isochronous
I would like to see a CBR-HBA tag - that would be an innovative routing to pick up SYD spillover and tap into the booming Tasmanian tourist market, which is especially popular with Chinese looking for nature, art, and fresh food and wine experiences.

I'd be surprised if there's no government subsidy involved (or waiver of airport landing charges) since CBR is desperate to get international traffic.
Is HBA able to take a A350 or A330? I didn't think the runway is long enough....
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Is HBA able to take a A350 or A330? I didn't think the runway is long enough....
HBA airport runway will extend and the construction will be completed by March this year.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Maybe CX's getting subsidies from CBR? I would assume SQ has, at least for the first few years。
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I'm surprised how many people I know from Canberra here in the UK. One did the SQ flight last xmas and said how great it was not to need to do the Sydney shuffle after travelling for so long. Another flew back this year with EK via Syd and said she'd look at the CBR option next time as it would save so much time for them. I know having to change for BNE that any direct option is far more preferable to having to transit via Syd (or Mel!). I'm guessing CX must have done their research before talking about this route.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Canberra? Wow. No tourist, no commercial, only government travels and very light on that. Maybe Cathay is banking on Canberra being the "second aiport" for Sydney? I did that once to avoid Sydney chaos (and also to visit Canberra). Drive is only 3 hours with good scenic along the way. Other than that, really do see any advantage for Canberra unless there's some political reason behind it. I know Singapore offers 4 weekly there, and that's even more of a reason Canberra is a tough sale for Cathay.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:18 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Cathay Pacific set to announce direct flights to Cape Town
https://sc.mp/2DrOdqR
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
Cathay Pacific set to announce direct flights to Cape Town
https://sc.mp/2DrOdqR
cxsecrets said cbr cfmed 2-3 days ago lol
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kaka

cxsecrets said cbr cfmed 2-3 days ago lol
If it's A350, i would be more than happy to drive down when SYD-HKG fully booked.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Drive safe it would be good to open up more sward space nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.