Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay vs Qatar J Product

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by hphreak
Just did back to back QR and CX in J. My thoughts below: ....
I don't agree with everything you said, but you provided an interesting comparison/analysis, thank you.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Did several sectors with QR late last year. Transferring in DOH is not as efficient because 3 out of 4 times, we used the bus gates, which can take as long as 20min from plane to terminal especially if you fly economy. So good luck if you have a short connection.

The food, both in J and Y, were all underwhelming. Not what I expected after reading several reviews.

In one of the sectors, we were just around 10 in the J cabin, they run out of soup for half of us.

When my companion asked for some food midflight, the FAs reply was very discouraging. Saying it will take this amount of time (more than 1hr) to serve because they will need to heat up the oven, then to prepare the food, etc. So much for their DoD.

it was only when, in one of the flights, the senior purser was of the same nationality as ours, did we get the best service.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
Did several sectors with QR late last year. Transferring in DOH is not as efficient because 3 out of 4 times, we used the bus gates, which can take as long as 20min from plane to terminal especially if you fly economy. So good luck if you have a short connection.

The food, both in J and Y, were all underwhelming. Not what I expected after reading several reviews.

In one of the sectors, we were just around 10 in the J cabin, they run out of soup for half of us.

When my companion asked for some food midflight, the FAs reply was very discouraging. Saying it will take this amount of time (more than 1hr) to serve because they will need to heat up the oven, then to prepare the food, etc. So much for their DoD.

it was only when, in one of the flights, the senior purser was of the same nationality as ours, did we get the best service.
i must say I have been quite lucky and never had an off crew like this on a cX and QR.

however whilst presentation QR is better I really dont find the taste of the food as good as many people here perceived. The worst dishes are Chinese dishes. Naturally safer to select middle eastern dishes.

the bus gate is really annoying and does happen a bit.

generally speaking if it is not because of the price, imo I wouldnt go out of my way to take QR
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Originally Posted by londonexpert

i must say I have been quite lucky and never had an off crew like this on a cX and QR.

however whilst presentation QR is better I really dont find the taste of the food as good as many people here perceived. The worst dishes are Chinese dishes. Naturally safer to select middle eastern dishes.

the bus gate is really annoying and does happen a bit.

generally speaking if it is not because of the price, imo I wouldnt go out of my way to take QR
Quite agree with this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:42 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Joining in on this fun thread, I'd like to give my take on QR J and CX J (longhaul). For the most part I will compare my experience on CX216 (MAN>HKG) and QR702 (JFK>DOH) due to their similar flight times. However I will also add in based on my experiences on my other flights with both airlines, to add into the objectivity of this comparison.

Business Lounges (at their home airports, for objectivity)
Cathay's The Pier Business is absolutely lovely, with Ilse Crawford's brilliantly homely and cozy design. I've consistently never had to wait for a shower here, which was great, and the shower attendants are seemingly becoming more and more friendly, as they seem to smile more than in the past. They don't ask a billion questions before your shower, which can be a good thing. Food is also quite good, especially with the noodle bar around, and having fresh juices and the tea house is an added plus. Additionally, CX's other flagship, The Wing, has seen better days, though it works well as a lounge, and never had to wait for a shower there either. Champagne is G.H. Mumm Cordon Rouge, which is decent in my opinion. Having access to Pier/Wing F is an definitely an added positive.

Qatar's Al Mourjan is behemoth, and architecturally awing. Some parts of the lounge are very impressive, particularly the water feature, and the various metal sculptures adorning the lounge. Though with its size, it does sometimes feel rather cold and too industrial, especially compared to The Pier. Often one would have to wait for a shower, which can range between 5 minutes to 30 (when you're unlucky). Shower attendants consistently ask you a billion questions when preparing your shower, which can be nice or not depending on your mood. Food is in my opinion not as nice, and food at the buffet at the restaurant at times seem dry and not too fresh. However, the dates, Arabic coffee, and all those Arabic desserts are a lovely local touch. Juices here don't seem fresh, but are definitely better than some lounges (MH, I'm looking at you). Champagne at the bar is usually whatever Champagne they serve on board these days. No access to the Al Safwa First Lounge as an OWE (the OW First Lounge is a joke).

Winner: CX

Seats and offerings on Board
CX216 operated by an A350-1000
These Porsche designed Zodiac reverse herringbones are very comfortable, and overall are an improvement (if not broken) from the previous seats. Added storage areas and an overall wider bed makes it very comfortable. The new IFE is great and very responsive, and there is a large selection of movies. Cabin design overall is very simple and sophisticated, doesn't scream luxury, but remains so in an understated way. The toilets are kept reasonably clean for the duration of the flight. The duvets are additionally very comfortable.

QR702 on a Qsuite equipped B777-300ER
Wow. The seats are very spacious and incredibly private. More than enough storage areas, and has an overall very good design. As someone with some degree of claustrophobia, the seats didn't feel claustrophobic or stuffy, even with the doors closed. The dark toned finishes in burgundy are very luxurious, and the whole cabin felt very elegant and luxurious without being kitsch or gaudy (unlike EK's finishes). The seats are rather hard and a bit narrow, but remains comfortable with the added pillows. The IFE is responsive and even more so expansive in selection than CX, and having an overhead air vent is a plus. I didn't quite like the narrow aisles though. Toilets are large on the 77Ws and are kept immaculately clean for the whole of the flight, and cleaned very frequently for the duration of the flight. The carpet like velvety blankets are very thick though remained rather comfortable.

Qatar Reverse Herringbone seats on A350s, A380s and 787s.
Cabin remains very elegant and luxurious, with the same colour scheme. The foyer area on the A350 and 787 and the open feeling of the cabin (without overhead bins in the centre) makes it very airy unlike CX's A350s. Storage is good and plentiful, whilst IFE is reasonably responsive (esp. on the A350, less so on the A380s and 787s). Similarly toilets are almost always immaculate. The snacks, fruits, and champagne left on the counter top in the foyer area (or the bar in the A380) adds to the ambiance and convenience. Seats a bit less private than CX, though wasn't quite a problem for me personally. That said, the IFE turning on itself and whenever a message pops up is obnoxious.

All that said, though QR's cabins and finishes are very luxurious and elegant, I do personally prefer CX's much more neutral cabin palette.

Winner: QR (the advantage is with Qsuite)

Food:
Cathay (CX216 has the new service)
Food was very good on board. There weren't any appetiser options, but the cold Tofu and Prawn dish was quickly brought out and was very fresh and light, a great start to the meal. For the mains, I had the chinese option of braised pork and rice, which was very good and flavourful, and as an added positive, the rice was fluffy. Sad to see there wasn't a choice of bread anymore, but I didn't mind it. The side salad was bland (no vinaigrette anymore). Dessert was light and good as well. Breakfast had similarly flavourful food, and everything felt and tasted great. The meal isn't as customisable as on QR, but the food was prepared very well. Champagne was Piper Hiedsieck Cuve Brut NV, which wasn't very nice, so I passed.

Cathay regional/old service (also on CX216 before the new service)
Food felt less fresh than the new service. Appetiser was a decent Salmon Gravlax, followed by a rice and pork dish served poorly presented on the casserole dish. It wasn't quite as flavourful but was edible nevertheless. Dessert was a light trifle. The food in the new service felt fresher than this one, though having an option of bread and having the vinaigrette is great. At this time Billecart was still served as champagne, which I really liked for a NV. Additionally, food in regional J can range from being very bad (esp on the evening shorter sectors), to being rather decent (the longer regional breakfasts are consistently pretty good in my experiences), though the (western) food on KA is often awful.

Qatar Airways (QR702)
Dine on demand was available as always, and was quite helpful. For supper, I started with a Lobster Macaroni Cheese with rockets, which was a true mess. It was dry as can be and very fishy. Continued with a Grilled Salmon which was reasonably good for airplane food. Asked not to have the bread basket, but it appeared on my table anyhow. Dessert was a warm date and fig sticky toffee pudding which was delicious. Drink options were aplenty, and the Lemon Mint and So Jenny drinks were very good. Champagne on offer then was a Pommery Brut Royal NV (which I felt was even worse than CX's Piper) and a Drappier Ros de Saigne NV, which was far better than the Pommery (QR wins in terms of selection). Felt rather hungry mid-flight and asked for the afternoon tea set, which was very good. The scones and sandwiches were fresh and light (had this again on a later flight, but the sandwiches tasted very heavy and uninspiring, not even any scones too!). For breakfast, I ordered an Eggs Benedict which was horrible. The poached eggs were fully cooked, and was served with a solid hollandaise sauce. Definitely a reheating issue making it overcooked, which I find is consistently the problem with food on QR. Bread basket appeared again (despite again asking not to have it), and the pastries didn't taste very fresh. On other flights, food was similarly overheated, but the soup, cold options and the desserts are usually very good, though the main courses I'd say are weak points.

Winner: CX new service (a lot simpler and fresher) > QR > CX old service

Service:
Cathay
Overall, the crew on CX in my experience are more open to making jokes and just making everything seem a lot more up lifting, particularly during meal service. The service on much of my flights is decent, though sometimes the crew can be very indifferent. With the new service in particular, they seem stressed and rather rushed and I find it less so to be the case being addressed by name. With the old service, they seem more relaxed and more attentive. In the past, on red-eyes, water bottles will be replenished when finished, but I find it to be rarely the case these days.

Qatar
Service varies greatly. Service actually feels first class with a great crew, but otherwise feels very normal with an average crew. Typically, QR crew aren't as cheery as CX crew (when they are cheery), but they are often very softly spoken and service feels a lot more refined, and personalised during the interactions. I've had very attentive crews, who clear plates quickly, and replenish or top up drinks. On QR702, even in the Qsuite, the crew noticed my water drinking patterns (I get dehydrated very quickly inflight), and took away my empty bottle and even left two bottles of water for me later in the flight.

Winner: QR

Overall winner: Cathay. Personally, I say Cathay has the better product (when having the new service). I don't quite like the overheated food on QR as much, and I really dislike transiting in Doha. Qatar's cabin is luxurious and elegant and service a lot more refined, but I feel more comfortable flying on Cathay, as I feel the food (with the new service) is better than QR, and personally I just like flying through HKG as opposed to DOH. I often travel alone, and I don't feel a need for a door in my seat. Despite Qatar's amazing Qsuite, the novelty does wear off after a while. Finally, the transfer point personally, is the deal maker/breaker. QR's transfer points are too centralised and requires very long walks unlike HKG. Add to that the nice CX lounges, and we have a winner.
Non Compos Mentis likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Hi all, sorry to bring back this old thread (it does have some FANTASTIC information!) because I've got an option to fly either CX or QR in about 6 weeks from now. Here are my options:
KTM-HKG-YYZ (CX J, on A330 and then A350-1000) with 5 hours at HKG; OR I can do CMB-DOH-USA (can use JFK, DFW, MIA, or ORD flights, I think all would have the QR suite). Should have 2-5 hours at DOH.
Q1: I'm OW Emerald, so could use the CX First Class Lounge (if they're open?) and only the regular DOH J QR lounge. How do the CX F vs. QR J lounges compare? I have been to the QR lounge and was impressed.
Q2: How is post-pandemic inflight F&B compare in J on these two?
Thanks for any info!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Did another trip with QR 2 months ago on J. Boarding in DOH was always a chaos. And it's always bus gates. Can't even get into the lounge in my return flight due to over capacity. What a shame.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hi all, sorry to bring back this old thread (it does have some FANTASTIC information!) because I've got an option to fly either CX or QR in about 6 weeks from now. Here are my options:
KTM-HKG-YYZ (CX J, on A330 and then A350-1000) with 5 hours at HKG; OR I can do CMB-DOH-USA (can use JFK, DFW, MIA, or ORD flights, I think all would have the QR suite). Should have 2-5 hours at DOH.
Q1: I'm OW Emerald, so could use the CX First Class Lounge (if they're open?) and only the regular DOH J QR lounge. How do the CX F vs. QR J lounges compare? I have been to the QR lounge and was impressed.
Q2: How is post-pandemic inflight F&B compare in J on these two?
Thanks for any info!
These look like quite different itin.
I have flown both QR and CX during pandemic.

Q1. As a transit pax, you will be confined to the Pier lounge. As CX has not restarted F (will soon on one LHR flight), there was no F section. Apparently they opened a section for OWE, but that will be subpar compared to AM in Doha. AM was quite busy, but QR is opening a few more lounges.

Q2: Both airlines are back to normal. CX improved J food service compared to 2019. But their wines are still terrible. In comparison, just had a Chateau Batailley 2015 on QR J. A Qsuite is NEVER guaranteed, but it is superior to a CX J seat. I also find the solo seats on A380/350 and 777 a tad better on QR and great TV.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
My understanding is the lounge-in-lounge setup at the Pier is limited to DMs only and not OWE. Whether The Pier J eclipses the lounges in DOH is a separate debatable question.

CX F&B - it's just to keep you from starving. Not much more. To be honest apart from the occasional steaks I feel like they serve the same food just in different containers across J/W/Y. In particular, it's absolutely pathetic that one is by default denied basic items like pastries, and (their teeny tiny cubed bowl of) fruit for breakfast on long haul flights if you decide to go with the Chinese main course. Etc etc.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by boybi
Did another trip with QR 2 months ago on J. Boarding in DOH was always a chaos. And it's always bus gates. Can't even get into the lounge in my return flight due to over capacity. What a shame.
The Al-Mourjan North opened quite recently, so crowding is less of an issue now. Bus gate boarding still in shambles though.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Hyatt
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
My understanding is the lounge-in-lounge setup at the Pier is limited to DMs only and not OWE. Whether The Pier J eclipses the lounges in DOH is a separate debatable question..
Do you have anymore insight into what this lounge-in-lounge setup at the Pier is like? Is there an a-la-carte dining area?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by G-CIVC

CX F&B - it's just to keep you from starving. Not much more. To be honest apart from the occasional steaks I feel like they serve the same food just in different containers across J/W/Y. In particular, it's absolutely pathetic that one is by default denied basic items like pastries, and (their teeny tiny cubed bowl of) fruit for breakfast on long haul flights if you decide to go with the Chinese main course. Etc etc.
I also realised on red eye flights they put the same 2-3 items as both the main course option and any time /snack menu so you get the illusion of a large menu but there are several repeated options lol.clever trick CX
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by turtle777
Do you have anymore insight into what this lounge-in-lounge setup at the Pier is like? Is there an a-la-carte dining area?
There are some drinks in the area and waiters to take food orders and deliver. Or you can just walk out of the DM area and go get your ownand bring it back. The main benefit is simply having an area which is less crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.