Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on luggage for Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles
Carry-on luggage for Cathay Pacific

I am flying in a week from SFO to Cebu change plane in Hong Kong, does anyone here know if they weigh your carry on at the check-in counter and at the gate? I am flying economy and aware of the allowance. Just want to make sure how strict they are on the weight. Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have never seen them measure or weigh at a gate. Not even sure they could. Not at three airports, anyway.
If you get past at SFO there won't be anyone in HKG measuring and weighing things. Transit security won't care and at the gate in HKG it's doubtful.
I've never flown economy but I have seen the lines in YYZ, BKK and HKG and that did not seem to be a feature or concern.
Simplest thing is to have whoever takes you to SFO to hold your bigger bag while you check in and then go through security with it having been out of sight.
Or, comply with the rules, there's an idea.
iswok likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:25 pm

I have never seen CX personnel at the gate (or at the check-in counter) bother to stop anyone from boarding, due to excess check-in luggage.
iswok likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:43 pm

I have never once been checked at the gate, then again i dont take the p*** with what i bring onboard.

Why are there so many carry on baggage questions on here recently?
iswok likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you, ricktoronto. I completely agree with you on just complying with the rules. Just wanted to make sure because I was debating on bringing a small rolling suitcase since I have an 8-hour lay-over in HK but the luggage weighs 8lbs already and I don't think I can fill up with just 7 more lbs. I guess it will be a duffle bag. Thanks again.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infinitium
I have never seen CX personnel at the gate (or at the check-in counter) bother to stop anyone from boarding, due to excess check-in luggage.
Thank you, infinitium!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.