Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Onward connection from CX to AA to be hit by new weight restrictions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

This is a cross-post. But effectively I think it will affect people coming in from Asia on any flight and connecting with AA.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/021212/airli...baggage_1.html

So leave your woks and frying pans at home. AA will charge you irrespective if CX permits your luggage over 50lbs! Basically there is no way to avoid this as you have to take your bags out and recheck them after customs at international gateways where an AA agent will advise you that you will be affected.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Why do you think so? AA has not changed the international baggage allowance, and surely a CX/AA connection is on an international ticket? It does affect those using a separate domestic US ticket from the gateway, but that isn't very common, is it? It isn't the CX/AA connection that is affected, but AA originating baggage that is not international.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:22 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
This is not accurate GB - as #6 points out, it is strictly international. I had an EXTENSIVE discussion on this last week on a GRU-MIA-LAX itinerary and was told that if you have ANY international segments in your itinerary you will be spared the limit even on solely domestic sectors.

In any case, Int. limits are sage for now.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 9:26 pm

Just today I flew SIN-HKG-LAX on CX, then transferred to AA for the final leg (LAX-DFW). I had a 58 pound bag and was not charged for excess weight by AA.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
The press release was abundantly clear. The new weight restrictions apply to domestic flights only.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes it's domestic. Isn't HKG-LAX-DFW. Yes it's international on CX. But isn't LAX-DFW domestic?

I guess we can argue till the cows come home. But I am sure that AA will apply that rule on the LAX-DFW sector for example, as it is a domestic flight.

We shall see....at least you have been warned.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 1:21 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
I think it depends on your check-in agent.

If you encounter under-knowledged agents, they will insist that it's a "domestic flight" and restriction will be enforced.

If you encounter professional and properly trained agents, it should be clear to them that a connecting flight (even domestic sector) from an international flight will be given the international baggage allowances.

BUT, if your connecting domestic flight falls on the different date from the date of an international arrival, this might be subject to domestic allowances. (I'm not so sure)

So if you are unlucky, speak to Station manager.

[This message has been edited by fakecd (edited 12-13-2002).]
Old Dec 13, 2002, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fakecd:
...So if you are unlucky, speak to Station manager.

[This message has been edited by fakecd (edited 12-13-2002).]
</font>

Typical, American response: "He's busy".
Old Dec 13, 2002, 4:31 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:

Typical, American response: "He's busy".
</font>
Typical, Asian response:

"Well, you don't know what you are doing, so I need to speak to your boss who knows more than you. I've got time to wait for him, but got no time to waste with you. You go away andserve that dork over there, I'm sure he knows just as little as you"

Make sure you speak in professional (?) manner.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
Yes it's domestic. Isn't HKG-LAX-DFW. Yes it's international on CX. But isn't LAX-DFW domestic? </font>
Under the Warsaw Convention, a journey is considered to be international in its entirety if any part of the unbroken journey involves an international segment, regardless of the carriers involved.

It isn't a question of interpretation. It is the law.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
Yes it's domestic. Isn't HKG-LAX-DFW. Yes it's international on CX. But isn't LAX-DFW domestic?

I guess we can argue till the cows come home. But I am sure that AA will apply that rule on the LAX-DFW sector for example, as it is a domestic flight.

We shall see....at least you have been warned.
</font>
Just give it up GB - your reading was wrong - now get over it! As I already said elsewhere, the AA gang at GIG, the FL lounge at MIA, the T3 AA club at LAX and LAS ALL UNDERSTOOD CLEARLY last week - do you really think they just said this to suck me in so they can get me next time?!
Old Dec 14, 2002, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am not arguing the fact that I am correct on this matter. Hardly the case. I am simply stating the fact that people coming in from Asia might be faced with agents who don't know the rules and may impose such surcharges to the unknowing traveller. Such situations will arise when one stops over in a city while carrying the same amount of luggage from say, HKG. Only when that person continues travel will he be subjected to such regulations, which is not very standarised.

And to think about it.... AA usually gives at least 6 months notice on such changes. Why the sudden change with X'mas around the corner. Surly they know that not many people will know of this regulation and that people will be travelling with bags full of gifts.

Old Dec 14, 2002, 9:24 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
In reality, this is all academic anyway. In the past when I've had to connect to an onward AA domestic flight coming from a CX inbound, the "rechecking in" of luggage isn't even really that. Basically, after Customs inspection, you just drop your bags to a conveyor belt. No weigh-in actually takes place. If there's any AA personnel at all, they're there to facilitate (they're not even really AA employees, just contractors) and are certainly in no position to take payments for excess weight. This has been my experience at LAX and SFO.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 9:52 am
In Memoriam

Such situations will arise when one stops over in a city while carrying the same amount of luggage from say, HKG. Only when that person continues travel will he be subjected to such regulations, which is not very standarised.

</font>
To me this is the key point - I OFTEN will travel from say HKG to LAX, spend 2 days there and continue on to ORD. This is where the problem will kick in and I have (shock of shock) not gotten a straight answer from AA on this subject.

GB also makes a fascinating point on the suspect timing of this move - even if this is the plan, there is no reason to engage it prior to the holiday other than to trap unsuspecting and unsophisticated travelers - this is rather a sad move for AA I think - why not wait until January if you were intent on this strategy.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Well, if one is AAPlat originating on an overseas oneworld flight in Y, at the US gateway, one can use the Admirals Club when continuing onward into the US even though on strictly NAmerican flights, one would not be permitted to use the Club. I would expect this to be analogous to being able to continue onto your US domestic flight with the same baggage weight as you started on your international segment. As others have noted, when international connecting travel is involved, the international rules take precidence over the domestic ones. It is only common sense, otherwise AA would require people to repack their bags after clearing customs/INS to remove the extra weight that was permitted on their flight into the US, but no longer permitted on their domestic leg.

One would hope and expect common sense to prevail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.