Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Using AsiaMiles to Upgrade BA WT+ $20 tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Sorry to intrude on your forum. I'm a long time lurker but mostly on the CO forum. I was lucky to get a pair of the $20 BA tickets to go from SFO-Rome in February. It looks like from what I read in the BA forum that I would not be able to upgrade using BA miles. However, there was a mention of possibly using AsiaMiles to upgrade.

I don't have an AsiaMiles account but have a fair amount of starwood points that I think I can transfer over. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a fee to join AsiaMiles if I live in the US
2. What's the difference between AsiaMiles and Marco Polo?
3. How many Asiamiles points/miles do I need to upgrade from SFO-LHR?
4. Are the upgrades one way or roundtrip?
5. Once I open a AsiaMile account and transfer the requisite number of miles/points, who do I call to get the upgrade? The asiamiles rep or BA?
6. Is there any way I can check now whether there are upgrade seats available before I do the irreversible starwood transfer? I hate to have them orphan there if I can't even upgrade.

Thank you all!!
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:32 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
1. No fee to join.
2. Asia Miles is the mileage earning program for CX and DragonAir as well as some partners. Marco Polo is CX's loyalty program. You have to join Marco Polo if you want your traveled miles to count towards elite status.. It costs $50 to join Marco Polo.

I am not very active in Asiamiles, so I will let others answer the rest of the questions. I apologize, but I don't want to give any misinformation by accident.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
I don't know how you obtained your $20 ticket, but the type of ticket you hold will determine whether or not you can actually use miles to upgrade.

For example, using Asiamiles, you can redeem upgrade for any fare classes which are also entitled to points accural. However, I do not think that your ticket meets that criteria. Bottom line is, if you can't even use BA's miles to upgrade, it might be similar for Asiamiles.

Details can be found on http://www.asiamiles.com/am/1,,83101_82763_eng,00.html

The award threshold for Asiamiles go by actual distance of travel. You can redeem one way upgrade only on CX and MU flights, but you can redeem roundtrip upgrade on BA too.

I don't think you can check availability on the website for BA flights.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:03 pm

Just to add what TWAforever and fakecd said ...

I would suggest that you first call BA and check what subclass you are booked under for the BA ticket. If it's one of Y/B/C/D/H/K/L/M/T/W, then you will probably be able to upgrade. These subclasses are supposed to earn miles for AsiaMiles.

For seat availablity and how many miles you would need, call AsiaMiles services center. I don't konw where you are located but it's listed on asiamiles.com (contact us).

It's AsiaMiles that processes the upgrade. Joining Marco Polo Club is not at all necessary for processing upgrades with miles.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
In theory, you can upgrade using Asiamiles.

Yes, you may check upgrade availability with BA before you have the required miles. ASIAMILES rep will do that for you. You may call and make the booking first. But you must advise the Asiamiles rep that you intend to transfer miles from STARWOOD. However you MUST have an ASIAMILES account first!

Once that reservation is confirmed, ASIAMILES will ask that you FAX them a copy of your ticket so that they may VERIFY certain criteria. ie class booked, fabre basis and they will also CHECK FARE PAID! They may question the validity of the fare and will cross-refer the ticket with BA if they are required to do so.

Then 2 weeks prior to your travel, they will courier a MCO voucher which you will then attach to your original BA ticket and just show up at check-in. Asiamiles will in the meantime, CANCEL your original economy class booking. If not, BA will see a dupe.

Now BA may question the validity of the ticket against the upgrade ... and basically once your proof of the original fare / booking is gone, well, anything can happen. Remember your fare / reservation is not really bona fide.

It's up to you. Best may be for you to sit in coach for all the hassle you're going through. However, on the bright side, you can start accruing BA miles to ASIAMILES. For future BA, and CX ticket upgrades.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 12-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 12-07-2002).]
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:28 am

[This message has been edited by FFlyer (edited 12-07-2002).]
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:32 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
In theory, you can upgrade using Asiamiles.

Yes, you may check upgrade availability with BA before you have the required miles. ASIAMILES rep will do that for you. You may call and make the booking first. But you must advise the Asiamiles rep that you intend to transfer miles from STARWOOD. However you MUST have an ASIAMILES account first!

Once that reservation is confirmed, ASIAMILES will ask that you FAX them a copy of your ticket so that they may VERIFY certain criteria. ie class booked, fabre basis and they will also CHECK FARE PAID! They may question the validity of the fare and will cross-refer the ticket with BA if they are required to do so.

Then 2 weeks prior to your travel, they will courier a MCO voucher which you will then attach to your original BA ticket and just show up at check-in. Asiamiles will in the meantime, CANCEL your original economy class booking.

Now BA may question the validity of the ticket against the upgrade ... and basically once your proof of the original fare is gone, well, you're at BA's mercy after that.

It's up to you. Best may be for you to sit in coach. After all, there's still much talk as to what your chances of being bumped off the flights are when in the hands of BA reps in London!

</font>

Thanks all, especially Guy Betsy. I guess I have to think seriously about whether this is worth the risk. The tickets are booked in T class, which normally accrues mileage on BA, but there's been some discussion about how BA may code these particular tickets as non-mileage earning since they were part of the fare glitch that happened the day after thanksgiving. Wonder how closely Cathay scrutinizes the actual fare -- I thought I heard discussion that AsiaMiles might be changed so that one could even upgrade on award tickets.

Regarding Marco Polo, is that a separate program that I can sign up for if I want my miles to accrue status for Cathay? Is the $50 a one-time sign up fee or annual?

I'm also thinking of doing a biz class RTW on OneWorld mid-2003, and wondering whether I should try to put all those miles on one OneWorld carrier. Thinking about AsiaMile (or Marco Polo?).I don't have any miles on AA right now, even though I'm based in US

[This message has been edited by COFly (edited 12-07-2002).]

Old Dec 7, 2002, 11:25 am

Marco Polo requires 50USD every year for renewal unless you fly 4 segments on CX. The only benefit I see in this program is a toll free reservation 24/24 7/7 and a better recognition.

If you fly a lot on CX, I think you will be invited to join for free.

Knowing how AsiaMiles/MPC does the upgrade, I think I know how to work the system for you but I really should not be elaborating here.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Chiangi:
Marco Polo requires 50USD every year for renewal unless you fly 4 segments on CX. The only benefit I see in this program is a toll free reservation 24/24 7/7 and a better recognition.

If you fly a lot on CX, I think you will be invited to join for free.

Knowing how AsiaMiles/MPC does the upgrade, I think I know how to work the system for you but I really should not be elaborating here.
</font>
Hi Chiangi,
Thanks for your post.
I would love to hear your thoughts -- could you please e-mail me offline at [email protected] about how to upgrade?

I think I'm beginning to understand. So I can join EITHER Asiamiles or Marco Polo -- Asiamiles has no charge but I cannot gain status on Cathay. Is that correct?

Thanks !!!
Old Dec 7, 2002, 4:13 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Cofly:

There isn't any secret recipe for upgrades, so don't indulge yourself an early sweet thoughts. All he means (and rest of us), is that by being a MPC (Marco Polo club) member, you have the first priorities over rest of the pax for OPERATION upgrades, which means when the flight is full. There's no gurantee complimentary upgrades on CX as far as I know.

But of course, these "OP" upgrades have no set rules. Flyers on this board have found that priority of processing go by the following unofficial order.

MPC Invitation
MPC Diamond
OW Emerald
MPC Gold
MPC Silver
OW Sapphire/Ruby
MPC Green (Entry level)
others

Some might disagree on some of the orders, but this MY understanding.

By the way, if you join MPC, you will automatically enrolled into Asiamiles. Asiamiles is for miles accural for awards, whereas MPC is miles accural towards elite status. If you fly at least 30k to qualify for Silver, I would recommend you to join. But if you merely end up with Green, then you shouldn't bother, in my view.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 3:55 am

Well, I don't mean to offend anyone here. CX AsiaMiles uses a very antiquated method of issuing MCO (miscellaneous charge order), a.k.a., upgrade coupon. I really hope they will do away with this and switch to sort of 'electronic' upgrades like UA or NH does.

You do have a way to work the system with this. I really do not want to propagate this myself as it really seems to me an 'illegal' thing.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 8:28 am

COfly

If you are US based, you might want to think about AA's program. Each program has its strengths and weaknesses. If you flight CX alot then Marco POlo may be right for you, but keep some things in mind.

Asia Miles/MPC has no mileage bonuses for elites. AA gives 100% bonus if you are PLT or EXP.

Also, Asiamiles/MPC uses a count/reset method for elite. This means that you need 30K to make silver, then your account resets to 0, then you need 60K MORE to make GOLD. This effectively means that from nothing you need 30K for Silver, 90K for GOLD, and 210K for Diamond. On AA you just need 25K/50K/100K.

Finally, AA's program has lifetime benefits:
1 million miles gets lifetime GOLD, 2 million miles gets lifetime PLT. These are not butt-in-seat miles but program miles, so all bonuses count, all transfers from hotels count, all credit crad purchases count toward this lifetime status.

I just want you to keep this in mind if you are deciding between AAdvantage and MPC.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
TWAForever, if you reread the original message, COFLY wanted to know if he could upgrade BA WT+ using Asiamiles.

Currently, that is the ONLY programme that will allow him to upgrade on almost any BA fare on any route.

AA does not allow him to accrue mileage on AA transatlantic, nor redeem upgrade miles. So if he wants to upgrade on future elcheapo fares on CX and BA, ASIAMILES is his only option.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Chiangi:
Marco Polo requires 50USD every year for renewal unless you fly 4 segments on CX.

</font>
are you sure?
i have relatives who are MPO green for years, and not flying CX.
but wasnt asked to pay $50
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:23 am

GuyBetsy I know that AA does not help for the BA upgarde. I was responding to COfly in an intermediate post in the thread. This was his quote in I think his 3rd post in the thread.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by COFly:

I'm also thinking of doing a biz class RTW on OneWorld mid-2003, and wondering whether I should try to put all those miles on one OneWorld carrier. Thinking about AsiaMile (or Marco Polo?).I don't have any miles on AA right now, even though I'm based in US

</font>

If he is planning a RTW in J, and he is debating AsiaMiles and AA, then I just wanted him to know some of the differences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.