Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX892 HKG to SFO, new A350, seat 19A or 20K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, UA PP, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade

I usually fly at a different time of the day on this route on the Boeing plane on my preferred 23k seat but for a variety of reasons, I will be on flight with the A350 this time. Due to late booking the only seats available for me to pick at this point are 19A which is just in front of the galley or 20K which is just behind the rest room in the smaller section. Neither seems ideal but which would you take?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
For the given options, I will take 19A.

The mini compartment on A350 is not preferred as compared with 77H
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
For the given options, I will take 19A.

The mini compartment on A350 is not preferred as compared with 77H
Could you elaborate on this? I haven't had chances to take J on 35G.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Folks, definitely have a search around. To the OP, don't search for SFO or your flight #...instead search for:

"Mini cabin"
"Best business class"

I recommend advanced search.

obviously throw out mini cabin mentions of the 77H, but mini-cabin discussions of the 77G, 33K, 33E, 33G (retired) and obviously 35G will be relevant. They all have a very similar cabin vibe and mini-cabin feel. Directly behind doors 2, in front of PEY or Y with no galley between.

Etc.

I don't know if we keep threads about this in the Wiki but know this forum is littered with these discussions. I wish FT had a better search function...

I know we've had some lively discussions about 35G mini cabin biz class in just the last few months.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Could you elaborate on this? I haven't had chances to take J on 35G.
Me too.... I haven't had the chance to ride on a 35G but based on the feedback,
  1. The mini cabin tends to be 'forgotten' by FA, their attention seem to be to the front
  2. PEY and even Y passengers tend to visit the restroom in this mini cabin
  3. Not much privacy
  4. Usually these seats are given to upgrades, IDs.... in short, 2nd class J passengers

*Update* Changed of compartment to cabin and one last important point, they easily run out of choices of meals

Last edited by JohnGreat; Nov 8, 2017 at 5:19 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I'm on mobile so can't search to find the threads I've posted on (I know they're out there!!), but long story short John Great is on the right idea.

I will say as a DM, I don't have service problems in the back. And the variance back there is highest. I've had my best flights on the rear mini cabin but also my worst. Best is when it's peaceful, and the pax in back don't come through the cabin. In this scenario the mini-cabin wins, especially if you're DM or don't care about last meal choice.

I've only had 10-15 flights on 35G, but this advice comes from countless other flights on 33K, 33E, 77G and 33G, all which have a nearly identical rear mini-cabin dynamic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.