Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Downgrade due to equipment swap on SFO-HKG tonight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver

I have an AS award for sfo-hkg tonight in F. Looks like an equipment swap to a non-F config this morning, it still showed F yesterday. On hold with CX still.

What kind of downgrade comp should I ask for? There’s space on the LAX flights tonight, should I ask for that instead?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Called CX who refused to offer downgrade compensation.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
Why shoukd CX offer compensation, you are on a ticket issued by AS - call them!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AussieDreaming
Why shoukd CX offer compensation, you are on a ticket issued by AS - call them!
Spoke to AS who says they can’t do anything about it.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I would ask for the miles difference of F vs J from AS
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I would ask for the miles difference of F vs J from AS
I’ll have to HUACA with them. I’m on a VX flight now.

I’d rather get rerouted on tonight’s LAX flight but CX isn’t releasing any awards to partners even though it’s F3.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I’ll have to HUACA with them. I’m on a VX flight now.

I’d rather get rerouted on tonight’s LAX flight but CX isn’t releasing any awards to partners even though it’s F3.
Do you have an onward intra-Asia flight in F? That might be why they're reluctant to refund the difference.

You might get more help if this thread is in the AS forum, since that's the airline you have to deal with
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Do you have an onward intra-Asia flight in F? That might be why they're reluctant to refund the difference.

You might get more help if this thread is in the AS forum, since that's the airline you have to deal with
Onward is HKG-AKL in J.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Got a voicemail from Cathay offering $390. I assume she meant USD.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
On day of travel, CX should or definitely could take control of the ticket and reroute you through LAX, the issue will be the SFO-LAX segment. If CX is rerouting you, they'll probably be putting you on an AA flight. Alternatively, ask CX to release an award seat in F to AS for the LA flight and have AS modify your reservation. That is unless you are willing to accept the offer CX made.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As departure is under 24 hours, the problem is no longer with AS unless you want to get miles back but even then, it would be handled after travel. This is CX's problem.

It's a bit late now but if it was earlier during the day, time permitting, I would have showed up at SFO for their 1330 departure not to get on that flight but talk to CX airport staff about reroute.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 28, 2017 at 2:30 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
As departure is under 24 hours, the problem is no longer with AS unless you want to get miles back but even then, it would be handled after travel. This is CX's problem.

It's a bit late now but if it was earlier during the day, time permitting, I would have showed up at SFO for their 1330 departure not to get on that flight but talk to CX airport staff about reroute.
I did exactly that. Check in staff refused to reroute through LAX. I even offered to make my own way down there.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Member

That’s pretty bad that CX wasn’t willing to do that. So the only option that gave you was the downgrade? I assume you escalated up to the station manager.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
That’s pretty bad that CX wasn’t willing to do that. So the only option that gave you was the downgrade? I assume you escalated up to the station manager.
It's much less expensive to offer compensation than routing him to AA and CX combo, which requires CX to reissue the ticket stock that involves paying AA same day flight down to HKG. The fact that it is a AS mileage ticket makes OP a very little to none leverage in terms of IRROPs or equipment change.

OP, are you still AA PLT or CX Silver?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
It's much less expensive to offer compensation than routing him to AA and CX combo, which requires CX to reissue the ticket stock that involves paying AA same day flight down to HKG. The fact that it is a AS mileage ticket makes OP a very little to none leverage in terms of IRROPs or equipment change.

OP, are you still AA PLT or CX Silver?
That wasn't what OP or I are referring to.

OP was willing to get himself to LAX and just needed CX to change CX SFO-HKG to CX LAX-HKG; wasn't going to cost CX anything. There are two LAX-HKG flights tonight and they are still selling F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.