FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Downgrade due to equipment swap on SFO-HKG tonight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1874514-downgrade-due-equipment-swap-sfo-hkg-tonight.html)

txflyer77 Oct 28, 2017 9:40 am

Downgrade due to equipment swap on SFO-HKG tonight

I have an AS award for sfo-hkg tonight in F. Looks like an equipment swap to a non-F config this morning, it still showed F yesterday. On hold with CX still.

What kind of downgrade comp should I ask for? There’s space on the LAX flights tonight, should I ask for that instead?

txflyer77 Oct 28, 2017 9:55 am

Called CX who refused to offer downgrade compensation.

AussieDreaming Oct 28, 2017 10:21 am

Why shoukd CX offer compensation, you are on a ticket issued by AS - call them!

txflyer77 Oct 28, 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by AussieDreaming (Post 28987586)
Why shoukd CX offer compensation, you are on a ticket issued by AS - call them!

Spoke to AS who says they can’t do anything about it.

TravelwhileyouEat Oct 28, 2017 10:47 am

I would ask for the miles difference of F vs J from AS

txflyer77 Oct 28, 2017 10:53 am

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat (Post 28987655)
I would ask for the miles difference of F vs J from AS

I’ll have to HUACA with them. I’m on a VX flight now.

I’d rather get rerouted on tonight’s LAX flight but CX isn’t releasing any awards to partners even though it’s F3.

SilverChris Oct 28, 2017 11:37 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77 (Post 28987676)
I’ll have to HUACA with them. I’m on a VX flight now.

I’d rather get rerouted on tonight’s LAX flight but CX isn’t releasing any awards to partners even though it’s F3.

Do you have an onward intra-Asia flight in F? That might be why they're reluctant to refund the difference.

You might get more help if this thread is in the AS forum, since that's the airline you have to deal with :)

txflyer77 Oct 28, 2017 11:40 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris (Post 28987786)
Do you have an onward intra-Asia flight in F? That might be why they're reluctant to refund the difference.

You might get more help if this thread is in the AS forum, since that's the airline you have to deal with :)

Onward is HKG-AKL in J.

txflyer77 Oct 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Got a voicemail from Cathay offering $390. I assume she meant USD.

Phoenixtinct Oct 28, 2017 1:30 pm

On day of travel, CX should or definitely could take control of the ticket and reroute you through LAX, the issue will be the SFO-LAX segment. If CX is rerouting you, they'll probably be putting you on an AA flight. Alternatively, ask CX to release an award seat in F to AS for the LA flight and have AS modify your reservation. That is unless you are willing to accept the offer CX made.

seawolf Oct 28, 2017 2:22 pm

As departure is under 24 hours, the problem is no longer with AS unless you want to get miles back but even then, it would be handled after travel. This is CX's problem.

It's a bit late now but if it was earlier during the day, time permitting, I would have showed up at SFO for their 1330 departure not to get on that flight but talk to CX airport staff about reroute.

txflyer77 Oct 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 28988224)
As departure is under 24 hours, the problem is no longer with AS unless you want to get miles back but even then, it would be handled after travel. This is CX's problem.

It's a bit late now but if it was earlier during the day, time permitting, I would have showed up at SFO for their 1330 departure not to get on that flight but talk to CX airport staff about reroute.

I did exactly that. Check in staff refused to reroute through LAX. I even offered to make my own way down there.

seawolf Oct 28, 2017 3:17 pm

That’s pretty bad that CX wasn’t willing to do that. So the only option that gave you was the downgrade? I assume you escalated up to the station manager.

PaulInTheSky Oct 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 28988361)
That’s pretty bad that CX wasn’t willing to do that. So the only option that gave you was the downgrade? I assume you escalated up to the station manager.

It's much less expensive to offer compensation than routing him to AA and CX combo, which requires CX to reissue the ticket stock that involves paying AA same day flight down to HKG. The fact that it is a AS mileage ticket makes OP a very little to none leverage in terms of IRROPs or equipment change.

OP, are you still AA PLT or CX Silver?

seawolf Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky (Post 28988439)
It's much less expensive to offer compensation than routing him to AA and CX combo, which requires CX to reissue the ticket stock that involves paying AA same day flight down to HKG. The fact that it is a AS mileage ticket makes OP a very little to none leverage in terms of IRROPs or equipment change.

OP, are you still AA PLT or CX Silver?

That wasn't what OP or I are referring to.

OP was willing to get himself to LAX and just needed CX to change CX SFO-HKG to CX LAX-HKG; wasn't going to cost CX anything. There are two LAX-HKG flights tonight and they are still selling F.