Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What's difference between Asia Miles and Marco Polo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 1999, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

In preparation for my 100k trek in which I'm going for 4 - 100k bonus awards I'm trying to decide which airlines to get the bonus on. I'm a bit confused about the difference between the Asia Miles program and the Marco Polo club.

I looked at the Asia Miles web page and it looked like they were offering the 100k bonus. I also like the award structure with them as it looks like it's easy to get oneworld awards as well as Cathay Pacific awards. It also says there is no cost to join.

On the Cathay world site, the Marco Polo club says it costs $50 to join, but restricts access to some information to members only, so I couldn't get a good idea what I'm missing.

I'm in the US and doubt highly I'll be doing much Asia travel to take advantage of Cathay's network. What is the connection between Asia Miles and Cathay. And can I get the 100k bonus for flying 5 oneworld airlines?

Anyone know of any joining bonus' right now?

Old Nov 3, 1999, 8:33 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
To put it simply.. AsiaMiles is a Cathay scheme which awards miles only. There are no elite status levels. The asiamiles site is fairly straightforward, and has most information. The scheme started in February 99, prior to this CX operated 'Passages' with Malaysian and SQ, and didn't give miles for economy. So think of AsiaMiles as a slight improvement. If youa re based in Asia, you can have flight mileage credited to AsiaMIles, and also earn BA Exec Club (Global) status points.

Marco Polo is CX's elite scheme. There is a minimum CX milegae threshold in a short time frame to qualify, and from then on it is just like any other FFP - miles and elite status points.

To be honest, this inconsistency is a little confusing. They should really just operate the one scheme !

Hope this helps,but from what I have read above, if you are US based, join both AA and CP.

Old Nov 4, 1999, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, it clears up alot. Then it looks like CX asia miles will be the perfect program for me. I'm only looking to get the 100k bonus and then use the award later on. I don't travel to Asia alot on business, and then never on CX, so it would make sense not to worry about status.

Though of course, if there were any way 100k miles were to count towards oneworld status I'd do that. But I highly doubt it.

So for my 100k 4-airline bonus I'm going to use BA, AA, CP, and CX. BA for the Concorde award (110k), AA for some nice first class trip somewhere, CP for the same thing, and then CX for a trip to Asia next year.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 10:49 am

Has anything changed between the programs since the last post to this topic? I am seriously considering taking CX for my third program for the "Continents 100K" bonus. Since AAPlatinum should give me enough status, then is it really worthwhile for me to join Marco Polo and pay the fee instead of simply joining Asiamiles for free? I suppose that miles for claiming the awards are the same on both programs...
Old Jun 12, 2000, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
If you are going to fly a lot on CX, then MPO is worth pursuing. You are better off on CX as a GCP (Marco Polo Gold) than as an AA Plat. But with any other OW carrier, you are just like every other Sapphire.

Marco Polo Diamond used to be something quite extraordinary--but I gather it has been dumbed down with the introduction of OW.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 10:11 pm

Errr, CP is no longer a member of oneworld! And if you recall the posts from last fall's promotion ... you should avoid putting your bonus into QF and AY as their rewards are based on kilometres - unless they give you 160,000 points as I believe LA is.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
People who have no status on the Marco Polo Club, be warned that it is twice if not thrice as hard to get into an elite level if you're (sorry) a nobody at Cathay now.

In order to get Marco Polo Silver, you need to accrue 40,000 miles. Once reaching that goal, your loyalty miles will zero down to zero (but your award miles remain as they are in AsiaMiles). Then from there, you'd need another 60K to reach Gold (1w-Sapphire), which means you'd have reached 100K already. You'd get Exec Plat on AA for that. Then if you're crazy enough (like me sometimes), you'd try to get another 120K to attain Diamond. Which means, it is almost impossible , well, very hard for someone starting out to try and reach Diamond in their first year. You'd have to get at least 220,000 miles to get Diamond.

Perks are varied. Unless you live in Asia or travel to Asia alot, it's not really worth it. Economy class seats are guaranteed on any fare types within 72 hours of booking for Gold members, and both economy and business class seat guarantee for Diamond members within 24 hours of booking.

Diamond members can request for an upgrade to the next class based on avaialability or sometimes they just get upgraded.

But there are no tier bonuses.

I try and get Gold every year, as it's not really that hard to maintain 60K a year as I only like the guaranteed economy seat availability. But I'm going for Exec Plat on AA this year.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 8:31 pm

Wow, I didn't know that the mileage level clocks reset after each level....What other programs does this?
Old Jun 19, 2000, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
BA Executive Club in Asia and Uk I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.