Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Suspends DUS services

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster

CX Suspends DUS services

Just called CX to confirm DUS will be cancelled ("suspended") as of 25 March 2018...

This was the perfect route for me
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:24 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by gpia
Just called CX to confirm DUS will be cancelled ("suspended") as of 25 March 2018...

This was the perfect route for me
really sad to hear that myself. With AB gone soon + this, choices are really not great out of Berlin or any other non-Frankfurt german city.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:54 am

haha
CX cant make Dusseldorf work...
Not even Seattle- Delta Can
Not Munich- LH can
Not Moscow- Aeroflot can

HX should just buy CX- CX had the AKL market for years and now will have less capacity to AKL than HX....
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:09 am

CX Suspends DUS services

see reason for editing

Last edited by gear down; Sep 12, 2017 at 7:14 am Reason: everyone knows DUS suspended
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
CX needs some 787-8s to make these secondary routes work with the yield it needs. There will be higher yield demand for a nonstop to HKG from these kind of places, but A359 is just too big and CX doesn't have the cost base or geographic advantage to compete against the ME4 for the lower yield connecting traffic
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
CX needs some 787-8s to make these secondary routes work with the yield it needs. There will be higher yield demand for a nonstop to HKG from these kind of places, but A359 is just too big and CX doesn't have the cost base or geographic advantage to compete against the ME4 for the lower yield connecting traffic
or CX should learn to develop and grow markets

They are launching in Christchurch this year
zero advertising, no one knows who Cathay is here

CZ on the other hand has adverts everywhere, and did roadshows in the malls...
Plane Size is not why CX is losing.. Look at Auckland CX used to fly 10 times a week year round, now it has declined to daily
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Really a pity, but will fly this route as much as possible before termination.

The All Nippon/Lufthansa joint stronghold on German and Japanese corporate customers might have played a role.

However, DUS flyers will notice the Air Berlin downfall soon enough as Lufthansa and allies are able to change quasi monopoly prices once again. Let's see id other chance opens up for CX...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Too bad as DUS has been my base for the last 5 years. I was really happy when CX opened this route as I no longer needed to fight my way to Frankfurt Airport and back with Delayed Bahn. The pricing is also decent where I can often find DUS-HKG by EUR1-1.2k for PE (lower than that you only get Aeroflot). Even managed to get DUS-HKG-SGN by a crazy price of EUR800. I liked the A350 much better than 777 as well.

But my general impression is also that load on this route is light outside of peak days (Easter, Christmas, start/end of German school holidays), especially in J. I usually fly PE on this route and chances of being oped up were pretty high on those peak days. While on the other days, not even Y was full. My last flight in June back from HKG had only 3 other fellow passengers in PE. Without the feeder flights from AB, I can imagine that the situation can only get worse.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've deleted a number of off topic posts. Please stay in the topic of the Düsseldorf route.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:56 pm

It is agreed that termination is expected, but the exact date of termination is the key issue. Finally, the termination date is finalized, and mentioned by OP (25 MAR 2018).

I agree that closing of DUS is a pity as it is the cheapest business and PEY fare from Western Europe, (Compared to CDG, FRA, AMS, ZRH)

For ex-DUS travellers, I would expect a substitute for Oneworld will be a codeshare with BA via LHR. Codeshare with LH group is another feasible option but details are to be confirmed later.

Rail service from DUS to BRU, FRA, or AMS will work as well, I think the train segments is generally less than 2 hours, even though it can be more than 1 train segment to BRU, FRA, or AMS.

Although it is true that Liege or East Belgium can have Zaventem as a substitute, the proportion will not be much.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:22 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Cargo capacity https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post28753617

Cargo is in the dumps now but the planes last 20 years...?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
i am extremely heartbroken.. this is the perfect route for me to go home. perfect plane from passenger comfort point of view, perfect price for PEY and J for my piggy bank.

Just out of curiosity, was there other route that CX launched and then closed again so fast like DUS? If DUS proved to be a dump, why did CX launch it?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:35 am

It is a shame but if the route isn't working well enough its better that they send the aircraft somewhere else. This is not CZ who can support unprofitable routes for the sake of it.

It was always a strange one as FRA, AMS and now BRU are all nearby, even with Air Berlin connections.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by rienhart87
i am extremely heartbroken.. this is the perfect route for me to go home. perfect plane from passenger comfort point of view, perfect price for PEY and J for my piggy bank.

Just out of curiosity, was there other route that CX launched and then closed again so fast like DUS? If DUS proved to be a dump, why did CX launch it?

Doha
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by bart simpson
Doha
As well as Abu Dhabi and Jeddah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.