Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Economy vs BA Economy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Personally, I would prefer CX to NOT offer these services to OW EM in full B&W accordance with their training and recently it is increasingly the approach adopted by the crew (/pursers) as can be seen on CX secrets.
If they want to lose their last decent customers and only take china transitters paying min fare, go ahead with that.

those pursers are smart and see where the bread and butter come from.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cysyuen
How come? Not fair to CX DMs?
those muppets just dont want to work. Ive pressed the call bell once for water and one northern imports came to me shouting ive just served you.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
In fact, with BA's new Theoretical Seating module this happens quite frequently.
While I have personably experience a middle seat being empty (and that I once had a Club Europe seat with middle divider) I am yet to experience a whole row by myself!
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by kaka
If they want to lose their last decent customers and only take china transitters paying min fare, go ahead with that.

those pursers are smart and see where the bread and butter come from.
Originally Posted by kaka
those muppets just dont want to work. Ive pressed the call bell once for water and one northern imports came to me shouting ive just served you.
Maybe you should rethink your attitude, a little common courtesy/politeness in the form of 'please' and 'thank you' goes a long way. Calling people 'northern imports' is xenophobic and makes one seem extremely insecure.

Crew treat nice pax nicely regardless of where they are from because they're paid to do so. They're however not paid to bow down and put up with condescending, rude and self-entitled pax. If you think it's worth making a point by wasting food and beverages that crew don't give a damn about and most certainly doesn't take any hint then go on, keep it up. There's a big wide world outside the cabin, if you need to feel that important on a flight, just yell at the top of your lung 'I'm a diamond, give me respect'.

For your info, the handful of ISMs that cares enough about company's 'bread and butter' is leaving fast, most don't care because there's no salary increase or significant bonus or recognition of hard work even if the company makes money.

The manual is there in case of pax complain there's something to fall back on and to ensure consistency across the board. Giving pax false assumptions and expectation on previous flight then having them complain on subsequent flights because 'above and beyond' service is not repeated is not at all responsible.
nolounge and ashsong like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by bart simpson
Hmm I'm not sure if CX provides gin & tonic in economy class...
Spirits are available during pre-meal drinks service from trolley (A-cart service).

During tray distribution (Lunch/dinner/supper), according to standards and due to cart-top area limitation, only soft drinks/wines/juices are on cart-top. All other drinks on request, which if you're seated at the front, will be delivered when your crew has a chance to go back to the galley (aka once all trays are handed out).

At other times, all drinks are available on request. You are welcomed to press the call bell or come to the galley. But there's only 2/3 crew watching thee whole of YCL+PEY during long haul flight so expect wait. Anyways, walking is good for you, DVT and what not is bad.

Some senior is sticking to the '1 alcoholic drink per serving' rule given at their induction back in the day to better monitor and control pax alcohol consumption and to prevent rowdiness. Just ask after you've finished your drink if you want more.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jckl
Spirits are available during pre-meal drinks service from trolley (A-cart service).

During tray distribution (Lunch/dinner/supper), according to standards and due to cart-top area limitation, only soft drinks/wines/juices are on cart-top. All other drinks on request, which if you're seated at the front, will be delivered when your crew has a chance to go back to the galley (aka once all trays are handed out).

At other times, all drinks are available on request. You are welcomed to press the call bell or come to the galley. But there's only 2/3 crew watching thee whole of YCL+PEY during long haul flight so expect wait. Anyways, walking is good for you, DVT and what not is bad.

Some senior is sticking to the '1 alcoholic drink per serving' rule given at their induction back in the day to better monitor and control pax alcohol consumption and to prevent rowdiness. Just ask after you've finished your drink if you want more.
You are a legend! Thanks for such detailed info.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by frenzie01
Thanks very much for this.

If I need drink refills I would go to the galley. I like to stretch my legs. And also flying out of LGW not LHR.
But again the question is whether they would say no? Some airlines has adopted a one alcoholic bevarage policy, whilst BA remained generous in this aspect.

I am surprised on your answer with regards to food. I was always under the impression that CX food offering is good

With regards to cash upgrades, do they have a bidding system in place? If yes, what would an upgrade go on avarage? (Eco to PremEco)

Thanks again.

I have been flying CX long haul flights since 2009 and noticing the drop in their service in general. Reasons? Under staff, staff morale, company cut back etc etc Nonetheless, it all depends on the team of crew members. Good luck (I need that too on my upcoming flight).

Going back to your questions, I have never been refused any drink but I always got them during meal time. Ask for two drinks (or three) if you know for sure you need them. My general impression is that the crew members do not want to do EXTRA. If they tell you to get it later, then it will be at your discretion. More importantly, going to the galley for stuff is NEVER welcomed on any airline, not to mention using the call button. The worse is water. They used to pass water on an hourly basis but not anymore. This routine is presumably still on their operational guidelines but.....

CX food is acceptable in general. Of course, what you are served depends on your departure origin. If you fly out of LGW, expect general UK food. You can look up the thread on 'CX J Class Menu' and you may have a general idea of what you will be served.

Regarding upgrades, I do not think CX offers paid upgrade from Econ to PEY. Their biddable upgrades only apply to PEY to Business and only on a limited number of routes and fare class 'R'.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Let me share my experiences on BA and CX. I once was very hesitant of flying CX Y as I am used to BA WT. Earlier this month I had no choice but to do CX343 HKG-LGW and I was very impressed with it.

1. As it is an A350 it felt very fresh and new. Even though I booked in the day of departure, as an OWE I got an exit row all by myself. Doubt this will happen on BA

2. IFE has a lot of content, like much more than BA's highlife entertainment

3. Status really come into play. I was offered a bottle of Evian water and greeted by a CC, addressing by my surname and asked to find her for help etc.

4. I was VERY HAPPY to have first choice on meals. Don't know about breakfast as I was sleeping then. I was served dinner even before SPMLs. Because of this I was able to sleep early. I heard the food is not good (and experiences it first hand) in J but it was actually not bad. For breakfast, just after I woke up a CC walked past collecting trays and asked if I wanted to eat. I just love the proactive service there.

5. They have snacks, which is awesome. They have fruits, peanuts, even noodles. Unlike this British airline who though there is no need for these things

6. LGW arrivals is very fast to go through. No queue by the time I arrived and CX do priority bag tagging very well and bag was in the by as j arrive.d
It is standard service provided by CX for all OWEs (including DM), which I actually found very good when traveling in Y and made me very disappointed when flying with other OW carriers in Y. i.e. with QF, apart from select the first few rows of seats at booking (not extra leg room ones), I cannot find any other benefits.

You might be right. If I understand correctly BA provides spirits (Vodka, Gin...etc) in economy whilst CX only offers wine and beer.
There are Vodka & Gins at CX Y. And most none morning long haul flight, they will serve drinks first which has different kinds of spirits. And as OWE, request a regular drink not on the tray should be ok (i.e. bailey). I wouldnt want to order a champagne unless if ISM asked me, they just taste not right when served in plastic cups.

How come? Not fair to CX DMs?
I guess apart from op-up priorities, there is nothing OWE missing out when flying CX Y.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by jckl
Maybe you should rethink your attitude, a little common courtesy/politeness in the form of 'please' and 'thank you' goes a long way. Calling people 'northern imports' is xenophobic and makes one seem extremely insecure.
Couldn't thank you enough. Anyone that spends more than a week on FT knows what kind of advises kaka give on this forum
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Hello all,

I hope you can help me. I am about to book my first Cathay flight.
I never flew anything else apart from BA (tried all classes including Business and First).
This time I want to stick with a friend who flies in Economy and price conscious.

*There is usually very reasonable airport upgrade options.
-Does Cathay offers good cash upgrade options?

Bonus question: would you recommend Cathay A350 vs BA 787 in economy?

Many thanks for helping me with this!
https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/of...fic?lang=en_HK

A350 has only back galley and, without the mid galley, this makes tray distribution difficult.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Any use of asia miles

Now that I have my tickets in "Q" fare code, could I do anything with 40000 asia miles?

(I would have these from my Amex card)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Now that I have my tickets in "Q" fare code, could I do anything with 40000 asia miles?

(I would have these from my Amex card)
Q class is the lowest booking code possible for cash booking so you won't be getting any upgrade by points.

Interestingly, 40000 Asia Miles is enough to get a flight from HKG to most of European destinations via CX/BA in economy.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

*Would they serve ice cream as dessert on flights out of LGW?
*I have a connecting flight from Hong Kong to Phuket in the morning. Anyway to get western veggie breakfast? I don't imagine this would be an option on the flight...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: TK*G
*Would they serve ice cream as dessert on flights out of LGW?
*I have a connecting flight from Hong Kong to Phuket in the morning. Anyway to get western veggie breakfast? I don't imagine this would be an option on the flight...

Yes, CX serves Movenpick on all long-haul routes and Haagen-Daz on all regional flights apart from Taiwan/Manila routes.

Order VLML in advance for your meal if you want to get western veggie breakfast.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I didnt see from your post if you had OW status. If yes, you have a good chance of an OP-UP on Cathay (OWE mainly). Cathay mainly has lovely staff who are very helpful - and even more helpful if you have status. It's a noticeable difference. Generally the food is pretty awful but plenty of western options (I don't eat any of the Chinese style breakfasts, I actually think breakfast is one of their best meals!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.