Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX refuses to honour Oct 97 upgrade promise (Oriental Daily)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX refuses to honour Oct 97 upgrade promise (Oriental Daily)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by leungy18
So she bought 2 HKG-London tickets for 20k HKD? April isn't exactly peak season, but still, my guess would be that these aren't Y flex tickets. Mrs Chung waits 2 decades -- back when Y+ didn't exist and long-haul J isn't what it is now -- and then demands 2 upgrades from (what is probably an Y saver fare) to the J cabin? 2 round-trip J fares are roughly 80k HKD. A vague letter and a verbal agreement 20 years ago, and she's asking for upgrades roughly 60k HKD in value? Seriously?

I understand that there are plenty of good reasons to complain about CX in the past few years -- but this is not it. She simply isn't entitled to those upgrades.

That said, it would've made business sense for CX to just upgrade them without making a fuss. Creating brand loyalty is important -- especially for young customers (the 12-year-old daughter in particular). Not to mention the PR.
I respectfully disagree, as per my earlier post.
I have been trying to book tickets and flights are full on many days.
I don't know when the OP travels in April. But besides Ching Ming, when many Chinese travel to their parents tombs, Easter and Spring break (in HK and IN UK/Europe all schools have Spring break) mean that many flights are full.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:20 pm

Most jurisdictions say that records be kept for seven years - I think HK follows this rule as well. So you can't expect CX either to (1) have kept the original letter and (2) kept a record that the upgrade/ favour/ whatever wasn't used anytime 1997-2009 or so.

But basically, yeah, this is OD being OD.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Time was never the issue IIRC.

You are looking at this in the way how we look things nowadays.

However, if you look at this in the perspective of 1997, airlines in the past tended to make promises that was no longer valid, like unexpired miles, good redemption values, etc.

Beside - per the article, the major issue raised by CX was "no such record".
no such record of what wasnt said on the letter (a him vs her situation) and the general accusation that she could have used it for all the management now knows but CX doesnt have a record.

methinks CX should treat them the way they would have had someone now done CPU to save a pax now, and assume she never redeemed it (not her fault CX didnt keep a record!)
but then again, CX might not give a sh!t if someone saved a life now. CX could have just left the kid die and bill the family accordingly now.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by peasant
Most jurisdictions say that records be kept for seven years - I think HK follows this rule as well. So you can't expect CX either to (1) have kept the original letter and (2) kept a record that the upgrade/ favour/ whatever wasn't used anytime 1997-2009 or so.

But basically, yeah, this is OD being OD.
CX did in fact have the letter that Mrs Chung also produced. it's only the favour that they dont know if the Chungs had redeemed. So at the value of things, they havent redeemed it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kaka
CX could have just left the kid die and bill the family accordingly now.
Are you serious? I know CX has many faults but I don't think they would want anyone to die on a flight, and I seriously don't think the crew would let it happen either.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kaka
CX did in fact have the letter that Mrs Chung also produced. it's only the favour that they dont know if the Chungs had redeemed. So at the value of things, they havent redeemed it.
WIth no record of how the discussion between Mrs. Chung and the guy named Paulo, no one can say if there was any truth on the promise of an upgrade for the whole family. We won't even be able to say if it was actually offered or demanded by Mrs Chung. However bottom line 20 years is just a long time to wait for them to use it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Are you serious? I know CX has many faults but I don't think they would want anyone to die on a flight, and I seriously don't think the crew would let it happen either.
Agree. @kaka's remark is despicable. However much he may hate an airline, it is unacceptable to insinuate that CX would allow someone to die. This forum is degenerating into trolls who should post on ODN. I thought FT was for a sensible exchange of views about the experience - good or bad - of flying with CX. Not rehashing 20 year old stories and then making unfounded and borderline libellous remarks.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
recount how many died onboard or have medical diversions.
read cx secrets n have a feel of how many dont care cc there is.
if the airline dont bother or market towards dont bother customers, this is bound to happen.

Ya its harsh fact and i didnt feel like brushing up my language. But given how cx replied to many of us i can safely arrive at this conclusik .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.