Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back expired Asia miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Getting back expired Asia miles?

Hi. I had about 90,000 expired asia miles. Is it possible to get these back without paying? I've started to escalate up the chain at Marco Polo, but so far only got US$40 per 2000 miles, which is not worth it.

Is it possible to get them recredited for free? I know what the terms and conditions say, but wondered if CX would help out a loyal customer?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No offense - just how exactly are you loyal to CX?

If it is a published fee that even a DM needs to pay, don't see you have any luck at all getting it waived.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Gary Kung thank you. That's exactly the SA reply I was expecting.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:39 am

Redacted: misread
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Get the miles renewed for free? Don't think even DMP can get this... You better think about how to make best use of them before expire

Don't know your location, if you are in Hong Kong your best move should be convert it to Park'nShop points then convert back to Asia Miles later... BUT

90,000 miles -> 225,000 PnS points -> 56,250 miles

That should be cheaper than US$40 for 2000 miles, which would cost you US$1,160 to secure 58,000 miles
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Have they already expired? Then US$40 per 2,000 AM is the only option - can't just ask for extension for AM.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
My mum managed to get her expiring miles re-instated, albeit just for a few days. Were in the process of redeeming online (not a flight- some low value thing, but hey- those were miles going poof anyway) when the clock ticked over midnight in HKG - sent an email right away and as a one-off they reinstated the miles for a week or so i think - to complete the redemption.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:14 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I remember doing some redemption w/ Kaka where some of the miles we were using were about to expire (we were calling in about 22:00, miles expire 00:00). Agent advised ticketing would happen after 00:00, but since we called in the redemption before miles expiry, the agent will reinstate the expired miles so ticketing can use them.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
My mum managed to get her expiring miles re-instated, albeit just for a few days. Were in the process of redeeming online (not a flight- some low value thing, but hey- those were miles going poof anyway) when the clock ticked over midnight in HKG - sent an email right away and as a one-off they reinstated the miles for a week or so i think - to complete the redemption.
Now that I think of it, I had a similar experience with a brief reinstatement of miles since no one answered the call center number the night the miles were expiring.

However, in the case of the OP, I'm afraid he's out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.