Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

$100 USD coupon for service recovery- can be used for flights? How?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

So, for a flight I took in July, I ended up with two $50 USD vouchers (two hour delay on a HKG-BKK segment plus my longhaul J seat had no power, which was fine- I actually told them to recline it manually and I passed out for the ~2 hour flight, since it was about 4 am according to my body clock).

I assume the best way to use them is for duty-free, but I wasn't interested in lugging a bottle of scotch around the world (this was a SEA-LAX-HKG-BKK-CNX-BKK-ZRH-TXL-HAM-AMS-DUS-ORD-SEA two week+ extravaganza of travel, all done in carryons), but it does say they can be used for flights. I assume I have to actually show up at a CX ticket office to do this. Would this actually work if I showed up at YVR, SFO or LAX with a credit card and said "book me on Premium Economy to Narita out of LAX with a stopover in Hong Kong"? (I'm inclined to try this as a reasonable way to retain status on AS for 2018- IF I can get a ~$1500 USD fare and knock a $100 off of it too, sounds reasonable.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 23, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I am afraid if you show up at SFO, LAX or YVR, you may not get the USD1500 fare anymore.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I am afraid if you show up at SFO, LAX or YVR, you may not get the USD1500 fare anymore.
Yeah, that is not so good. :/
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
A few years ago you could call YVRCX, book the tickets, and mail them the voucher. Not sure if it still works.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
A few years ago you could call YVRCX, book the tickets, and mail them the voucher. Not sure if it still works.
This may still work, but I doubt OP can do that by showing up at the airport. That will be quite expensive if doable.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
This may still work, but I doubt OP can do that by showing up at the airport. That will be quite expensive if doable.
I'm willing to give it a shot if I can book one of the PE fares exUS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.