Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Fanfare economy now booking into O Class ? No Club Points...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Booked a fanfare economy ticket earlier and it booked into O class not the normal Q class. Meaning no more club points. Checking again all this week's economy fanfare destinations book into O class. Does this mean the end of earning club points with fanfare economy tickets ?

I thought this was one of the benefits brought in during the April 2016 MPC changes that Q class fanfare tickets were now eligible for club point whereas before they weren't.

Have I missed any announcement or is this a mistake on the website ?

Thanks,

bluebird3000
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Just used the wayback machine and found they silently changed "Get Asia Miles ... for every fanfares booking" to "Get Asia Miles ... for every fanfares booking on Business and Premium Economy Class". In fact, you can find the old image of that line from the image address by changing 201611 to 201610.

Meanwhile, before I read this post, I checked some HKG-Europe advance fares and found what used to be O class is now Q class (maybe with ~HK$100 difference). Well I always thought of trying fanfares because they are much of a bargain than the most discounted advance fares, paying less and earning something. Now there's less incentive to go fanfares.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
If the Asia Miles requirement of Hong Kong residency was correct (for mileage credit) then the change for most of us will be "not much".

But then Golds and DMs don't use Fanfares (or do they?)

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold/Hilton Gold/Marriott Platinum Elite
O class and Q class has been switched from today. You will not be able to earn anything from fanfare economy class as it changes to O class, but you can earn miles if you book flights which are previously O class by today as they change to Q class (for example the companion TPE fare).

Also, places such as PEK and TPE will now have business C class selling from today, but the price is not much different from J class (probably reduce the pressure of overbooking by guaranteed seat).
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:54 am
Original Poster

The 10 club point earning rate on these regional fanfare economy tickets was small but it was an nice enhancement added as part of the April MPC changes. Premise being MPC giving something small back to economy travellers while taking away a large chunk of club point earning for long haul.

I wouldn't dream of trying to make gold / diamond exclusively with fanfares but it was a nice extra when you were travelling around 10-15 fanfare trips per year.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Sy7217, when you say the O to Q class has been switched from today. Was there any announcement ? Or did you find out the same way I did by booking a ticket ?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:58 am

I wouldn't think there are too many status MPC members booking these things? I look every week and have so far never found a flight timing that I can make work.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Poster

There's quite a few MPC and other oneworld elites booking fanfares including myself. I know as I bump into them in the F lounges and then on the plane. You'd be surprised... If you can get on the website early enough on the Tuesday you can get some good weekend getaways. i was in Phnom Penh 2 weeks ago, going to Penang this weekend, Taichung and Qingdao in Jan. Its only a small amount of tier points but was a nice little extra... Its bad of cathay to bring in a small enhancement during April only to take it away a few months later.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold/Hilton Gold/Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bluebird3000
Sy7217, when you say the O to Q class has been switched from today. Was there any announcement ? Or did you find out the same way I did by booking a ticket ?
A friend of travel agent told me earlier today, and I check several destinations lowest fares and it is true.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I don't see why an elite member WOULDN'T consider a fanfare, especially if they were paying out of their own pocket. Seems more like nickle and diming from Cathay City.

You could say they're factoring in the possibility that one could previously obtain DM status simply by purchasing fanfares...but you'd have to do A LOT of flying to get 1200 tier points on fanfares (at least 120 round trips). And you could even argue the revenue that CX from 120 round trips could justify DM status. If anything, you'd be filling up seats on a plane that CX has trouble filling so that CX can then later charge more money for those who actually need to fly on that plane.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sy7217
Also, places such as PEK and TPE will now have business C class selling from today, but the price is not much different from J class (probably reduce the pressure of overbooking by guaranteed seat).
Just booked a round trip econ to PEK today and did check the business class fare (to see if I should upgrade to J by miles or cash...) but was completely not aware of the offering of C class until I read your message...

And just checked that C is now the Business Flex for PEK... Can't choose J fare unless you uncheck "Flexible on travel days" on CX.com... BUT.... Did a dummy booking price check...

J: HK$11,260 + HK$382 tax = HK$11,642; Fare rules: Full flex as before

C: HK$11,260 + HK$382 tax = HK$11,642; Fare rules: No show penalty HK$1,000, Cancellation charge HK$800 before flight, No refund after flight <- I won't call this flexible....

I'd call this "Enhance"......
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
Hi all,
I have a O class booking BKK-HKG-NRT rt, wil I have normal access to lounges as a emerald member or restrictions apply?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Protocol7
Hi all,
I have a O class booking BKK-HKG-NRT rt, wil I have normal access to lounges as a emerald member or restrictions apply?
you will have access to lounges and other OWE benefits as long as you are taking CX flights (any fare class)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.