Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jumping ship to Avios in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Originally Posted by sksk
Thanks a lot for your info! Will definitely check up the BA forum later. But can you clarify a bit on how it makes my regional flights more comfortable? Thanks!

Except BA, is it the same for AA, Qatar or Finnair if I have 3 long haul flights each year?

Maybe I should put my long hauls with BA program while the regional flights with MPO so that I can get a Sapphire status with BA while earning maximum miles for my regional flights?
You will need to fly 4 sectors on BA or IB minimum to qualify for BA silver or Gold.
You may earn nothing on CX economy fares, depending on fare code class.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Hi guys,

I have read through a few threads but still couldn't decide which program is the best for my situation.

I am based in Hong Kong and is currently a gold member which will expire in Oct 2017.

1. I fly 3 long hauls in business class for work every year, destination varies, could be the US, South America, Europe or Australia. I don't get to choose the airlines but most probably it would be Finnair to Europe, AA to America and CX to Australia which are all one world members.
2. I fly around 15 short hauls within Asia for work in economy every year, destinations include Seoul, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Shanghai, Thailand, etc. 90% of the time I fly CX. But I don't get to choose the fare types and it is always the cheapest one available.
3. I use the asiamiles earned during the year to redeem 2 business classes return flights to different locations for vacation every year.

To me the most important things are upgrades on travel and good award redemption rate. Lounge assess during long haul flights is also important.

I am considering jumping ship as well after the devaluation of the MCP. I don't think I can maintain the Gold status next year and will be demoted to Silver. It takes 600 club points to maintain the Gold status but I am guessing I will only get around 550 points next year. I don't think there is a big difference in terms of benefit between the Gold and Silver status of MCP. But it makes a huge difference to me when I travel to Europe and America because Gold in MCP is Sapphire in Oneworld while Silver in MCP is just Ruby in Oneworld -

Ruby benefits:
Priority Business Class check-in
Preferred seating (where offered)
Priority standby and waitlisting

Sapphire benefits:
Extra baggage allowance
Priority baggage handling
Priority boarding
Preferred and pre-reserved seating when offered by the airline operatiing the flight
Access to Business Class and frequent flyer lounges (with one guest), regardless of the class of service flown that day

I am not very familiar with the British Airlines FFP. Do you think I can maintain Sapphire if I switch to BA FFP or even other oneworld FFP based on my current travel pattern?

Any advice is appreciated!
You're going to struggle to get to BA silver/oneworld sapphire on that flying pattern because it looks like it will be tough to get the four BA/IB segments you'll need every year. If you're also looking to rack up enough miles to redeem a couple J tickets per year, an advantage of MPO/AM is the much better credit card earn in HK, and ability to wait list on CX flights.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Hi guys,

I have read through a few threads but still couldn't decide which program is the best for my situation.

I am based in Hong Kong and is currently a gold member which will expire in Oct 2017.

1. I fly 3 long hauls in business class for work every year, destination varies, could be the US, South America, Europe or Australia. I don't get to choose the airlines but most probably it would be Finnair to Europe, AA to America and CX to Australia which are all one world members.
2. I fly around 15 short hauls within Asia for work in economy every year, destinations include Seoul, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Shanghai, Thailand, etc. 90% of the time I fly CX. But I don't get to choose the fare types and it is always the cheapest one available.
3. I use the asiamiles earned during the year to redeem 2 business classes return flights to different locations for vacation every year.

To me the most important things are upgrades on travel and good award redemption rate. Lounge assess during long haul flights is also important.

I am considering jumping ship as well after the devaluation of the MCP. I don't think I can maintain the Gold status next year and will be demoted to Silver. It takes 600 club points to maintain the Gold status but I am guessing I will only get around 550 points next year. I don't think there is a big difference in terms of benefit between the Gold and Silver status of MCP. But it makes a huge difference to me when I travel to Europe and America because Gold in MCP is Sapphire in Oneworld while Silver in MCP is just Ruby in Oneworld -

Ruby benefits:
Preferred seating (where offered)

Sapphire benefits:
Extra baggage allowance
Priority baggage handling
Priority boarding
Preferred and pre-reserved seating when offered by the airline operatiing the flight
Access to Business Class and frequent flyer lounges (with one guest), regardless of the class of service flown that day

I am not very familiar with the British Airlines FFP. Do you think I can maintain Sapphire if I switch to BA FFP or even other oneworld FFP based on my current travel pattern?

Any advice is appreciated!
Maybe explore Qantas - with 3x Longhaul you may just reach QF Gold depending where you go (i.e OWS). As others have said, this will make your shorthaul more comfortable and you will have more flexibility in guesting than MPC SL

Also, you may find it easier to get the 4x QF sectors which are needed (you can use Jetstar in Asia Pac area) / Qantas to Australia...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.