Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific turning 70 on Saturday....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

CX is turning 70 on Saturday and I'm not seeing anything about it.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:03 pm

Free-flow champagne across all flights day that day? #HahOneCanWish
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
wow here's to wishing them doing something to celebrate because I will be flying long haul with them on Saturday
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

When they celebrated 60 years, they even came out with commemorative pins sets which were really cool. I was hoping they would do something....oh well
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Will fly this Saturday SYD-HKG, J is wide open, maybe they'll bump us into J for celebration
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Well I stopped celebrating my birthdays on reaching 40 so i can understand someone not celebrating their 70th!

To be honest I could not care how long the airline has been around - one only has to look at some of the new airlines to see age is not always an advantage
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
70 Agnes B coffee coupons lucky draw!!!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
No special livery or decal on certain planes?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by hikouki
While it would be nice to mark the milestone, I would be surprised if they come out with a special livery or decal.

In the August 17th CX Interim Results Press Release announcing the 82% drop in earnings per share...(bold underline below added)
Cathay Pacific Chairman John Slosar said: “We expect the operating environment in the second half of the year to continue to be impacted by the same adverse factors as in the first half. The overall business outlook therefore remains challenging. We expect passenger yield to remain under pressure. Overcapacity and economic fragility will dampen cargo demand. Fuel prices have increased this year, but are still lower than in previous periods. The benefits from lower fuel prices will continue to be partially offset by losses on our fuel hedging contracts. The fuel surcharge remains suspended. In this difficult environment, we will manage capacity and strive to make further improvements in operational efficiency. We will also continue to be vigilant on costs.

“The strategic objective of the Cathay Pacific Group is to provide sustainable growth in shareholder value over the long term. To that end we will continue to build a modern and fuel-efficient fleet and to strengthen our network and will strive to provide a high standard of customer service. We will continue to develop our strategic relationship with Air China. As we celebrate our 70th anniversary, our commitment to the Hong Kong and its people remains unwavering. We will continue to make long-term strategic investments to develop and strengthen Hong Kong’s position as Asia’s premier aviation hub.”
Note that the release came out on August 17th. However, on September 5th, CX released info regarding the fuel surcharge update with fuel surcharges applicable per sector on itineraries originating outside of HKG effective September 15th.

[SARCASM]If CX could find a way to charge pax a fee for flying on aircraft with special livery, they may consider a special 70th anniversary livery or decal to put on some aircraft.[/SARCASM]

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...m-results.html
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Originally Posted by percysmith
70 Agnes B coffee coupons lucky draw!!!
On percy you did it again lol
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
While it would be nice to mark the milestone, I would be surprised if they come out with a special livery or decal.

In the August 17th CX Interim Results Press Release announcing the 82% drop in earnings per share...(bold underline below added)
Cathay Pacific Chairman John Slosar said: “We expect the operating environment in the second half of the year to continue to be impacted by the same adverse factors as in the first half. The overall business outlook therefore remains challenging. We expect passenger yield to remain under pressure. Overcapacity and economic fragility will dampen cargo demand. Fuel prices have increased this year, but are still lower than in previous periods. The benefits from lower fuel prices will continue to be partially offset by losses on our fuel hedging contracts. The fuel surcharge remains suspended. In this difficult environment, we will manage capacity and strive to make further improvements in operational efficiency. We will also continue to be vigilant on costs.

“The strategic objective of the Cathay Pacific Group is to provide sustainable growth in shareholder value over the long term. To that end we will continue to build a modern and fuel-efficient fleet and to strengthen our network and will strive to provide a high standard of customer service. We will continue to develop our strategic relationship with Air China. As we celebrate our 70th anniversary, our commitment to the Hong Kong and its people remains unwavering. We will continue to make long-term strategic investments to develop and strengthen Hong Kong’s position as Asia’s premier aviation hub.”
Note that the release came out on August 17th. However, on September 5th, CX released info regarding the fuel surcharge update with fuel surcharges applicable per sector on itineraries originating outside of HKG effective September 15th.

[SARCASM]If CX could find a way to charge pax a fee for flying on aircraft with special livery, they may consider a special 70th anniversary livery or decal to put on some aircraft.[/SARCASM]

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...m-results.html
Why isn't anybody getting fired. :roll eyes:

So sad to see this happening to a once great airline. Few airlines make it to 70, and just when CX does make it to this milestone, then austerity measures have to be put in place.

As a kid growing up in SEAsia, CX was the "PanAm" or "Emirates" of the 80s/90s. Not only was HKG a geographical hub, but a melting pot of different cultures and CX even capitalized on the fact that it hired FAs from so many different Asian lands. How times have changed (declined). Oh well, happy anniversary anyway, CX!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hikouki
Even PR invests on those every 5 years, current fleet has 75th year decals....
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:19 pm

Will anyone be attending the 'Celebrating 70 Years of Milestones Together' event on 28 September?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:49 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Even PR invests on those every 5 years, current fleet has 75th year decals....
Do they refer to the airline or the planes?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Do they refer to the airline or the planes?
Hahahaha....Actually PR has pretty new planes. Ugly interiors but planes are pretty new, the old generation 340/330s have been retired together with their 744s. The current fleet are 340s (still old exIberia ones) 77Ws (they are getting 2 more this year I think), Hi-density aka sardines can 330s and a bunch of new 320/321s under 5 years old I think
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.