FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Cathay Pacific turning 70 on Saturday.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1791875-cathay-pacific-turning-70-saturday.html)

FlyPointyEnd Sep 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Cathay Pacific turning 70 on Saturday....

CX is turning 70 on Saturday and I'm not seeing anything about it.

infinitium Sep 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Free-flow champagne across all flights day that day? #HahOneCanWish :)

rienhart87 Sep 19, 2016 8:31 pm

wow here's to wishing them doing something to celebrate because I will be flying long haul with them on Saturday :) :D

FlyPointyEnd Sep 19, 2016 9:16 pm

When they celebrated 60 years, they even came out with commemorative pins sets which were really cool. I was hoping they would do something....oh well

Ausriver Sep 20, 2016 1:24 am

Will fly this Saturday SYD-HKG, J is wide open, maybe they'll bump us into J for celebration

amnicoll Sep 20, 2016 4:17 am

Well I stopped celebrating my birthdays on reaching 40 so i can understand someone not celebrating their 70th!

To be honest I could not care how long the airline has been around - one only has to look at some of the new airlines to see age is not always an advantage

percysmith Sep 20, 2016 4:25 am

70 Agnes B coffee coupons lucky draw!!!

hikouki Sep 20, 2016 7:42 am

No special livery or decal on certain planes?

Mr. Strong Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 27237492)

While it would be nice to mark the milestone, I would be surprised if they come out with a special livery or decal.

In the August 17th CX Interim Results Press Release announcing the 82% drop in earnings per share...(bold underline below added)
Cathay Pacific Chairman John Slosar said: “We expect the operating environment in the second half of the year to continue to be impacted by the same adverse factors as in the first half. The overall business outlook therefore remains challenging. We expect passenger yield to remain under pressure. Overcapacity and economic fragility will dampen cargo demand. Fuel prices have increased this year, but are still lower than in previous periods. The benefits from lower fuel prices will continue to be partially offset by losses on our fuel hedging contracts. The fuel surcharge remains suspended. In this difficult environment, we will manage capacity and strive to make further improvements in operational efficiency. We will also continue to be vigilant on costs.

“The strategic objective of the Cathay Pacific Group is to provide sustainable growth in shareholder value over the long term. To that end we will continue to build a modern and fuel-efficient fleet and to strengthen our network and will strive to provide a high standard of customer service. We will continue to develop our strategic relationship with Air China. As we celebrate our 70th anniversary, our commitment to the Hong Kong and its people remains unwavering. We will continue to make long-term strategic investments to develop and strengthen Hong Kong’s position as Asia’s premier aviation hub.”
Note that the release came out on August 17th. However, on September 5th, CX released info regarding the fuel surcharge update with fuel surcharges applicable per sector on itineraries originating outside of HKG effective September 15th.

[SARCASM]If CX could find a way to charge pax a fee for flying on aircraft with special livery, they may consider a special 70th anniversary livery or decal to put on some aircraft.[/SARCASM]

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...m-results.html

ashsong Sep 20, 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 27236903)
70 Agnes B coffee coupons lucky draw!!!

On percy you did it again lol :D

hikouki Sep 20, 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Strong (Post 27237639)
While it would be nice to mark the milestone, I would be surprised if they come out with a special livery or decal.

In the August 17th CX Interim Results Press Release announcing the 82% drop in earnings per share...(bold underline below added)
Cathay Pacific Chairman John Slosar said: “We expect the operating environment in the second half of the year to continue to be impacted by the same adverse factors as in the first half. The overall business outlook therefore remains challenging. We expect passenger yield to remain under pressure. Overcapacity and economic fragility will dampen cargo demand. Fuel prices have increased this year, but are still lower than in previous periods. The benefits from lower fuel prices will continue to be partially offset by losses on our fuel hedging contracts. The fuel surcharge remains suspended. In this difficult environment, we will manage capacity and strive to make further improvements in operational efficiency. We will also continue to be vigilant on costs.

“The strategic objective of the Cathay Pacific Group is to provide sustainable growth in shareholder value over the long term. To that end we will continue to build a modern and fuel-efficient fleet and to strengthen our network and will strive to provide a high standard of customer service. We will continue to develop our strategic relationship with Air China. As we celebrate our 70th anniversary, our commitment to the Hong Kong and its people remains unwavering. We will continue to make long-term strategic investments to develop and strengthen Hong Kong’s position as Asia’s premier aviation hub.”
Note that the release came out on August 17th. However, on September 5th, CX released info regarding the fuel surcharge update with fuel surcharges applicable per sector on itineraries originating outside of HKG effective September 15th.

[SARCASM]If CX could find a way to charge pax a fee for flying on aircraft with special livery, they may consider a special 70th anniversary livery or decal to put on some aircraft.[/SARCASM]

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...m-results.html

Why isn't anybody getting fired. :roll eyes:

So sad to see this happening to a once great airline. Few airlines make it to 70, and just when CX does make it to this milestone, then austerity measures have to be put in place.

As a kid growing up in SEAsia, CX was the "PanAm" or "Emirates" of the 80s/90s. Not only was HKG a geographical hub, but a melting pot of different cultures and CX even capitalized on the fact that it hired FAs from so many different Asian lands. How times have changed (declined). :( Oh well, happy anniversary anyway, CX!

FlyPointyEnd Sep 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 27237492)

Even PR invests on those every 5 years, current fleet has 75th year decals....

antkleve Sep 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Will anyone be attending the 'Celebrating 70 Years of Milestones Together' event on 28 September?

percysmith Sep 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 27240411)
Even PR invests on those every 5 years, current fleet has 75th year decals....

Do they refer to the airline or the planes?

FlyPointyEnd Sep 21, 2016 1:14 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 27240993)
Do they refer to the airline or the planes?

Hahahaha....Actually PR has pretty new planes. Ugly interiors but planes are pretty new, the old generation 340/330s have been retired together with their 744s. The current fleet are 340s (still old exIberia ones) 77Ws (they are getting 2 more this year I think), Hi-density aka sardines can 330s and a bunch of new 320/321s under 5 years old I think