Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Increased luggage allowance with max no. of pieces..Starting from Sep 15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased luggage allowance with max no. of pieces..Starting from Sep 15

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: QF plat, CX gold, SQ pps, Ethihad gold, Klm gold, HH gold, spy gold
another dm downgrade

Was checking in fromtaipri Portland was shocked to be informed that I can only carry a max of 3 boxes from now onwards. I really think cx is downgrading a lot of diamond benefits. I used to be able to carry any number of lugguahes and any weight without a blink of The Eye and today the agent attempted to charge me for excess baggage. Of course it was eventually waived on a courtesy basis. First , they deny all excess into the lounge and now they tried to limit the pieces and weight. I'm seeing more lower tier enhancement and higher tier trimming of benefits, I wondered if cx still wants people to fly with them.

Originally Posted by ajhira
Is this really going to be an "enhancement" for DM's or are they actually going to get stricter on us and more lenient with the lower tier members...?

Until now, ex-NA it has been very easy for me to take 4 pieces or sometime even 5 without paying (when travelling in J). Been taking a minimum of 4 pieces 8 times a year for the past 5 years... many times even 5 pieces and never paid a cent in excess.

We shall see next month I suppose!
ex tpe
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
CX at SYD very strict

Just checked for CX110 I think I've just met one of the rude checkin agent.

Luggage was 3kg over, didn't say anything, but printed an invoice of almost AU$200. I was like: are you sure? Normally they would at least check with the manager and then if manager said no, ask if we'd like to take things out or pay for luggage. And manager never would said no since I was GO for things like 3kg over.

Didn't argue about anything, as there were still some space left in my carry on. Not very good Cathay.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
For DM members, think this is a downgrade. Will miss checking in unlimited pieces 🙁
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Mafai
For DM members, think this is a downgrade. Will miss checking in unlimited pieces 🙁
I guess minimum weight would be 1kg, so maximum pieces could be checked in would 70 if flying F
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
didn't say anything, but printed an invoice of almost AU$200.
Wait..s/he literally didn't say anything and just handed you an invoice?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by gpia
Wait..s/he literally didn't say anything and just handed you an invoice?

Yes, not one single word, but an printed invoice on a boarding pass type paper in front of me and no other options were given.

I had to ask "can I take something out?" like the way it could be refused.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Currently in NYC with my family celebrating Chinese New Year. Was part of the entourage that sent off a couple of elderly in my family JFK-HKG. Their luggage are all 24-25kg, and both of their carry-on are 13 kg. The check-in lady said she can let go of their luggage but carry-on has to be reduce to 7 kg. They are arguing and finally I just said I'll pay for the $150 USD, get a Cathay box, and dump the excess in there.

Just FYI if you are flying Y out of JFK. From what I am observing, they are literally weighting everything. My wife wanted me to use my status and pull a DYKWIA, to which I replied it's easier for me to pull my wallet.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:03 am
She

Traveling soon HKG - TPE on a ticket issued pre-Sep 15. Is the allowance per passenger? How flexible are they with combining it amongst the family? I.e. Family of 3 X 20kg = 60kg total

Reason I am asking is because we flew here from the States and have 3 bags total. Two are well under the limit but one bag is exactly 50lb. If they're going by per passenger limit then id rather repack it before getting to the airport
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by She
Traveling soon HKG - TPE on a ticket issued pre-Sep 15. Is the allowance per passenger? How flexible are they with combining it amongst the family? I.e. Family of 3 X 20kg = 60kg total

Reason I am asking is because we flew here from the States and have 3 bags total. Two are well under the limit but one bag is exactly 50lb. If they're going by per passenger limit then id rather repack it before getting to the airport
My experience a year ago (pre-Sep15) on HKG-NRT return was they seem to calculate combined. 2 friends on same ticket with lighter bags, my bag of 23kg outbound and 25kg inbound was checked without being asked. So long as you check in together I think?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:40 pm
She

Thanks. I will just leave my bags as they are then
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Just FYI if you are flying Y out of JFK. From what I am observing, they are literally weighting everything. My wife wanted me to use my status and pull a DYKWIA, to which I replied it's easier for me to pull my wallet.
We've (self + wife, who's GOt) been having a big shopping trip to the US - pretty much annually, for a few years now. Typically end up 6 check-in pieces and a small backpack each + 1-2 rollaboard(s) for carrying on.

Always ask at check-in 'We're within out allowance, but would like to check-in the rollaboard(s) if that would be possible - just to make the flights/transit easier'. Never been an issue at SFO, LAX or ORD. Not so at JFK, where the agent replied (politely) 'You've used up your allowance - so unless you want to pay excess fees...' Didn't push it.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:38 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
So is HKG and BKK

Normally my wife and I struggle to exceed 40kg.
Even for a 12 day vacation to Canada incl Northwest Territories we only had 13 each.
We come back from Japan with sparkling sake and even washing liquid and only got high 30s.

I don't realise I am heaviest when I'm with mother, who insists on golfing with her own set of clubs and also I do too.
So I was a bit shocked last Friday when the check in agent at HK Station said "mr smith you're 28kg. Will it be miles or cash?"

(This ticket was a T-360 redemption ticket my allowance was still 20kg)

I asked to unpack instead and took out a laptop charger and powerboard. Another agent reweighed me
"Mr smith, you're 25 but I will let you go on basis of Green"

Mother and maid checked in separately and also reported having to unpack to meet 40kg allowance. In her instance she hand carried shoes and balls.

---

Similar in BKK. We checked in together hoping my Green can count for plus 5 per passenger.
No such love. Told to unpack at 72kg
We unpacked til 62kg and were let through.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by tycosiao
If 2 pax travel together, 1 with OWE and the other without status, does the OWE baggage allowance apply for both or just the OWE?
Anyone can help with this question?

About to check in massive amounts for BKK-SIN.

Does my friend who is under the same PNR as me get the same allowance as me or the standard 2 pieces/30kg?

How strict are they now with over kg?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I wasn't under same PNR as mum/maid. But otherwise my case in post #87 is pretty similar to yours. For clarity, neither mum nor maid has status.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by percysmith
I wasn't under same PNR as mum/maid. But otherwise my case in post #87 is pretty similar to yours. For clarity, neither mum nor maid has status.
Thanks, I guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

From what I see, the loads on my flight (CX713) are low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.