Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong First Family forces CX to break airport safety rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong First Family forces CX to break airport safety rules

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yuropflyer economic yes (whether it is sustainable for HK is not certain) but certainly the EQ of Government and its critics has certainly gone down. Govt doesn't help its case by collectively lying even if the pan dems should not have made such a meal out of it - admit Chung-Yan received an exception, it did not cause a security risk and develop guidelines on how future cases will be handled.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 10, 2016 at 7:53 am
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The Overall development of HK as well as China overall in the last 20 years (ie since HK got freed from British rule) certainly is good. Picking some small events is always what those not agreeing with the rulership will do.
Quite the mainland sentiment...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:32 am

I'm with Percysmith and Yuropflyer on this one. Hong Kong's economy has done well under Chinese rule, but I think that's going entirely OT. But this, together with discussions about freedom and democracy is a topic for discussion in another place I think.

The reality is that CX would probably have done the exact same thing for any passenger, whether daughter of the chief executive or not. Maybe they were a lot more harried than they would have otherwise, but I don't see what the alternative is.

I also think the CE and his family should be allowed use of the VIP terminal -- in which case this entire discussion would be moot -- but I see many around here seem to disagree and expect him to stand in security like everyone else.

And let's also try to listen to the other side for once. CY said he didn't ask anyone to call him 梁特首, and correctly points out that he would have called some senior management at the airport authority if he really wanted to get special treatment. Sounds like there was a fair dose of creativity thrown into the fruit daily report.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:22 am

Hong Kong Cabin Crew Federation has accused CAD of misstating there was no non-compliance Chung-Yan's case https://www.facebook.com/HKCCF1300/p...314211057674:0

It asserted ICAO rules were broken. Specifically "「有任何手提行李可以交由並非乘客本人攜帶 , 甚至不確定是否曾過安檢 , 便進入飛機上」" should not be acceptable. But it did not quote the source of the rule quoted.

CAD issued a denial of non-compliance to press (not published in its own website) http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...647&a=54970734

I take it that is a direct quote or a translation of an ICAO requirement.
I am unable to find ICAO published the Chinese (Chinese is a UN language) of the HKCCF quote.
Nor am I able to find a ICAO English document relating to simultaneous passenger baggage screening.

I will be very surprised if HKCCF is able to quote from a ICAO document that is not public.
In the case it is, can someone provide the document reference and a more complete quote please.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 10, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:52 am

What does the cabin crew federation have anything to do with this? Do they also cover ground staff and AVESCO?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:54 am

No but I guess they can say if Avesco/CAD stuff up screening they are an affected party.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
I guess they all have their father's genes...
They are all f-heads (on a personal note. The cy "taxi" leung is a classmate of my sister and cy "plane" leung is the classmate of my flatmate's sis. Utter nightmare)
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by carmy
And let's also try to listen to the other side for once. CY said he didn't ask anyone to call him 梁特首
(I know he said he didn't but) he should have asked to be addressed as Chief Executive. This way we know he's exercising his Cap 494 s. 24(1) powers and no one will argue about non-compliance.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:39 am
Suspended

point made. hope you have received your CNY5 for speaking fluent english.
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The Overall development of HK as well as China overall in the last 20 years (ie since HK got freed from British rule) certainly is good. Picking some small events is always what those not agreeing with the rulership will do.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Yuropflyer economic yes (whether it is sustainable for HK is not certain) but certainly the EQ of Government and its critics has certainly gone down. Govt doesn't help its case by collectively lying even if the pan dems should not have made such a meal out of it - admit Chung-Yan received an exception, it did not cause a security risk and develop guidelines on how future cases will be handled.
what good?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by kaka
point made. hope you have received your CNY5 for speaking fluent english.

I hope you received your USD 10 for blatant anti chinese Propaganda. ..
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by kaka
what good?
Well if Govt is trying to assert that Chung-Yan's case is not non-compliance, document how similar cases will be dealt with in the future. If Chung-Yan "gets away with it" but Apple demonstrates airport staff stonewalling the next day, then it does become proven favouritism unless something is done about it.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This has gone off topic to CX so closing this thread.

Discussion continues here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...ety-rules.html

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Last edited by sxc; Apr 10, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.