Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New regional business class - is it that bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New regional business class - is it that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
No way it will be #3. Chances are CX will try to put you on some non-OW 1-2 stops crazy alternatives before even considering option #2. Load factors play a huge role too, as HKG-LHR flights tend to be quite full.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Agent69
Think I've abandoned the idea of regional J to DPS, but one option would be SGN -AMS on the return leg. Only problem is that there is only 75 minutes transit time.
At HKG? I suspect you'd be fine. MCT at HKG is well below 75 minutes (more like 45), you'll probably have enough time to pop into the lounge for a few minutes. Wouldn't stress about it, HKG is an efficient airport and you won't need to clear customs or immigration to connect (just some transit security screening).

Originally Posted by Daffie
No way it will be #3. Chances are CX will try to put you on some non-OW 1-2 stops crazy alternatives before even considering option #2. Load factors play a huge role too, as HKG-LHR flights tend to be quite full.
Yeah, plus there are other connecting options in Europe where you could do CX for the long segment, then AB or even KL/AF for the short one into AMS.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 27, 2016 at 10:13 pm
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Then go with CX. Those who complain about the regional J seat being scarcely better than premium economy are really making a mountain out of a molehill. It reclines a lot more than the PE seat, which only reclines a few inches more than Y seats. It is as wide as the older flatbed J seats for long haul on other airlines as the layout is 2-2-2 on an A330 and 2-3-2 on a 777.

CX has few regional flights longer than 4-5 hours so it's perfectly comfortable for that. And when these seats were deployed for some of the Indian sub-continent flights, I have slept the entire flight in them without difficulty.
I don't really know if would be able to get a good nights sleep on the regional J seat but for daytime flights within Asia it's perfectly adequate as mentioned.

Just an add-on question: How do you get the seat to recline to sleeping position?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
its ok but its just as others said..its a step down from CX's long haul J. The seat is comparable to US domestic first class (excluding the very good transcon first on AA/UA)
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hkflyer2014
its ok but its just as others said..its a step down from CX's long haul J. The seat is comparable to US domestic first class (excluding the very good transcon first on AA/UA)
Not sure I would say that....domestic first class on many AA planes (yes excluding transcon) is the same seat as CX premium economy.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: FT
my food and service HKG-NRT was much much better than YYZ-HKG....much better. food was about the lowest I have seen it in J between YYZ-HKG. perhaps its the late departure but it was so so.

compared with JAL, NRT-ORD in J....no comparison. and the cabin was not too hot on JAL either.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Daffie
Think I get the general idea. If you miss your connecting flight, don't expect the replacement to be of equal convenience.

So one final question: do CX have any sales, or might I just as well book now?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Think I get the general idea. If you miss your connecting flight, don't expect the replacement to be of equal convenience.
That's usually how it works, but I wouldn't worry too much about connecting at HKG, even on a 75 minute connection.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So one final question: do CX have any sales, or might I just as well book now?
You are booking ex-AMS? I'm not sure about AMS market, but in HKG, there are few sales.

Ex-UK there's currently an attractive sale in Economy and Premium Economy until 30 April, and these do return but I'm not sure with what frequency. Not sure about Business class to HKG, but SE Asia destinations have good fares in this sale.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
You are booking ex-AMS? I'm not sure about AMS market, but in HKG, there are few sales.

Ex-UK there's currently an attractive sale in Economy and Premium Economy until 30 April, and these do return but I'm not sure with what frequency. Not sure about Business class to HKG, but SE Asia destinations have good fares in this sale.
I'm looking to something to SIN / KUL / SIN / SGN area. From UK would be nice, but can't get anywhere near the £1400 in J from AMS.

Thanks for the pointer to the current CX offers from London. There are some good prices (incl £2100 in J) but unfortunately there appears to be an embargo in October / November, which is when I was thinking of going.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:18 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"The soft product was good, while I don’t love the seats in this configuration, as I find it’s tough to get comfortable in them. Fortunately Cathay Pacific operates longhaul configured aircraft on many routes within Asia, so often these seats can be avoided."

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...usiness-class/
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Does CX use regional products on MNL routes? It seems MNL always get the longhaul equipment, at least on my past flights with CX.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
Does CX use regional products on MNL routes? It seems MNL always get the longhaul equipment, at least on my past flights with CX.
Luck of the draw. But the evening flights like the 913 and 905 commonly use the A330, 772 or 773. But that doesn't mean the 77W or A350 can't do those flights either as they do on occasion. The morning flights can vary depending on load factors, availability. Pretty much luck of the draw on what you get.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
These "compare to this, Cathay is great" arguments is exactly the reason why Cathay is sunking. Is this what Cathay is good for nowadays, being better than Ryan Air is good enough for us?

Offering 2-3-2 and calling it (and selling it) "Business Class", even for regional routes, is shameful. Just because the flight is shorter doesn't mean my value expectations should be lower.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
These "compare to this, Cathay is great" arguments is exactly the reason why Cathay is sunking. Is this what Cathay is good for nowadays, being better than Ryan Air is good enough for us?

Offering 2-3-2 and calling it (and selling it) "Business Class", even for regional routes, is shameful. Just because the flight is shorter doesn't mean my value expectations should be lower.
Very well said. Fortunately the services/catering on board, lounge experience, priority check-in/baggage/immigration are all pretty much the same (or similar) to long-haul. Just the seats are... really regional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.