Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

I wish CX would close this loophole by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I wish CX would close this loophole by...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mkjr
i suspect a good number of people have no idea they can redeem on CX and go to the booking engine and try to search say JFK-HKG and see options through DFW and book...and assume that if they know CX could be redeemed, since it does not show up online, it must not exist.
I'm not sure who in their right mind would rather travel JFK-DFW-HKG on AA as opposed to JFK-HKG on CX direct. As least for those travelling in J.

For those that are doing thirsty mileage runs in Y / MCE, that's another story.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Honestly, CX offers free (or close to free) reissues for a lot of standard paid fare buckets, one can only dream about this with AA...I think this is vastly superior compared to free award reissues (non-EXPs also have to pay a lot at times)

So it's pretty much each airline money-grabbing in different ways, I very much agree, which I don't find how much of a problem this is
Exactly.

Plus given how Asia Miles are so easily earned in HK/SE Asia, I doubt the kvetchers would jump to AA if they had to earn at a rate of 1USD/mile for CC.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Daffie
I'm not sure who in their right mind would rather travel JFK-DFW-HKG on AA as opposed to JFK-HKG on CX direct. As least for those travelling in J.

I agree but there are a whole bunch of people out there that look for the easiest way to book something on points. You assume the average person is what you get on FT but 8 out of the ten people around me, well, probably 9 out of the 10 people immediately proximate to me in my office would book this and not bother to call and assume if it was not in the AA booking engine, then it is not available.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Enhancements
Plus given how Asia Miles are so easily earned in HK/SE Asia, I doubt the kvetchers would jump to AA if they had to earn at a rate of 1USD/mile for CC.
Do AA members earn their miles at USD1/AA mile?

Why use a "standard" earn rate when their earn is clearly not based on that?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:18 am
tsz

That sounds painful—the only reason I can think of is someone (for whatever reasons) ABSOLUTELY cannot go 15 hours without Wi-Fi.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by percysmith
Do AA members earn their miles at USD1/AA mile?

Why use a "standard" earn rate when their earn is clearly not based on that?
With a credit card yes.
Flying, currently, is 1 mile per mile flown.

I recall earning at least 2 Asia miles per mile flow when I bought my last economy CX ticket. That earned twice as much as I would with AA.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I recall earning at least 2 Asia miles per mile flow when I bought my last economy CX ticket. That earned twice as much as I would with AA.
Not sure what you were exactly flying. Even flying CX F will only get you 1.5X miles.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:36 pm

Not sure what you were exactly flying. Even flying CX F will only get you 1.5X miles.
Hum now that I think about it. It was a RT from the US and one inter Asia flight from eastern china to HK. It earned me over 16k miles on economy.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Hum now that I think about it. It was a RT from the US and one inter Asia flight from eastern china to HK. It earned me over 16k miles on economy.
But it's a roundtrip!!! Of course you've earned exactly what you've flown. So your point is....???
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
And then there's the fact that there aren't any status linked bonus miles to be earned, when banking to Asiamiles..
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
But it's a roundtrip!!! Of course you've earned exactly what you've flown. So your point is....???
Thats why i said now that I think about it... I didnt remember that i flew RT or one way when i first posted.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
(I believe this is a non-EXP) AA has 5-day holds on CX too:

Originally Posted by jk7
I've managed to book two business rewards seats flying JFK - BKK for June 30th. I currently have an almost expiring 5 day hold on 1 seat HKG to JFK on July 22nd. Does anyone have a suggestion if I should just book this and hope I can find a second, or totally roll the dice and hope I find two?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just checked in at Vancouver for the first of 2 CX long hauls this weekend and am freeloading in the lounge. Oops that's right, I paid cash for this ticket, so I guess I can enjoy and travel guilt free on "your" airline.

And yes, AA does allow a 5 day hold for partner awards for all members. I bet if you dig around some more you will find even more ways in which AAdvatange beats AM.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:24 pm

Amazing how so many people on the CX forum are complaining why the race to the bottom isn't moving any faster. Just because CX decides to shaft you with fees doesn't mean that AA needs to follow to be "fair".

And for those complaining that CX is shafting its loyal members by making award seats, then why do you continue to show CX any loyalty at all when it doesn't care about you? I gave up on CX years ago, switched to AA/AS and had a good haul over the last few years.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by tng11
And for those complaining that CX is shafting its loyal members by making award seats, then why do you continue to show CX any loyalty at all when it doesn't care about you? I gave up on CX years ago, switched to AA/AS and had a good haul over the last few years.
I just made the switch to CX 7-8 months ago, and must say it really is bewildering how anyone can stay blindly loyal to CX. Here're some common complaints: inability to get through to MPC/AM, inedible food on board, no status miles for elites, constant cost cutting by management. And this is coming from people frequenting the CX forums, which tends to attract only the most fervent fanboys.

I also know it's fashionable to bash SQ around here, but having been PPS before, I got to say dealing with SQ is so much easier than dealing with MPC. Top that off with better food and service on board (and waaaaay better seats in regional J), I really don't know what there is to complain about.

Having said that, I'm still grudgingly married to CX for now because I live in HK now and can't imagine how long it'll take to get through to reservations if I don't have elite status. I remember trying to call the CX hotline once when I was still banking with QF; I was still listening to Robbie Williams after an hour on the treadmill. (Anyone still remember that Feel song?)

Maybe things will improve if/when I make DM, but til then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.