Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Getting an earlier flight out of MNL to HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport

Flying from MNL-HKG on the day after Christmas. We have a two night stopover in HKG before flying onward to LAX. We are currently booked on the last flight out of MNL because the original itinerary had us headed to LAX on CX880 the same night. I'm just wondering what our chances might be of getting seats on an earlier departure the same day of our flight. It would be nice to get some extra time at our hotel since they are charging a premium for the night of the 26th.

This worked for us a few years back, but we weren't flying just after Christmas that time.

If we can't change the flight, what are the odds that we can make the last Airport Express train into town given that our flight arrives HKG at 23:15?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by jsnearline
Flying from MNL-HKG on the day after Christmas. We have a two night stopover in HKG before flying onward to LAX. We are currently booked on the last flight out of MNL because the original itinerary had us headed to LAX on CX880 the same night. I'm just wondering what our chances might be of getting seats on an earlier departure the same day of our flight. It would be nice to get some extra time at our hotel since they are charging a premium for the night of the 26th.

This worked for us a few years back, but we weren't flying just after Christmas that time.

If we can't change the flight, what are the odds that we can make the last Airport Express train into town given that our flight arrives HKG at 23:15?
Day after Christmas out of MNL shouldn't be an issue. You could probably get on the 5:10am flight if need be.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH

Doable and I have actually done it twice this year. Here is the drill

Show up at the airport and check in. You would be checked in on your original flight and asked to stand by at gate or in the lounge. Closer to departure, if there are seats, you will be called and new boarding passes issued to you.

Note though, any special diet and preferred seats will not carry over to the earlier flight so you might well end up stuck in middle seats if you fly Economy.

This was my experience changing from 934 to 902 and 902 to 918 on Fridays which are fairly heavy days
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Well I got in touch with CX and when I explained the situation, they were very understanding and offered to rebook us from 934 to 902 for no charge. It's not a lot of extra time, but every little bit helps. They would have rebooked us earlier but there's no availability on the earlier flights in our fare class. I figure we can go a little early and try to get onto 918.

I suppose we can't go too early or else some family members may be too hung over after Christmas to see us off.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Well I got in touch with CX and when I explained the situation, they were very understanding and offered to rebook us from 934 to 902 for no charge. It's not a lot of extra time, but every little bit helps. They would have rebooked us earlier but there's no availability on the earlier flights in our fare class. I figure we can go a little early and try to get onto 918.

I suppose we can't go too early or else some family members may be too hung over after Christmas to see us off.
I would try to get on 918. 902 and 934 will get you caught in bad traffic approaching the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm hoping to get on 906 or 900 instead of 902. Is there any way I can check seat availability to see what has most availability? For same day change, do they care about which fare bucket we're booked in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.