Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge for Biz Class @ HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Great information everyone....I really, really appreciate it.

Question though....why do I need to make sure the first lounge stamps our bp? I'm assuming that is boarding pass, but I don't know why I need to do this? I may forget (it will be a long flight before we get to Hong Kong) and I want to know what that means.

Thanks.

Dawn
You can probably show your BPs and don't need any stamps. I just always do that if I plan to go to another lounge. It saves time if there is a line. The stamp is not applicable for the QF lounge.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Great information everyone....I really, really appreciate it.

Question though....why do I need to make sure the first lounge stamps our bp? I'm assuming that is boarding pass, but I don't know why I need to do this? I may forget (it will be a long flight before we get to Hong Kong) and I want to know what that means.

Thanks.

Dawn
The first lounge you enter (for Cathay Pacific) will usually put a little red stamp on your boarding pass. This indicates you have been 'processed' for the day, and when you go to the next lounge you can simply show the boarding pass and enter. You don't have to 'register' again (and they won't ask for your lounge invite etc)

It's probably not essential, and doesn't apply to the QF lounge.

(edited: apologies cxfan - didn't see you replied already as i didn't check page 2 of the thread!)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The first lounge you enter (for Cathay Pacific) will usually put a little red stamp on your boarding pass. This indicates you have been 'processed' for the day, and when you go to the next lounge you can simply show the boarding pass and enter. You don't have to 'register' again (and they won't ask for your lounge invite etc)

It's probably not essential, and doesn't apply to the QF lounge.
Red is for F lounge. OP is flying business and blue is for J lounge.

One side note - if you plan on shopping and returning to the same lounge, you can also consider getting the reentry stamp upon entering the lounge the first time.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
(edited: apologies cxfan - didn't see you replied already as i didn't check page 2 of the thread!)
Haha, I do that quite often too. We said the same thing. So I didn't lie.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
They still scan your BP even with the stamp if you go to another lounge. I never really saw how useful it is. Maybe only if you are re-entering the same lounge.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by hphreak
They still scan your BP even with the stamp if you go to another lounge. I never really saw how useful it is. Maybe only if you are re-entering the same lounge.
I've never had my bp scanned even when entering the first lounge in HK. the only lounge that scans my bp is when I fly out of LAX. I do get the lounge invitations when checking in at the counter so maybe you don't? when I do lounge hop they just look for the stamp and welcome me in hkg. interesting that they scan your bp. I'll verify this again next week
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by dek526
I've never had my bp scanned even when entering the first lounge in HK. the only lounge that scans my bp is when I fly out of LAX. I do get the lounge invitations when checking in at the counter so maybe you don't? when I do lounge hop they just look for the stamp and welcome me in hkg. interesting that they scan your bp. I'll verify this again next week
In fact they did to me twice in the past. So they may, but it is quite unusual.

The first time was when I moved from Wing to KA lounge (right after the merger - I kind of remember it was still called KA lounge, not G16).

The second time was I was on a transit flight. After I finished dinner in the Wing, I went to G16 to guest my niece in. I was flying CX to SFO, and she was flying BA to LHR departing Gate 17 (or 16 or 18). The G16 lounge agent scanned my BP and said okay as I did not have any guest when I was in The Wing.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dek526
Usually at the first lounge you enter, the agents will collect your lounge invitation and scan that (if it is busy, particularly at the Wing, they may just collect them and scan them en mass later). When you enter subsequent lounges with your reentry-stamped BP, the agents may scan the BP itself, or they may just look at the stamped BP and "accept" it.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
Usually at the first lounge you enter, the agents will collect your lounge invitation and scan that (if it is busy, particularly at the Wing, they may just collect them and scan them en mass later). When you enter subsequent lounges with your reentry-stamped BP, the agents may scan the BP itself, or they may just look at the stamped BP and "accept" it.
I usually head straight to the wing and just hand them my invitation and that's it. agents don't ask for my bp unless I ask for a stamp.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Invitation?

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
I do not have experience with "invitations." On Qantas and British Airways, we've just shown our BPs.

Is this something Cathay will give us after we check in at LAX?

Thanks...

Dawn
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I do not have experience with "invitations." On Qantas and British Airways, we've just shown our BPs.

Is this something Cathay will give us after we check in at LAX?

Thanks...

Dawn
Yes.

They look exactly like a boarding pass - and are printed on the same card/paper. They are spat out of the machine along with the boarding pass.

They're not essential to gain lounge admittance in Hong Kong, but it's easy just to hand them over and off you go into the lounge.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
I went to the Wing and then the Pier without getting any stamps, but after some shopping and coming back to the Pier, they did put a red "lounge re-entry" stamp on my BP.

P.S. I think in another thread (perhaps old) someone was asking whether your guest need to be departing on OW carrier to be admitted into the lounge. My companion was never asked for her BPs (though we were both flying CX/KA) the last two time we went through HKG.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I have a 4 hour layover in HKG (arriving at 6:00am) this Saturday. Will be flying business class.

I am thinking of camping down at either the Wing or Bridge. Any preference? Looking for a nice space, good views, sunlight, and good food and showers!

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I have a 4 hour layover in HKG (arriving at 6:00am) this Saturday. Will be flying business class.

I am thinking of camping down at either the Wing or Bridge. Any preference? Looking for a nice space, good views, sunlight, and good food and showers!

Thanks!
I like The Bridge best of the CX J lounges. At 6am you will have your pick of the best seats (the loungers to the right imo) before the rush arrives at 7ish.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I was thinking about the Bridge too. Just didnt know if there were more showers/nicer showers elsewhere
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Try the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge

In the evning hours they offer roast pork with rice and vegetables -- a classic cantonese dish and you should try it. They are available between 1700-1900 hours, just before their own flight leaves for Australia.

I tried The Wing, The Cabin and The Bridge plus Qantas HK Lounge. Personal favourite is QF lounge as the staffs regonise me and plenty of open sapce (and not crowded) and there is always a shower available which the quality in my view is better than the Wing J as it's bigger. Not too sure about the food though you will know when you're there!

In general The Wing J is really nice as the design is so urban. Food and drink is nice there (try the cakes) however it is too crowded -- too many noisy children and just a lot of people. I also think staffs are a bit stressed there.

So in general if you prefer atmosphere and a nice seat (they have a specially designed pot for one) then go for CX as the lighting and layout is very well done. However if you want to have nice open space then go for QF or CX Wing (it has two floors -- open soace upstairs). If you want as fewer guests as possible then go to QF Lounge. It can be found if you turn right immediately after passing security near check-in area J.

I am looking forward to see yiur reviews!

P.s. there is no shower in The Cabin.

Last edited by cysyuen; Dec 23, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.